Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

No cooling fans at all

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No cooling fans at all

I figured I post this up before I got go later and start tracing down wires . Maybe someone else has had them problem .

My fans just stopped working at the dragstrip lastnight . All the relays are verified GOOD , both fuse links for fan 1 and 2 are good . Thats what makes this prob wierd . Ive never cut or spliced into any of the cooling fan circuits . Last night it threw a p0481 code for cooling fan 2 , but never threw a code for the fan 1 . The only relay I didnt verify yet is the cool/serpa relay ....if this one is bad , can it kill both fans ??

Anyone else ever had a prob like this with the fans ? Weird electrical probs suck
Old 05-19-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
I figured I post this up before I got go later and start tracing down wires . Maybe someone else has had them problem .

My fans just stopped working at the dragstrip lastnight . All the relays are verified GOOD , both fuse links for fan 1 and 2 are good . Thats what makes this prob wierd . Ive never cut or spliced into any of the cooling fan circuits . Last night it threw a p0481 code for cooling fan 2 , but never threw a code for the fan 1 . The only relay I didnt verify yet is the cool/serpa relay ....if this one is bad , can it kill both fans ??

Anyone else ever had a prob like this with the fans ? Weird electrical probs suck
Have fun with that i HATE electrical probs.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You blew out the fan motors. I manage a collision center and see it all the time. If the fuses and relays are all good, then the fan motors are shot. You cannot buy the motors seperately though. You must purchase the entire fan assembly. GM part number is 22718765 for an 06 ss/sc. $285.27
Old 05-19-2007, 09:36 AM

I manage a collision center and see it all the time.

first off you need not announce your position and a full biography when posting. everyone already knows.

you said you see it at a collision center. yes i could see it there, but this happened to him after racing. probably jarred a ground loose if you ask me. trace your grounds........do you still have warrenty? i dont see them not covering it for any reason
Old 05-19-2007, 09:44 AM

Later when I go work on the car , I will test both fans to see if they'll work being wired direct off the battery. I wouldnt think the both fan motors would go at the same time . I dont think in all my years I ever had a GM eletric fan actually burn the motor up .

No warranty here , Im at 55K miles .

Last edited by SilverSS/SC; 05-19-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:18 AM

i would try useing some test wires from the battery to see if the fans still work before saying there burn't up.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ted5986
I manage a collision center and see it all the time.

first off you need not announce your position and a full biography when posting. everyone already knows.

you said you see it at a collision center. yes i could see it there, but this happened to him after racing. probably jarred a ground loose if you ask me. trace your grounds........do you still have warrenty? i dont see them not covering it for any reason

Just because I see that problem at a collision center does not mean that I see it as a result of an accident. I see people come in for that sort of problem all the time in all makes of vehicles. And as stated before, if it is not a bad relay or fuse then it is usually the fan motor itself which is blown. The only reason why I state what my profession is is to give credibility to what I am saying. There are a lot of people on these forums who give advice cars that don't even know what a 3/8 drive ratchet is.