Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Oil change poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well lots of good input. After putting some thought into it I am still unsure. I must have documentation that it was done by a ASE certified tech. Anyways...not sure if I trust the folks at wal-mart. I am leaning towards the dealer. Because when I add in the cost of the regular tire rotation and balance the playing field is narrowed drastically. The price tag nears 100 bucks pretty quick.

Carmax oil change and tire rotation: 78 plus tax...i get a discount ( wife works there so 78-discount)
Walmart oil change and tire rotation: 70 bucks minus my employee discount. But its walmart..any doubts?
Chevy dealer: oil change alone is about 75 bucks plus tire rotation just about 90 bucks.

plus how do you guys feel about following the oil life indicator to signal oil changes?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by DSmastery
i dont trust myself to change it haha

its not like i dont have the time
i dont have all the tools to do it
it's a no brainer. the plug is starring at you in the face once you get in there. I'd make a sex reference at this point, but I'm trying to stay on topic...
Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 PM

Well lots of good input. After putting some thought into it I am still unsure. I must have documentation that it was done by a ASE certified tech. Anyways...not sure if I trust the folks at wal-mart. I am leaning towards the dealer. Because when I add in the cost of the regular tire rotation and balance the playing field is narrowed drastically. The price tag nears 100 bucks pretty quick.

Carmax oil change and tire rotation: 78 plus tax...i get a discount ( wife works there so 78-discount)
Walmart oil change and tire rotation: 70 bucks minus my employee discount. But its walmart..any doubts?
Chevy dealer: oil change alone is about 75 bucks plus tire rotation just about 90 bucks.

plus how do you guys feel about following the oil life indicator to signal oil changes?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
$32 for an oil change?!?! Damn Americans and your cheap pricing lmao!

I change my own oil I use Mobil 1 full syn 5L for $39 at wal*mart and a fram Filter wich is like $8(( all napa stores and dealerships are too damn far for delco filters)). I seafoamed it last time, should have seen all the crap come out...

Whenever I change my oil I liquid Silicone all the weather stripping and white lithium the metal contact points(door bolts etc)

and to everyone who says they dont have the tools to do it... if you have a jack, two hands, and some basic hand tools you can do it, its crazy easy...
Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont trust myself to change it haha

its not like i dont have the time
i dont have all the tools to do it
OMG...do you know how many time my wife came home after an oil change with the cap sitting on the valve cover and oil spray all over the motor?!!!? ONCE...LOL...I told her to never to trust these monkeys before leaving the place again...
Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jthomas9

For the oil life indicator...I'm old school, changing it at 3000 just makes me feel good so I do it. Its prolly excessive, but I like to do it.

I question the validity of a warranty that requires ASE certified mechanics to work on it.....But the walmart techs most certainly are not ASE, so if you truely do need a certified mechanic to change oil (LOL), then don't take it there.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mexi_loco
it's a no brainer. the plug is starring at you in the face once you get in there. I'd make a sex reference at this point, but I'm trying to stay on topic...
haha ok so its not hard to get the filter off, any tools needed?

i have ratchets and ****, i dont have a thing to catch the oil, i guess i could something capable of holding the reminding amount

no special tools?
i dont mind doing it at all
Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Banned

You need a 32mm socket and an extension, and a 15mm wrench.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
yeah I just used a basic socket set and an adjustable wrech (for the plastic cap) and an old antifreeze jug to catch the oil with, went without a hitch
Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by StevoElSupremo
and to everyone who says they dont have the tools to do it... if you have a jack, two hands, and some basic hand tools you can do it, its crazy easy...
i has those things hhahaha
next oil change ill use those tools

Originally Posted by msfitoy
OMG...do you know how many time my wife came home after an oil change with the cap sitting on the valve cover and oil spray all over the motor?!!!? ONCE...LOL...I told her to never to trust these monkeys before leaving the place again...
haha thats booboo

u hit those guys like that oil commercial with the oil getting poured on them hahaha

Originally Posted by DeepBlack SS
You need a 32mm socket and an extension, and a 15mm wrench.
i need that haha

i just have a craftsman set rockin

Last edited by DSmastery; 05-24-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about you guys but my SS/TC takes roughly 15 minutes to do and costs with $30 of synthetic/filter from Walmart...
Old 05-24-2010, 10:53 PM

u guys dont have Target out in your town's?

here where i live wal mart is crap filled with mexicans
Old 05-24-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by jthomas9

(1) Even when you go to the dealership, an ASE certified WILL NOT work on your oil change. It will be a lube tech, some lackey that just started his career in the automotive field. He is not ASE certified, but he's certified to change your oil, barely in most cases. All of the ASE certified guys are working on the designated problems that they are certified to work on (i.e. - brakes, suspension, a/c, electrical, driveability, basic engine repair). A monkey flinging **** can change oil and rotate tires with the proper tools.

(2) NTB, for example, will throw in a FREE tire rotation and wheel balance with the purchase of an oil change. Go to their website. You can print off their coupon. I used to work there, I know.

I'm gonna **** some people off here, but oh well. Just because a technician is ASE certified, doesn't make him/her the end all authority of your vehicle's performance. the union of Automotive Service Excellence (that's right, union) holds their MEMBERS to a higher standard of service. How do they do this? They stick people with at least two years experience in their desired area of expertise in a room for four hours and take a standard test. So any monkey that's been changing brakes can pay thirty bucks, take a test (that there's plenty of study guides for) and become ASE certified. Doesn't mean that the newly certified tech is better at changing brakes than the non-certified tech. Just means he knows how to pass a stupid test. Hell, for the things I've seen, some ASE techs don't know **** about even changing oil. The only thing that certification is good for is to make sure that the tech gets a higher pay than the average non-certified technician. It doesn't benefit the average consumer unless the technician has the experience to back it up. And if they do, they're certainly not gonna be changing oil. They're more interested in driveability issues like sensors, and emmisions.

