Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Need advice on a mod and cel code

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on a mod and cel code

Can anybody give me some advice on using a cat delete header as far as long term vs. short term gains and losses? The vibrant cat delete header alone is gona cost me about the same as the header, downpipe, and muffler setup i was planning on going with originally. Just need some input before i decide bcus my check engine light came on and it threw me a P0420.. If im not mistaken the code should go away after i install the setup i want, but im not sure what will happen with the code if i go with a cat delete. if getting that straight thru header will serve me better and save me some money in the long run then i might go with that option. Thanks for any input
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
May have trouble with emmisions or the law. Also may sound like crap.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Banned

yea u won't pass emissions in cali without a cat. and depending on ur car. lsj, lnf, etc... it could get very loud. i wouldn't suggest it. btw where in cali r u?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Melon
yea u won't pass emissions in cali without a cat. and depending on ur car. lsj, lnf, etc... it could get very loud. i wouldn't suggest it. btw where in cali r u?
Im in the south bay. Its an lsj, i like some roar but i dont want it to be too loud or completely sound like bawlz
Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 PM

Isn't California one of the worst states for emissions also IIRC?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:48 PM

My experience only.......

Needed new downpipe after installing badmab header. Got the CATTED ZZP 2.5" pipe after reading a lot of posts and determining I wasn't going to do anything requiring a 3". Sounded great a bit louder when you put you foot into it and no emission or Law issues.

Then I changed my muffler and it sounded like CRAP with plenty of drone.

Went to ZZP again and got their resonator and now it sound GREAT. has some noise when you are really into the pedal and winding it out but quiet for my neighbors and cruising.

Sounds louder since this video was taken but it gives you an idea.

The LSJ can be really loud and sound like crap without the right components. For me i like this sound.

The dogs obviously hate it......
Old 02-13-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by FenderGuitars777
Isn't California one of the worst states for emissions also IIRC?
Yea unfortunately it is.. I cant even have a catless pipe shipped to my house. Id have to ship it to a relative out of state and get it from them if i really wanted one
Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jvirginillo
My experience only.......

Needed new downpipe after installing badmab header. Got the CATTED ZZP 2.5" pipe after reading a lot of posts and determining I wasn't going to do anything requiring a 3". Sounded great a bit louder when you put you foot into it and no emission or Law issues.

Then I changed my muffler and it sounded like CRAP with plenty of drone.

Went to ZZP again and got their resonator and now it sound GREAT. has some noise when you are really into the pedal and winding it out but quiet for my neighbors and cruising.

Sounds louder since this video was taken but it gives you an idea.

The LSJ can be really loud and sound like crap without the right components. For me i like this sound.

The dogs obviously hate it......
I like the sound you have. What muffler do u have on it? And why did you go against the 3"?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 PM

The muffler is just a Dynomax Stainless turbo. I forget the dimensions. Probably would have got a Flowmaster or Magnaflow if I had not got the deal on this one. (39.95 for stainless).

You really don't gain that much from 3" inch based on a lot of what I read here. You need to be pushing a lot more air through the engine. So maybe TVS and cams and headwork. I wasn't going to take it there.

I know enough from screing up other cars I had the even though you might gain a bit of HP at the top end by reducing some back pressure you can also lose bottom end and for me as a Daily driver torque is where its at. Top end usually gets the attention of the police when coupled with lots of noise.

So my setup is this

Badmab shorty header
ZZp catted Dp
ZZP Stainless Resonator ($119.00 2.5 inch for LSJ)
stock piping to Dynomax Oval stainless turbo muffler

I considered getting the piping replaced with mandrel bent pipes but to get that up here in Canada was too pricey.

This place sells a decent product for the DIY guy.

Mandrel Exhaust Systems - Featuring Mandrel Bends - Catback, Downpipe
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by jvirginillo
The muffler is just a Dynomax Stainless turbo. I forget the dimensions. Probably would have got a Flowmaster or Magnaflow if I had not got the deal on this one. (39.95 for stainless).

You really don't gain that much from 3" inch based on a lot of what I read here. You need to be pushing a lot more air through the engine. So maybe TVS and cams and headwork. I wasn't going to take it there.

I know enough from screing up other cars I had the even though you might gain a bit of HP at the top end by reducing some back pressure you can also lose bottom end and for me as a Daily driver torque is where its at. Top end usually gets the attention of the police when coupled with lots of noise.

So my setup is this

Badmab shorty header
ZZp catted Dp
ZZP Stainless Resonator ($119.00 2.5 inch for LSJ)
stock piping to Dynomax Oval stainless turbo muffler

I considered getting the piping replaced with mandrel bent pipes but to get that up here in Canada was too pricey.

This place sells a decent product for the DIY guy.

Mandrel Exhaust Systems - Featuring Mandrel Bends - Catback, Downpipe
Thats pretty much the exact setup i want. And thanks for the link cus i think i mite get my downpipe from them instead of zzp, gona do some homework on the company first tho
Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM

Yeah there was another guy on the forums I think from Winnipeg Manitoba who had a similar setup which I used to determine how to make mine get the sounds I wanted.

Just and FYI, the ZZP pipe is VERY good. Oh and pay for the extra bung even if you plug it. If you want to do tuning later and know your AFR you will need that. Any tuner will want you to have that bung. Wish I had ordered mine with it.