Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Need help asap, driving back to school tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help asap, driving back to school tomorrow!

Problems with coolant lining or Ic pump or something else. Put on s3 h/e a little while ago and havent noticed coolant running through the filler neck. Check the hosed on the h/e and they are not even hot but the temps were fine so i figured it was normal. put on a dual pass today and ran into some problems. Started up the car and heard a noise instantly, the filler caps drain tube was sucking in air. something must be backwards. secondly no new coolant was required and i thought this was odd because i had emptied some during the installation. Put coolant in any way and went for a drive. anything about 3k at normal accelaration the car will shoot out a bunch of white coolant smoke and sputter. The car still has good temps, i realy think i have some lines mixed up. The diagrams on this site are really misleading to me. Anyone have advice or any kind of idea of what might be going on? Why is there coolant coming out of my exhaust?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dbl check. Make sure you put everything on right
Old 10-23-2011, 01:16 PM

can anyone explain why there would be sucking through my overfill tube on my coolant filler?
this is the link zzp gave with the end plate-

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/sh...-Endplate-(LSJ)

and this is the link that zzp gave for the heat exchanger, this is how mine is run with the two outs of the endplate going to the filler cap.--

http://www.zzperformance.com/products_img/895_2.jpg

then we have this where the outs and ins on the aftermrket h/e are opposite of the above.

WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT?

Last edited by blacksss; 10-23-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:44 PM

please help someone?
Old 10-23-2011, 02:23 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...hanger-217578/
Old 10-23-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blacksss
can anyone explain why there would be sucking through my overfill tube on my coolant filler?
this is the link zzp gave with the end plate-

How-To : Dual-Pass Intercooler Endplate (LSJ))

and this is the link that zzp gave for the heat exchanger, this is how mine is run with the two outs of the endplate going to the filler cap.--

http://www.zzperformance.com/products_img/895_2.jpg

then we have this where the outs and ins on the aftermrket h/e are opposite of the above.

WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT?
I noticed the differeances as well. Also if you look with the dual pass, the pump feeds the HEs first, and without the dual pass the pump feeds the intake manifold first. Personally I dont see why it would matter, and it's alot of extra re-routing of the lines if you have singal pass and a HE and go to install Dual pass...

But anyhow, As for what you mentioned about the lines not being hot. I recently installed an extra HE (OTTP Stg1) and to plug the drain hole, I used a temp sensor I just happen to have laying arround. With everything running normally, my temp in the HE is only about 10 - 15 degrees above outside air temp. That kinda suprised me.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:43 PM

did you see the 3rd one i posted? that one is different as well. I really just want to know which one i should follow. also why i am getting coolant in my exhaust and why my filler neck is sucking in air is beside me.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
someone help this dude. i would if i knew lol
Old 10-23-2011, 03:22 PM

did you see the 3rd one i posted? that one is different as well. I really just want to know which one i should follow. also why i am getting coolant in my exhaust and why my filler neck is sucking in air is beside me.

Didnt see the coolant in the exaust part.
But now it all makes sence...

Laminova core leakage.

Suction from the intake is sucking in coolant, going through your cylinders and out the exhaust
Suction from the intake is putting suction on your IC plumbing, and thus causeing suction from your vent tube.

Sorry to say this but it sounds like your Intake manifold has to come off.

If the weather is cold enough, like below 70 you should be good to drive it with a dry IC system. Your IAT2s will get to around 150, just don't boost it. Drain your IC system so that you wont suck in water and get hydro lock the engine. Once you get it up to school you can take apart your intake manifold and try to fix/find your leak. If you do have to drive it with your system dry unplug the IC pump or take the fuse out so you dont burn up the pump by letting it freespin unloaded

The leak will allow unmetered air into the intake, but if it isnt too much your LTFTs will compensate for it. If it is too much expect a P0171 System Too Lean code to be set.

Also about the routing. As long as the routing goes through the stock he first then the aftermarket one, and goes through the cent of the Dual pass and out the sides, I dont think it matters much. I also have noticed the diffrent routings and have not gotten an awnser on that. I came up with a routeing on my own for simplicity...

This lets you add Dual Pass to an existing aftermarket HE setup without having to re rout your pump and Heat Exchangers... It's what I plan on useing.
Note: Use at own risk, I'm no engineer.

