Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean -PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a cone air filter on my SS 2.0l and now I'm getting this code the same day. Then the light went out for a week and today on the way to work it came back on. Why would a cone filter do this? Or is it a different problem? Should I put the original filter back in when I take it to the dealer for warranty works? Thanks

Old 07-28-2005, 07:44 AM

What type of cone filter? Is it a kit from somewhere? Or something you made yourself?

That code in simple terms means that the computer detected that there was more oxygen, and attempted to add more fuel to compensate, but it has added as much as it can, and it still sees that there's more air than fuel, so it set the code.

It's not likely that you're actually getting that much more air because of a filter. It's more likely that either (a) something in the filter setup has 'fooled' the computer into thinking there is (usually something to do with how the air flows over the MAF sensor, which is why I asked what your setup was), or (b) you have a vacuum leak somewhere that's letting a bit of unmetered air in and causing the lean condition. That would probably be the first thing I'd check - listen for hissing/air leaks, check all your seals, make sure everything's tight.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:04 AM

I just put a Ractive cone air filter in place of the stock filter. Never touched anything else. The cars only got 1200 MIles on it right now.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by BluebaltSS
I just put a Ractive cone air filter in place of the stock filter. Never touched anything else. The cars only got 1200 MIles on it right now.
Then I bet it's a vac leak somewhere from where you took it apart to put the new filter in. Just go over everything - take it apart and put it all back together very carefully, make sure everything's sealed up well. It's possible during the process you bumped the plastic intake plumbing up by the throttle body too, so I'd check all the way up there. Just make sure she's all tightened up.

Oh and remember to either pull the battery or have someone clear the code when your finished. Once the ECM is reset, it takes a fair bit of driving for that code to pop back, so drive it for a couple days and see where you stand.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:11 AM

I had the same problem (code) with mine...The dealer thought it was the K&N (E-1009) but I said there is no way a filter will do that. The code came on once before I had the K&N and after 2-3weeks it came on with the K&N. The other guy on this board said it being either a vacuum leak or a MAF problem. Your getting unmetered air into the system...Colin
Old 07-28-2005, 09:34 AM

So if i have no vacuum leaks then what do I have to do?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:35 AM

could be oil from the filter on the MAF causing it to see less air than it's getting. did you just put a new filter in the stock airbox, or have you changed the tubing?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:39 AM

I didn't change the tube, all I did was take out the stock one. Then I put the cone filter on where the stock one sealed up at the top and drilled a hole so I could clamp it. The hole I drilled isn't a problem either if you're wondering.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put a cone air filter on my SS 2.0l and now I'm getting this code the same day. Then the light went out for a week and today on the way to work it came back on. Why would a cone filter do this? Or is it a different problem? Should I put the original filter back in when I take it to the dealer for warranty works? Thanks

It's more than likely set because now your engine is running lean because it's getting more air than it is used to. The pcm keeps an average of the fuel usage and if it suddenly gets outside than range then it can trip that code. I think you can reset that average but I am not sure how without the right GM scan tool.

Thats just a short blurb from the manual. I am not a mechanic or anything, so I could be wrong
Old 07-28-2005, 11:56 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zinner
It's more than likely set because now your engine is running lean because it's getting more air than it is used to. The pcm keeps an average of the fuel usage and if it suddenly gets outside than range then it can trip that code. I think you can reset that average but I am not sure how without .

Thats just a short blurb from the manual. I am not a mechanic or anything, so I could be wrong
Disconnect the Negative Batter Cable from the battery and reconnect it within 5 to 10 minutes elapsed time, as it should reset the ECU, to relearn the modification you added to your vehicle. This is usually normal for a Code to set and get a SES light to come on.

FWIW, Always disconnect the Negative Battery Cable from the battery, when attempting to change, or convert the present Air Intake System or making any changes under the hood to the electrical system etc. Hope this helps, as the ECU is confused, without performing this simple procedure.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:10 PM

also good to depress the brake so as to drain the system of any electrical charge. something i've always done.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 PM

I just jumped in the car to go for a drive and now the light is out. We checked the codes again with the code reader and it is still there but no light. Should I worry about it? Or should I unhook the battery like said above?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:18 PM

Yah i had that problem about 2 or 3 weeks ago....i have a K&N filter....the guy from the dealership then just overrided the problem and now the light isnt on anymore
Old 07-28-2005, 02:04 PM

How did the dealership over-ride the problem? Did they disconnect the battery for 5-10 mins? Please let us know...

