Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

oil life display (how true is it?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
**** the meter i just go 3-5000 miles and change that ****
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are just throwing your money away.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Yeah, 3k oil change is a waste when using synthetic oils. Even most conventional oils are now blended with synthetic and last much longer than 3k.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by winning_blue
Just wondering how much I should worry about my oil life running "low"?
If it's okay, I have some information on the Oil Life System (OLS) that might be interesting for you.

The OLS is a computer-based software algorithm that calculates the right time to change a vehicle's engine oil based on operating conditions (climate, driving conditions, etc). When it is time for an oil change, a "change oil" message will light up on the instrument panel or driver information center. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of 7,000 miles and as high as 12,000 miles. The vehicle oil should then be changed within 600 miles of the display message.

The OLS monitors engine combustion events while also estimating oil temperature based on other engine operating conditions. Short trips, cold temperatures and towing loads all shorten the time between oil changes, while highway driving and milder temperatures extend the life of engine oil. It will automatically adjust the oil-change interval based on driving habits, engine characteristics and climate. From here, the computer is able to determine the rate of oil deterioration and notifies the driver when to change the oil.

Of course, you're fine to change the oil before the OLS sets off the "change oil" message, and the OLS is not calibrated to account for synthetic oils but rather the factory fill requirement.

Hope this information was useful to you all!
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 03-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
If it's okay, I have some information on the Oil Life System (OLS) that might be interesting for you.

The OLS is a computer-based software algorithm that calculates the right time to change a vehicle's engine oil based on operating conditions (climate, driving conditions, etc). When it is time for an oil change, a "change oil" message will light up on the instrument panel or driver information center. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of 7,000 miles and as high as 12,000 miles. The vehicle oil should then be changed within 600 miles of the display message.

The OLS monitors engine combustion events while also estimating oil temperature based on other engine operating conditions. Short trips, cold temperatures and towing loads all shorten the time between oil changes, while highway driving and milder temperatures extend the life of engine oil. It will automatically adjust the oil-change interval based on driving habits, engine characteristics and climate. From here, the computer is able to determine the rate of oil deterioration and notifies the driver when to change the oil.

Of course, you're fine to change the oil before the OLS sets off the "change oil" message, and the OLS is not calibrated to account for synthetic oils but rather the factory fill requirement.

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Nice info Sarah!! Thanks for sharing
Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Nice info Sarah!! Thanks for sharing
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 PM

strange my lnf runs around 200f when cruising around town and when i get on it, it drops to the 180s
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Nothin Stock

iv heard it the best system then the other manufactures
Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc

Sarah
GM Customer Service

i remember when everyone thought you were trouble.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM

first off, i love my ride, however i do not change my oil any earlier than at 10% oil life, im not made of money hahaha damn car already sucks the money like gas hahaha not to mention its not a hand made lambo

Never have any problems, computer takes into account many aspects as mentioned above posts, (driving style, warm ups, weather temps etc) all to give the 'life' reading.

To each their own, i prefer getting the most for my doller so its absolutly ludacris to me changeing oil @ 50% when there is plenty of life remaining within the oil (synthetic also has better properties, were not in the 90's anymore people, oil has changed lol. As manufacturer spec all LNF come with and call for synthetic).

Also seafoamed recently, i made sure to include proper dose for lifter, springs etc, shiz is amazing!!! love it
heres a link below for css how to.......
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...ct-how-255543/
Old 03-13-2012, 04:10 PM

I still have mine changed regularly @ around 0-10%, using one of the best true synthetics on the market.

However guys, I hate to break the oil bubble here......

Oil changes aren't actually really all that necessary. In this perspective all a car really needs oil-wise are good top-off's and an occasional oil filter replacement. Anything more is just treating it with a lil more love.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:34 PM

The oil life monitor does look at how you drive. More WOT accelerations you do for example will drop the life much faster.

Originally Posted by warrenb213
Oil changes aren't actually really all that necessary. In this perspective all a car really needs oil-wise are good top-off's and an occasional oil filter replacement. Anything more is just treating it with a lil more love.
huhh??
Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what the hell?

The factory fill requirement *IS* synthetic on the turbo cars.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
what the hell?

The factory fill requirement *IS* synthetic on the turbo cars.
Its a general statement. Not every car with the olm requires synthetic. If your car doesn't require it and you switch of won't compensate.