Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

New TSB : Aftermarket tunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...-overview.html

Two sections jumped out at me.

"The Vehicle Theft Deterrent Feature provides the capability to detect if modules have been substituted, indicating a potential theft situation, and will not allow continued running of the engine in that case. The Immobilizer Master (BCM) identifies itself to the Vehicle Identification Devices (IPC, HVAC, BCM, ECM, SDM and SCLCM - if equipped). If the Immobilizer Master is recognized as correct, the Vehicle Identification Devices respond with specific environment identification.

The Immobilizer Master is required to receive a certain number of correct environment identifications in order to authorize the powertrain control module to allow normal engine operation."

and

"The purpose of Seed and Key is to protect certain control modules from unauthorized reprogramming when they are outside of the assembly plant environment."

If you read the GM tech link it goes into greater detail to explain why it is no longer acceptable or feasible for techs to swap out ECU / ECM when trying to diagnose a problem. Swapping them will create a no start issue.

It appears this only impacts future model years.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madmark
that tsb has been out for about 2 years, tunes and cold air intakes on h2's would cause engine problems
Originally Posted by outtamymind
that tsb has been out for about a year now.
The GDS part of this TSB has been out since April 7th 2010 ...... i posted the one about looking with the tech2 along time ago so i know the TSB your thinking about but they are different ........ this is new info combined with old.

Originally Posted by Permafried-
GM will constantly pull the reigns tighter on this, besides on any major motor failure chances are GM will send an engineer on-site instead of having the dealership confirm the parameters, etc.
Exactly ..... on a hard part failure .... dealers won't have a say in fixing the car under warranty or not .... the approval will have to come down from the regional service rep.

Last edited by rukkee; 04-15-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2010, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rukkee
The GDS part of this TSB has been out since April 7th 2010 ...... i posted the one about looking with the tech2 along time ago so i know the TSB your thinking about but they are different ........ this is new info combined with old.

Exactly ..... on a hard part failure .... dealers won't have a say in fixing the car under warranty or not .... the approval will have to come down from the regional service rep.
ya i was thinking about the original diesel tsb about aftermarket tunes. thanks for the correction rukkee