Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

overheating and Fix.. GM is wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, if changing the thermostat makes it run cooler, I would not see a scenario where the old thermostat could be said to be working normally. I don't think it's the temperature that was ever an issue, it was the "range" of temperature. Since the temperature was going higher than it even had for him and it took forever to cool down, then the thermostat was most likely stuck. When he got the new one, the temp behaved normally again. So didn't mean to argue, but I don't see how, reading the entire first post, anybody could think there was no problem to begin with.

I've had my lower crank seal replaced under warranty, so yeah - temp ranging can cause alot of problems in this car.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thought
Yeah, if changing the thermostat makes it run cooler, I would not see a scenario where the old thermostat could be said to be working normally. I don't think it's the temperature that was ever an issue, it was the "range" of temperature. Since the temperature was going higher than it even had for him and it took forever to cool down, then the thermostat was most likely stuck. When he got the new one, the temp behaved normally again. So didn't mean to argue, but I don't see how, reading the entire first post, anybody could think there was no problem to begin with.
I've had my lower crank seal replaced under warranty, so yeah - temp ranging can cause alot of problems in this car.
well i speak for myself when i say that i thought different because there are too many variables that weren't accounted for in the first post.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Yes they run hot thats true but his picked up temps over last year so that threw up a red flag for him. Then he changed it out and noticed a drop in temps back to last years normal range. That tells me that he did indeed have a problem.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Banned

i understand that. but what i'm saying is that you can't compare the conditions of both, because we dont' know. what was the external temp? how hard was he running? how long was he in traffic? then we would need the same things from after the thermostat was on.

if you're going by basic knowledge, yes that makes sense. was overheating, now it's not. but when you really get into it, that's not enough info to really make a sound judgement.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:09 PM

my car never gets over 215 and I live in florida....
Old 06-14-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by fivepointohman
Yes I will do some How to Pics for this. Its extremely easy! And yes GM told me they want to see the thermostat that I took out, and I will be sure to tell them what F-in Idiot they are. $20 bucks for a Thermostat Vs. $2000 for a valve job and head work after it blows up. Hmm whats better for them? Idiots!
I know EXACTLY what you're saying man. My car is in the shop right now. I took it to 2 different dealerships telling them that the car had a bad tick until it warms up (bad enough to hear it in the car). Both of the dealers told me it was normal and I just said screw it and continued to drive it normally knowing it would break (I wasn't going to pay for the parts and fix it myself because it would have been too pricey when they could fix it for free).

Needless to say I was driving down the highway the other day and a valve let go and dropped into the cylinder and to make a long story short it caused quite a bit of damage and now they have to replace a piston and the whole cylinder head instead of simply verifying that the follower was okay and that the spring was in good shape.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by zsk8er16
so is it nothing to worry about?

i also took my car in for this and they said it was normal

As long as your car dont go over 235-240 thats way to hot shut it off then there is something wrong in stand still traffic you should be not more higher then 232 give or take cause the thermostate comes on at 230
Old 06-14-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i understand that. but what i'm saying is that you can't compare the conditions of both, because we dont' know. what was the external temp? how hard was he running? how long was he in traffic? then we would need the same things from after the thermostat was on.

if you're going by basic knowledge, yes that makes sense. was overheating, now it's not. but when you really get into it, that's not enough info to really make a sound judgement.
that's true, but i got the impression from your earlier posts that you were sure there was no problem at all. using the logic quoted above, you wouldn't raelly be able to say either way then....
however, in his post he did mention a big difference between before and after during the same highway driving conditions. anyway, just still scratchin my head about some of these posts lol, no worries
Old 06-14-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
You should take the old thermostat down to the GM and throw it at the tech that said it was normal.... when he asks why you threw it, tell him it's normal to throw things at stupid people...
lmao! see now that made me crack up haha maybe some rep is needed hehe
Old 06-14-2007, 06:44 PM

Wooo... thanks for the reps guys.... I wasn't really trying to be funny, it's just been a goofy day at work...

Anyways, I just have a real problem with 'trained professionals' not picking up on something so simple...
Old 06-14-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
Wooo... thanks for the reps guys.... I wasn't really trying to be funny, it's just been a goofy day at work...

Anyways, I just have a real problem with 'trained professionals' not picking up on something so simple...
It's highly annoying. I'm not so sure that they don't just test drive the car until it reaches operating temp., take it back hook it up to a scanner, don't find any codes and then sign off on it.

I do think the techs have the ability to fix/diagnose cars. But, IMO they half ass warranty work/concerns because they figure it will come back with a better job when it breaks and it won't really affect the customers pocket book.

I work at Mercedes and we cannot do this. Mercedes customers are highly meticulous and you usually have to provide proof of what you tested and why there isn't a problem in existence. Also, if the customers aren't happy they DO have the money and time to hire a lawyer and get everything fixed up, so it's not worth it to say, "Cannot verify customer concern" everytime a car comes in.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Thats ******* great! LMAO!! Sounds like advice I'd give! +rep added!
x1000
Old 06-14-2007, 11:08 PM

In the original post I saw that you were worried about the temp. changes affecting the aluminum head. I wouldn't be worried about changing from 230-190 AT ALL. One of the endurance tests GM runs on the ecotec, is they run it up to peak hp rpm at WOT, and cycle through -40 degrees water then switch rapidly to 240 degree water, and keep doing this for a while, all while the motor is screaming. If it can take -40 to 240 back to -40, I think it can take 230-190 just fine
Old 06-14-2007, 11:09 PM

blame your dealership, not GM
Old 06-14-2007, 11:20 PM

Yea that is totally normal for an Lsj in traffic or just sitting in a parking lott. Go to someone with Hp Tuners and you can change all that. Mine did that all the time until I had it tuned now it won't go past 190F even if its 90 degrees out in traffic.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by eastcoastz
Yea that is totally normal for an Lsj in traffic or just sitting in a parking lott. Go to someone with Hp Tuners and you can change all that. Mine did that all the time until I had it tuned now it won't go past 190F even if its 90 degrees out in traffic.
Yeah, they adjusted your fans using HP Tuners. This is a good solution.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:57 AM

Buy a Heat Exchanger, and get her tuned..My fan kicks on at about 207 now, and with the HE, she hardly ever gets that high unless it's crazy hot out and I'm stuck in wack ass traffic.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:11 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
i live in florida and have stage 2. cruising mine stays at a steady 181F. in jacksonville traffic in 90 degree weather i haven't seen anything over 203... sounds like a lot of variation car to car
Old 06-15-2007, 09:06 AM

Updates..... Well I left work yesterday, 86 degree out, stayed around 190-196 range. Drove about 74 miles yesterday running around town. Its alot better needless to say now.

I went to the dealer with my old thermostate and showed them exactly what I was talking about and the old thermostate where it had the wear and bind marks. They were struck stupid, didnt even comment on my repair, offered me a free inspection, and rembersed me for my parts cost. ( $30 including dexcool ) .. So i was happy, still pisses me off that I had it in there before and they wouldn't find or fix the issue. I agree with the post of cause it warranty work, they half ass the job. Unless its something huge that is noticable they wont even look at it unless its coding.

Now I have a new Question.. People are talking about tuning there cars, You guys are talking about reprograming the ECM right? I would love to set the fans to come on way earlier than 230.

I'll post some pictures today hopefully of where the thermostate is on this car.

Also the post about every car varies on how they run etc.. YES, this is so true cause i personally know of 3 people that I have driven there cobalts and they all run at different temps, and have different characteristic on how they drive.

So I guess I dont blame GM, I blame the dealership in there not so open minded attemps to fix a persons vehicle, but this is life I guess.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

I really don't see why there is any debate , he had the car in the heat last year and it ran alot cooler . Now this year it's getting 20-30 degree's hotter so he replaced the thermostat. Now it's back to the temps it ran at last year . What am i missing? Why are people saying it's normal , nothing was needed . Really ,why the debate? The results speak for themself's
Old 06-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
In the original post I saw that you were worried about the temp. changes affecting the aluminum head. I wouldn't be worried about changing from 230-190 AT ALL. One of the endurance tests GM runs on the ecotec, is they run it up to peak hp rpm at WOT, and cycle through -40 degrees water then switch rapidly to 240 degree water, and keep doing this for a while, all while the motor is screaming. If it can take -40 to 240 back to -40, I think it can take 230-190 just fine
Eh, it never hurts to run the car a little cooler.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:01 PM

Yea I hear ya. Its all good. Seems to be running well today too...