Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Oil Life monitoring system question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Life monitoring system question

How many people go by this when deciding when to change their oil? Mine says 63% oil life remaining with 2930 miles on the odo. I usually dump the first factory fill around 1500-2000 miles, and am really getting worried. What do you guys do?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
follow the moniter, gm put thousands of dollars designing a system to save you money and help reduce the amount of waste oil because its being changed sooner than needed. the system calculates oil life based on a lot of variables such as engine warm up time, drive time, how hard you drive it, vehicle speeds, ect. also keep in mind your car uses synthetic oil, it will last a lot longer. it takes some getting used to. my average milage is around 8000km (about 5k miles) between oil changes.

i myself would change the oil at this point though being a new car, it just good for peice of mind. after that, follow the oil life moniter.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sharkey
follow the moniter, gm put thousands of dollars designing a system to save you money and help reduce the amount of waste oil because its being changed sooner than needed. the system calculates oil life based on a lot of variables such as engine warm up time, drive time, how hard you drive it, vehicle speeds, ect. also keep in mind your car uses synthetic oil, it will last a lot longer. it takes some getting used to. my average milage is around 8000km (about 5k miles) between oil changes.

i myself would change the oil at this point though being a new car, it just good for peice of mind. after that, follow the oil life moniter.

doesnt the oil life moniter work strictly off km's/miles driven???

mines at 0%, i use only synthetic. but im getting it changed monday..meh not a big deal untill the motor siezes up
Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Projekt
doesnt the oil life moniter work strictly off km's/miles driven???

mines at 0%, i use only synthetic. but im getting it changed monday..meh not a big deal untill the motor siezes up
I believe he is right about how it calculates life percentage. Either way they didn't put all that money into it and put it in the car if they didn't think it worked accurately.

Lots of times new engines come with a slightly different oil to help the break in process. Once again since GM doesn't think you need to change the oil right away and in theory they know more about the car than any of us I'd believe them. In fact most new cars go to the normal recommended oil change interval now instead of doing 1 really early to clean things out. Manufacturing and oil quality are better these days which allows you to go longer between changes safely.

I changed mine at around 8-10%.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by emiller
I believe he is right about how it calculates life percentage. Either way they didn't put all that money into it and put it in the car if they didn't think it worked accurately.

Lots of times new engines come with a slightly different oil to help the break in process. Once again since GM doesn't think you need to change the oil right away and in theory they know more about the car than any of us I'd believe them. In fact most new cars go to the normal recommended oil change interval now instead of doing 1 really early to clean things out. Manufacturing and oil quality are better these days which allows you to go longer between changes safely.

oh neat, i didnt know that.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM

id change it now just to be on the safer side since it is a brand new motor.

but after that i generally change mine at 3500-4000 miles. all preference really. do what you feel is right, so long as the oil gets changed at resonable intervals.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM

With break in oil you should change it at 1000 miles... they don't put the synthetic in for break in... they use a standard oil to set the seals!

Change it... reset it and then do your normal 3000 mile or whatever oil changes!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:36 PM

Here is the GM description on it. Honda has a similar system too. Since 2 companies have come up with a similar idea it makes me pretty confident that it works as described. If it didn't we would be hearing about huge numbers warranty claims and the costs would kill them down the road.

GM Oil Life System

GM’s Oil Life System informs the driver when an oil change is required based on driving conditions and not on a predetermined time or mileage basis, such as the three months or 3,000 miles recommended by many manufacturers in the past. GM’s Oil Life System monitors engine speed and temperature, and the computer continuously examines engine conditions to determine when it's time to change the motor oil. This system can double or even triple the time needed between oil changes, and if used properly, can help consumers save time and money connected with unnecessary oil changes.

“A driver whose fuel tank is still two thirds full wouldn’t empty the tank and refill it, or a driver whose tires are half worn wouldn’t replace the them.” said Lord. “It is the same idea with prematurely changing oil that still has life.”

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...cle_043007.jsp
Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1badBlueberrySC
With break in oil you should change it at 1000 miles... they don't put the synthetic in for break in... they use a standard oil to set the seals!

Change it... reset it and then do your normal 3000 mile or whatever oil changes!
The SS super and turbocharged models are factory filled with Mobil 1.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:33 PM

Maybe they dont want you driving that car for 10 years!

Ever think its not in there best interest for you to break the engine in properly,Like the banks giving you investment advice and which account would be best for you ,I dont thik so.

I changed mine the first time at 1500miles and now every 3000 miles I dont trust anything electronic.
They all fail eventually and you never know when.

I use the formula 1 from canadian tire $19.00 for 4.4 liters its made by Esso same as Mobil 1 and meet all the specs listed for the corvette and Cobalt.

Here is the GM description on it. Honda has a similar system too. Since 2 companies have come up with a similar idea it makes me pretty confident that it works as described. If it didn't we would be hearing about huge numbers warranty claims and the costs would kill them down the road.

GM Oil Life System

GM’s Oil Life System informs the driver when an oil change is required based on driving conditions and not on a predetermined time or mileage basis, such as the three months or 3,000 miles recommended by many manufacturers in the past. GM’s Oil Life System monitors engine speed and temperature, and the computer continuously examines engine conditions to determine when it's time to change the motor oil. This system can double or even triple the time needed between oil changes, and if used properly, can help consumers save time and money connected with unnecessary oil changes.

