Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

more rear brake woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
more rear brake woes

So I took my 09 SS with 8300 miles in to the dealer today for the power steering recall. I never received
My mail notice but I got real tired of driving without power steering (it went out totally at 7500 miles.)
So while it was at the dealer I told them to check the rear brakes. Since the day I drove it off the lot I had the horrible dreaded squeel that promptly embarased me in front of anyone I tried. to show off my new 23,000 dollar car to. Then at about 4000 miles the parking brake decides to only work when it wants to, including the very first time when it failed I was pulling into a driveway and it didn't engage AT ALL and nearly rolled back into traffic and killed me. Then after about 2 months of it either working somewhat or not at all, I was driving home 2 nights ago with the window down and heard a loud bang come from the rear driver side as I was braking to get off the highway at about 55 mph. It sounded like I ran something over but I know I didn't because there was nothing there. When I came to a full stop at the light on the exit ramp the brake petal felt like it was pushing back up against my foot and you could hear a loud clunk from under the car. Turns out my caliper took a huge dump, and will not engage the (badly warped) rotor AT ALL. Wtf? I bought it brand new with 9 miles never modded and almost all highway miles. The worst part is, the replacement caliper is on backorder and they can't get another part for at least 2 weeks. So I'm driving around with only 3 brakes engaging. This is my first ever chevy and so far I'm not too happy with it.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude if this is warranty work they need to be getting you a loaner..
because driving around on 3 brakes is unsafe, and if they refuse go up to the top bitching about it.

The deal is, this WAS a manufacture defect, if they have admitted that and it is covered to be fixed, you can't drive your car it is a danger to you and everyone on the road. THEY need to take care of you!

This is only my opinion and of course should not be taken as any sort of legal advice and what not...
Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^^ x 2

No way in hell would I let anyone drive away with only 3 brakes working on a beater, let alone a new car.

Your warranty does provide for a loaner if they need to keep your car - but a lot of dealers won't offer unless you ask.