Last edited by insylem; 10-23-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:30 PM

thats fine if i have to take it off but what do i do to fix the leakage?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM

and that is the exact routing im at right now
Old 10-23-2011, 03:41 PM

thats fine if i have to take it off but what do i do to fix the leakage?
To fix it you have to find it. I have not done my dual pass endplate yet so I'm just going with a basic understanding of how it works. I suggest leaving the end plate on once you get your manifold off, and visually look for the leak, see if you can find wet spots. If you have some extra hose, you can try hooking up the middle port to the faucet on the sink and run tap water through it, see if/where it's leaking from. Or if you feel better, with the end plate facing up, fill through the center line with 50/50 Distilld water / Dex Cool and see if you can see where it's leaking from Just make sure you flush it out with distilled water and drain it before you reinstall it into your engine (If you used tap water). If a laminova cores is damaged you may have to replace it. Try putting some vasoline on the gasket. If the gasket is trashed you'll need new ones. The dealership only sells them with the entire intake manifold, but I think I saw some one a while ago mention where/how to get just the gaskets for them.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 PM

can you specify where the leakage would be? when you take off the supercharger and look into the intake manifold you can clearly see one of the cores through that hole. you can see it through a slit in the intake manifold so i dont understand how there wouldnt be coolant coming through there
Old 10-23-2011, 03:54 PM

can you specify where the leakage would be? when you take off the supercharger and look into the intake manifold you can clearly see one of the cores through that hole. you can see it through a slit in the intake manifold so i dont understand how there wouldnt be coolant coming through there
Sorry I can't be more exact. Having not done the dual pass yet myself I don't have much experience with this. I do understand that one of the laminova cores must be swapped from facing one direction to the other. That is probably the best place to start. Also I noticed on my end plate ( I have the parts already ) it looks like they all four meet there so could be on the end plate side too. You may have to take off the intake manifold to see it.

If you can jumper to get your IC pump running with the car off, and slowly dump more cooolant into the T neck, you should be able to see SOME leaking in the intake. Though it might only leak if a vacume is applied to the intake.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:58 PM

how do you go about jumping? and thanks for your helpp by the way
Old 10-23-2011, 04:03 PM

how do you go about jumping? and thanks for your helpp by the way
I'm going to have to research that. There should be a relay for the IC pump in the fuse box. Not sure wich one, you might be able to get it to turn on just by takeing the key to ON. I'll have to check to see if that works (Might depend on tune/pcm)
Old 10-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Ok Got it!
Under your fuse cover box.
The relays on your left (passanger side) the second relay from you. (Second from CAR's front should be first small one, with another small one next to it)
Should be the "AFTERCOOLER" Double check with the lableing on the under side of the fuse box cover.

Pull it out.
Then, look at it. Pin 87 and Pin 30 (Dont know why they arn't 1 2 3 4) are the contacts to enegerise the pump. Get a peice of wire a few inches long strip the ends, and insert into those two holes. They should be diagonal from each other. Closest to you on your left and farthest from you on your right. I just did that and my IC pump kicked on.

Also if you do have a leak make sure you add more coolant. If the system is empty, it wont leak even if a leak is present.

Last edited by insylem; 10-23-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:56 PM

you are the fing man!!! pump works, im going to rip of the man and see what the deal is. reroute the system like it says too and go from there thank you so much. If anyone else has any imput on what it could be throw in some suggestions please.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:32 PM

ok ripped off the mani and the bottom is filled with coolant, where should i go from here?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 PM

ok ripped off the mani and the bottom is filled with coolant, where should i go from here?
That confirms the suspicion of a leak in the intake manfold.

With the intake manifold off, dry off EVERYTHING. Then, with it positioned so that you can see everything, hook up some extra hoses readd coolant, so that you can see everything, and turn your pump on. You should be able to find the leak now. If not, take out your lavinova cores and inspect them each, as well as their gaskets. Also check the sealing of the endplate onto the intake manifold. Another thing you could try is if you dont have the extra hoses, is position the manifold (after drying everything) so that the end plate is facing up. Then fill it slowly through the water inlet (center) with coolant, and watch for where it comes out. (Other then the two other hose connections)
Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 PM

took off the endplate one of the o-rings was pinched in half, maybe we found the problem!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:59 PM

took off the endplate one of the o-rings was pinched in half, maybe we found the problem!
Make sure it was the only one that was pinched. Also make sure it wasn't damaged. Once you get it back together before you put it on, test it for leaks if you want. Once I do mine I intend to leak test mine before putting my intake manifold back on.

Glad you found the problem, glad I could help.
Good luck!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:42 AM

ya man i appreciate all of the help. If i were you i would follow the different routing. the way you intend on going is the way i had mine and there was no coolant flow. thanks again for all the help!