So, in the end, you're not getting what you want any how. You are just as qualified as the dealership tech to change your own oil, and you do it at a much cheaper cost than that tech.

u guys dont have Target out in your town's?

here where i live wal mart is crap filled with mexicans
come again?

Last edited by mexi_loco; 05-24-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Banned

I'm gonna **** some people off here, but oh well. Just because a technician is ASE certified, doesn't him/her the end all authority of your vehicle's performance. the union of Automotive Service Excellence (that's right, union) holds their MEMBERS to a higher standard of service. How do they do this? They stick people with at least two years experience in their desired area of expertise in a room for four hours and take a standard test. So any monkey that's been changing brakes can pay thirty bucks, take a test (that there's plenty of study guides for) and become ASE certified. Doesn't mean that the newly certified tech is better at changing brakes than the non-certified tech. Just means he knows how to pass a stupid test. Hell, for the things I've seen, some ASE techs don't know **** about even changing oil. The only thing that certification is good for is to make sure that the tech gets a higher pay than the average non-certified technician. It doesn't benefit the average consumer unless the technician has the experience to back it up. And if they do, they're certainly not gonna be changing oil. They're more interested in driveability issues like sensors, and emmisions.

You are absolutely correct. Worked at a Pennzoil place for 2 years, there was one ASE certified guy there.........What a *******.

EDIT: and I'm hoping that when he uses the term "Mexican" he is using the actual definition, those with Mexican citizenship, most likely don't speak English, and are probably here illegaly, I'm sure he would never want to say anything bad about Hispanics.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:59 PM

I used to go to UTI...I know a thing or two about piles of **** getting their ASE and calling themselves "master technicians"

edit...yeah gotta hate those damn "mexicans" from canada too then, huh?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 PM

5qts shows perfectly on my LE5.

Ive been running 0w-30 in the winter and 5w-30 when its warmer. I did go 6500 miles once. But DONT recommend it. The bosche filter in there was barely holding together and the oil was damn black. So from now on its back to 3000 mile changes. I dont care if gm says I can go 10,000 miles. Im not doing it!

And yes its about 32 bux to do an oil change yourself.

Oh and the local gm dealers dont run synthetic unless you pay more for it. Otherwise you get conventional!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
5qts shows perfectly on my LE5.

Ive been running 0w-30 in the winter and 5w-30 when its warmer. I did go 6500 miles once. But DONT recommend it. The bosche filter in there was barely holding together and the oil was damn black. So from now on its back to 3000 mile changes. I dont care if gm says I can go 10,000 miles. Im not doing it!

And yes its about 32 bux to do an oil change yourself.

Oh and the local gm dealers dont run synthetic unless you pay more for it. Otherwise you get conventional!
5 qts is fine for LE5's, but us LSJ boys have to put 6.5 qts of full synthetic. And there's a reason why you have to pay extra for full synthetic. It's "synthetic" or "man made". It's hand crafted juice that has enhanced cleaning, lubrication, and cooling properties that conventional crude oil will never have. That's why they recommend full synthetic on high performance engines, and why full synthetic is the base for most (if not all) high mileage oils.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 PM

come again?
its not big here like in other states and its over ran, no spam just true story here sir
Old 05-24-2010, 11:12 PM

you live in california...techinically...you're the illegal alien. but back on topic
Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 PM

hahaha ^ awesome
Old 05-24-2010, 11:15 PM

5 qts is fine for LE5's, but us LSJ boys have to put 6.5 qts of full synthetic. And there's a reason why you have to pay extra for full synthetic. It's "synthetic" or "man made". It's hand crafted juice that has enhanced cleaning, lubrication, and cooling properties that conventional crude oil will never have. That's why they recommend full synthetic on high performance engines, and why full synthetic is the base for most (if not all) high mileage oils.
lol well aware of all of that. Been wrenching on cars for around 15-16 years. Was just stating most gm dealerships will only put in conventional unless you state to put in synthetic.

btw you sounded like a mobil 1 or castrol commercial

And actually from my walk down the walmart aisle the other day it seems most full mileage oils still arent a full synthetic. But there are high mileage full synthetics out there.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 PM

Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 PM

Folks I know that I have to pay extra for synthetic...some research break through. Spoke with the service department at carmax. They use the full synthetic, but its from carquest....brand unknown...lol.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Banned

Heads up - Legally semi synthetic oils only need to contain something like 7% synthetic oil to be advertised as such.

not sure on high mileage, but I don't think it is required, or usually has any.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 AM

Just adding my 2 cents

An LNF is easier to change oil on than an LSJ because it doesn't have a damn supercharger in the way.

Carquest gets their oil somewhere. Ask them. They should know. I bet it's a major oil company. My company sells oil under the Parts Master name. It's Valvoline.

GM dealerships won't bother asking if you want synthetic if your car requires it. It's automatic, including the cost. And if they aren't using Mobil 1 when the oil cap says to they can get into big trouble.

Jiffy Lube doesn't have ASE techs and Carmax won't void your warranty if they change your oil.

To save time on doing an oil change get some ramps you can drive onto. Much quicker than jacking. Oil with only 7% synthetic is labeled synthetic blend. Much different than full synthetic.

ASE testing is a joke. They even offer a certification for parts. I took the test shortly after starting with my company because they paid for it. I only missed certification because of the account questions. I never studied.

Quick Reply: Oil change poll