Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Need some help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help please

Okay guys, I have a STOCK 06' SS/SC with 9,400 miles on it. I bought it with 4,000 miles on it. I went to check my oil level and smelled it out of curiousity and it smelled like gas. I went on to try and see what the problem was. My dipstick has not popped out and the car has great power and does not smoke or anything. I rarely go WOT with it.

I went to get my oil changed and within two days the oil smelled like gas again. Still suspecting blow by as the culprit I wanted to investigate a little further. I started the car and let it idle and then took off the oil cap (I know that's not a great thing to do, but it's not that bad and did not set a CEL). There was quite a bit of air coming out that smelled of gas vapor; I have seen a similar thread to this but it didn't answer the question.

I also found a thread about a TSB where the intake manifold gasket allows boost to leak and cause crankcase pressure to occur.

So here's my question: Do you guys think that this is more than likely my problem (Intake gasket) or would you say it's something else? Seeing as the cars on warranty and I know how GM can be I do not want to dig around trying to fix the problem. I am going to leave everything on them as far as repair so they have no reason to question me.

Opinions appreciated.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:28 AM

Maybe your running super uber ultra mega rich? Washing the cylinders and contaminating the oil with gas. I was tuning my friend, and for some reason, the car was commanding a 10.1 AFR!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:47 AM

Just take it to GM and let them figure them dig throught he crap satchel that you call your car... I love nothing more than being able to bring my car while under warranty. In fact since I have the extended warranty, I beg for **** to break. Sometimes I even remove my intake and pour water directly into the hole... just to see what happens... I figure I might as well get my money's worth and by that, I mean I want a new engine after 500 miles. ;0
Old 05-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
Maybe your running super uber ultra mega rich? Washing the cylinders and contaminating the oil with gas. I was tuning my friend, and for some reason, the car was commanding a 10.1 AFR!!!
Yeah, I was wondering about this as well. I pulled all of the plugs and all of them looked good with a tan tint to there insulators; they didn't look perfect but none of them stood out (could be because all of them were running rich).

The part I don't like is the gas smell coming from the oil filler hole and the oil on the dipstick. In the filler hole it smells like a vapor, and the oil smells like a mixture. This is why that TSB struck me as a possibility. Oh well, I'll just take it in to the dealership.

Originally Posted by alaskacobalt
Just take it to GM and let them figure them dig throught he crap satchel that you call your car... I love nothing more than being able to bring my car while under warranty. In fact since I have the extended warranty, I beg for **** to break. Sometimes I even remove my intake and pour water directly into the hole... just to see what happens... I figure I might as well get my money's worth and by that, I mean I want a new engine after 500 miles. ;0
Hahaha, that's one way of looking at it I guess.

Last edited by Mikey851; 05-20-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost