Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

ok two problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok two problem need help

ok my frist problem is that my car cool'ln temp is no long showing up on read out. and now my secound problem is my ac is not getting cold any more.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could check the connector on the engine coolant sensor or disconnect the battery for a bit to try and reset it and see if it starts working again .
With the sensor not working the car will run in closed loop and both your fans will run on high I think.

The ac not getting cold can be from a few things
1,low freon due to a hole in the condenser from a rock ,It is the thin rad in front of the main rad.(check the condensor for a good ding with what looks like a oil spot init)
2,compressor not cycling on(can you hear the clutch clicking on and off)
3,rad fans not coming on automatically when air con is turned on(usually the vent air cools while driving and when you stop it warms up.)
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 PM

Quite right on the engine temp sensor, it is either disconnected or failed. With no engine temp information available the pcm will operate in a "worst case" mode and assume the engine is too hot, and will run the fans on high all the time.

This is likely why your ac has quit as well. The compressor puts a load on the engine, this load generates more heat form the engine. If the pcm is assuming worst case it will try to limit heat production and disable the ac.

If the battery disconnect does not fix it, check the connection at the sensor, it may be loose / dirty or the wires may be damaged. The sensor itself may have failed.

Get the temp sensor working again and your ac should come back to life
Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year cobalt do you have?

#09-01-39-006: EI09116 - Insufficient A/C Cooling, A/C Compressor Noise, Refrigerant and/or Oil Leakage at A/C Compressor (Engineering Information) - (May 13, 2009)

Subject: EI09116 -- Insufficient A/C Cooling, A/C Compressor Noise, Refrigerant and/or Oil Leakage at A/C Compressor (Engineering Information)

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR

2008-2009 Pontiac G5, Solstice

2008-2009 Saturn SKY

Attention: Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GMVIS, disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in published service information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL -- refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053B for more details on the use of Engineering Information bulletins.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Important: If the customer did not bring the vehicle in for this issue, DO NOT proceed with this bulletin. ONLY CONTACT THE ENGINEER IF THE DIAGNOSIS LEADS TO AN A/C REPAIR.

Some customers may comment that the vehicle's A/C system is not cooling or is not cold enough. Also, the customer may comment that the compressor is noisy when the A/C is turned on or engaged.

Instructions
Important: DO NOT replace the AC compressor.

GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause for numerous "No Trouble Found" compressor returns due to insufficient cooling or noise complaints from the customer. Engineering has a need to gather information on vehicles, PRIOR to repair, that may exhibit cooling or noise concerns. Document the following information on the repair order:
Old 06-20-2009, 03:19 PM

i have the same problem. my coolant temp used to go out every now and then and it would throw a CEL. the CEL is gone for now but my A/C doesnt work