“A driver whose fuel tank is still two thirds full wouldn’t empty the tank and refill it, or a driver whose tires are half worn wouldn’t replace the them.” said Lord. “It is the same idea with prematurely changing oil that still has life.”

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...cle_043007.jsp
I know theres guys on here that would if the gas went bad like oil,and they used the tires for racing,You cannot compare it that way.
That comparings apples and oranges.

Last edited by Coblasts; 01-11-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
Ever think its not in there best interest for you to break the engine in properly,Like the banks giving you investment advice and which account would be best for you ,I dont thik so.

I changed mine the first time at 1500miles and now every 3000 miles I dont trust anything electronic.
They all fail eventually and you never know when.

I use the formula 1 from canadian tire $19.00 for 4.4 liters its made by Esso same as Mobil 1 and meet all the specs listed for the corvette and Cobalt.
Pissed off customers wont go back and buy another car from the same company. I'd say its in their best interest to at least attempt to build a quality product. Or they could have saved millions in not designing an oil monitoring system. Either would be better than putting expensive stuff that doesn't work in a car.

Of course it can fail and you should still check your oil once in awhile. Its the same with tires. That doesn't mean there cant be a more efficient way since most people don't ever pop the hood and check the oil or get out a pressure gauge and check tire pressure themselves.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 PM

At least change the filter.
And do me a favor and cut it open and spread out the accordin material and take a good look at what it caught.
Maybe post a pic of the filter from the first oil changed opened up.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:38 PM

I do, but i change mine about 10%
Old 01-11-2009, 08:41 PM

You will never know the problems you are having 5 years from now were from improper break in.

Or that it was from changing the oil to soon.

This argument is a personal thing and cant be won by either side,you do what you think is best and we will never know whose is better.Metered or 3000 miles.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 PM

25-35%
or
6000km
or
3700miles
Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 PM

You will never know the problems you are having 5 years from now were from improper break in.

Or that it was from changing the oil to soon.

This argument is a personal thing and cant be won by either side,you do what you think is best and we will never know whose is better.Metered or 3000 miles.
no the problems he will have 5 years from now is because its a chevy
Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 PM

I am at like 5400 km after a month and a week and my oil gauge is at 68%. My old Si had the same system and I listened to it, as thats why they installed it in the car so I will do the same. If your still changing the oil at 5000 km, imo, you shouldn't have bought a Cobalt as you have deep pockets!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by cereal83
I am at like 5400 km after a month and a week and my oil gauge is at 68%. My old Si had the same system and I listened to it, as thats why they installed it in the car so I will do the same. If your still changing the oil at 5000 km, imo, you shouldn't have bought a Cobalt as you have deep pockets!
Whats it cost you to change the oil?
Like I said I buy the Formula 1 synthetic oil at crap tire on sale for $19.00 half price and I change it myself.

Gets me under the car a few times a year and I can then check everything else out while still under warranty.
I think everyone should do the same.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 PM

i just stick to old school and go with every 2-3k miles(btw oil is free for me)
Old 01-11-2009, 09:52 PM

Whats it cost you to change the oil?
Like I said I buy the Formula 1 synthetic oil at crap tire on sale for $19.00 half price and I change it myself.

Gets me under the car a few times a year and I can then check everything else out while still under warranty.
I think everyone should do the same.
Costs me $70 if I go to a dealer or $55 plus oil filter if I do it myself. $19 oil is garbage and I would never put it in my car.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 AM

I still can't believe people don't trust the oil life system
if you drive your car hard, change it more often
the factory breaks in all the motors, so I wouldn't worry about changing it now
Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 AM

OK....so now my question is....Did I buy the right oil at Wal*Mart? I saw the 5 quart Mobil1 10w30, Mobil1 15w50, Mobil1 0w20, the The Mobil Clean 5000 mile 5w30. The others were $26 for the 5 quart and the weight the oil cap says (5w30) was $11 for a 5 quart jug. The only problem is it didnt say Mobil 1. Just mobil. Is this the right stuff?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by davidcroft
OK....so now my question is....Did I buy the right oil at Wal*Mart? I saw the 5 quart Mobil1 10w30, Mobil1 15w50, Mobil1 0w20, the The Mobil Clean 5000 mile 5w30. The others were $26 for the 5 quart and the weight the oil cap says (5w30) was $11 for a 5 quart jug. The only problem is it didnt say Mobil 1. Just mobil. Is this the right stuff?
No, that's not synthetic. Just regular oil. Don't put that in your car...
Old 01-13-2009, 09:57 AM

I thought it wasn't synthetic ....I just had to double check. I am exchanging it today. Also does anybody know what oil filter we take? The one I bought looks really weird, but it said it was the same filter for all cobalts and the 2.0 HHR turbo. Sorry for being such a newb its just I have owned Fords for the last 7 years, and these cars are throwing me for a loop.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 AM

I bought my 06 SC 3 1/2 months ago certified used. They did change the oil and the sticker was for 3k miles later. In the amount of time I've owned it, already changed the oil. Most cases, I change my oil based on months not the mileage, nor oil life monitor. If it's been 3 months (or approaching 3 months) I'll change it regardless.

Just would rather be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Oil Life monitoring system question