Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Need a quick suggestion..

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a quick suggestion..

Hey guys,

Looking to fix my cylinder 1 miss ASAP. Here are two codes I've gotten, directly related to the issue:

P0011 - camshaft position actuator bank 1 timing over advanced
P0301 - cylinder 1 misfire

I'm guessing these are both inter-related. The spark plugs were all just recently replaced and are good. What should my next plan of attack be? As in, what to check next, then after that, etc. I was assuming coil-pack. But please steer me in the right direction..

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 AM

hows it running. Is it running? Check the camshaft sensor? Hows your boot look? If it was a coil I would assume they'd all be missing.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM

It's running smooth and fine.

What's the camshaft sensor? Is that those two things that stick up next to the 1st cylinder?

My boot looks the same as the rest that it's NOT missing on.. However it's possibly a tad loose.. Can I buy just the boot first before replacing the coil-pack?

And no, not necessarily for the coil suggestion..
Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 PM

If it is loose you need to tighten it down. You have coil on plug right? The camshaft position sensor needs replacement, it is also possible you need to replace your timing chain tensioner, it WILL throw that code in 20-30 percent of cases before it starts making noise.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 AM

The boot isn't really able to be tightened down. I have tried to turn it, push it up, etc, and nothing works. I also tried some adhesive, etc to keep it stuck up there. Nothing. I'd assume I need a replacement. But can I buy just the boot it's self or do I need to replace the whole assembly? Any part numbers by chance?

Camshaft position sensor? Do you have a part number or some type of image of it? Same with timing chain tensioner? How will I know these are acting up? Expensive to replace? Can I do them myself?

The timing chain thing would make sense since my "timing is over advanced", correct?

I was also suggested to try replacing my two solenoids to the left of cylinder 1.

Here's the other thread. Check it out and see if it makes any sense:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/codes-camshaft-sensor-fuel-trim-balance-throwing-ideas-218344/

Items mentioned:

12628348 - Exhaust cam solenoid
12628347 - Intake cam solenoid

Seem to both be 100 bucks together, and easy to install..

Last edited by averagewhiteboy; 07-29-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 PM

So I found a dealer advisory on this problem.

Basically, the part has been redesigned. It states if customer complains of sluggishness, DTC shows P011 and there is reference voltage with the solenoid activated on the tech 2, replace it with new part, change the oil regardless of condition and instruct customer to use NON DETERGENT motor oils that are approved under GM 4718? (I'm going from memory sorry guys) The solenoid fails because debris scores the actuator housing and oil leaks past the actuator causing cam phase angles that were not commanded by the computer and throwing this code. Cleaning will not work.

This is similar to how dodge 46RE transmissions fail, debris passes through the governor pressure solenoid, scores the bore of the actuator and causes pressure differences that were not commanded.

So my fix.

Replace both camshaft actuator solenoids, change oil and filter with Mobil 1. Then verify the bad coil on plug by moving it to another cylinder and retesting the misfire. Once verified, replace bad coil pack AND plugs, because the high resistance of a particular plug can and will cause coil on plug configurations to fail. Ask anyone who owns a ford truck with some miles on it that has a 4.6 modular engine.

After replacing the above, make sure your car feels normal to you again, if it still feels off it probably is in which you will need to go back and retest it, it's unfair to those who don't have access to a tech2.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by army_greywolf
So I found a dealer advisory on this problem.

Basically, the part has been redesigned. It states if customer complains of sluggishness, DTC shows P011 and there is reference voltage with the solenoid activated on the tech 2, replace it with new part, change the oil regardless of condition and instruct customer to use NON DETERGENT motor oils that are approved under GM 4718? (I'm going from memory sorry guys) The solenoid fails because debris scores the actuator housing and oil leaks past the actuator causing cam phase angles that were not commanded by the computer and throwing this code. Cleaning will not work.

This is similar to how dodge 46RE transmissions fail, debris passes through the governor pressure solenoid, scores the bore of the actuator and causes pressure differences that were not commanded.

So my fix.

Replace both camshaft actuator solenoids, change oil and filter with Mobil 1. Then verify the bad coil on plug by moving it to another cylinder and retesting the misfire. Once verified, replace bad coil pack AND plugs, because the high resistance of a particular plug can and will cause coil on plug configurations to fail. Ask anyone who owns a ford truck with some miles on it that has a 4.6 modular engine.

After replacing the above, make sure your car feels normal to you again, if it still feels off it probably is in which you will need to go back and retest it, it's unfair to those who don't have access to a tech2.

We have a coil pack. Only one. Which is built into the ignition control mod. So you'd have to replace the whole thing if thats whats going on.
And a bit off topic, but don't all oils have detergents in them? except of course the ones that say non detergent on them. But I'm pretty sure the only ones we sell at my work that say that on the front are straight 30 weight.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:21 AM

I just replaced my plugs with new Delco Iridums and I just got a fresh Castrol Synthetic oil change less than a month ago.. I've ran synthetic since my first oil change..

Since there's a dealer advisory on this, would they give me any kind of reduced rate? Or should I just do it myself? Was it anything I did or just happenstance? and is the timing advanced code directly related to the P0011, so when I fix that, it'll fix the timing? Could this also be causing my tranny issue, or is that some other situation?

So your suggestion is to replace both of those solenoids and see what's up? The member in the thread I read did only the one and it fixed, but for 100 for both, I'll be safe. A guy with an HHR did both too and it fixed..

Also, could a vacuum leak around the MAF and/or miss-adjusted plugs cause any of these issues as well?

Lastly, on my cylinder 1 (the one throwing the code) the boot that connects the plug to the rest of the system seems a bit loose. I tried to adhere it better, but it didn't work too well. Can I buy just the boot, or do I need to buy the whole thing?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:09 PM

yeah, you can just buy a boot. Any parts store should care it. I'll let army greywolf answer your question about the solenoids, I'm not 100% on what your talking about there. Mis gapped plugs could cause your misfire. But ac delcos usually come close to stock gap. Wouldn't hurt to check.
A large vacuum leak would cause a miss on all cylinders. same with mass air flow sensor.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, it seems the list of defective parts on the Cobalt just keeps growing, hope you get yours fixed without to much money out of your pocket
Old 07-31-2010, 02:40 PM

So, today I sprayed out all of my electronic connections, sprayed off my MAF, as well as adjusted the seal, and I sprayed out the TB. I also checked all of my coil-packs and did the 1 to 4 change on the "bad" coil-pack. The one thing I did notice when I checked the plugs was that the Delco's that I bought for it said to not gap them. The stock gap should be .042 on them. It is .032! And when you try to re-gap them, the little stud snaps inside the plug (I tried on an old one). That can't be right..