PS- Thanx for all the help you guys. It is very appreciated....Colin
Old 07-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Moderator Alumni

You can reset the long term fuel trim levels with the GM scan tools...
Old 07-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Banned

same thing i had wrong, i had a k&n filter, and i took it off and put the stock back on and they said it was a bad 02 sensor.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:55 PM

So can I take it back to the dealer with the cone filter or should I put the stock one in it to take it back?
Old 07-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Moderator Alumni

They light only comes on if the condition is noted twice within a certain time period.

I would clear the code and see if it comes back...
Old 07-28-2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
You can reset the long term fuel trim levels with the GM scan tools...
BINGO!

We had a similar problem, make sure to remove the neg cable, so the pcm can learn fresh, the trims are all over on this car so if the base map is not reset then the map that is in real time is trying to adjust it down or up and it is seeing it is out of the norm, once we did the full reset and some datalogging the trims were still all over but the code has not come back...

\these pcm's in the SS are a lot more touchy than the other pcm's and they seem to be little busy bodies trying to adapt everything...
Old 07-28-2005, 05:04 PM

CHECK FOR VAC LEAKS!!!! The ECM does not set that code because it's getting "more air than it used to". It set that code because it's getting more air than it practically should be able to. There's a big difference. If you just unplug the battery, this will go away for a day or two, then come right back. If you pegged the fuel trims once, and you don't correct the condition, you will just peg them again. The computer is not "confused", in fact it knows EXACTLY what's normal, and it's setting the code because it's not seeing what it should. You need to correct the source of the problem.

There's no great mystery here. I think most ppl don't really understand how the ECM works.... there's nothing abnormal. It's not confused, it's not upset because it's used to seeing one filter and now there's another, and it doesnt just need to be reset. It's telling you that there's a problem you need to fix. That;s what it's designed to do. Find the abnormality (vac leak is more than probable, given that you had your intake plumbing apart), correct it, pull battery to clear the code, and you're done.

BluebaltSS, you said you drilled a hole somewhere? Where? Not in the intake tube anywhere downstream of the MAF, I hope? Because if you did, that's your vac leak right there.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:24 PM

The hole I drilled is not anywhere that affects the vacuum. I cant explain where it is exactly. It's right in the side of the airbox, so I could tighten the clamp. The only air that gets into the engine is through the filter. I checked the vacuum line on the intake plumbing, there is only one. It is still hooked up and not leaking.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM

I also forgot to mention, when the car is at idle and if I punch the gas it hesitates for a sec because it revs up. Sometimes the revs go up, then come down, then back up a bit and then back to idle. It's done this eversince I bought the car last week. But the light never came on untill 30 minutes after I put the cone filter in the stock air box.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:43 PM

The hole I drilled is not anywhere that affects the vacuum. I cant explain where it is exactly. It's right in the side of the airbox, so I could tighten the clamp. The only air that gets into the engine is through the filter. I checked the vacuum line on the intake plumbing, there is only one. It is still hooked up and not leaking.
Try the soapy water deal. Spray soapy water solution around the seals in the intake plumbing and look for bubbles. If you have a vac leak, it's definitely a very tiny one. Only a tiny vac leak would set this code. A large vac leak (like a hose unplugged) would fail a rationality diagnostic and set a differnet code, not peg a fuel trim like this.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:46 PM

I also forgot to mention, when the car is at idle and if I punch the gas it hesitates for a sec because it revs up. Sometimes the revs go up, then come down, then back up a bit and then back to idle. It's done this eversince I bought the car last week. But the light never came on untill 30 minutes after I put the cone filter in the stock air box.
This doesn't sound like totally abnormal behavior. It should take just a split second to rev up if you step on the gas - this is just the throttle calibration. It's designed to open the blade a bit slower to do away with the sudden influx of air, and then you don't need things like tip-in spark retard and crap like that any more.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:51 PM

Holy hell if you're having this many problems with your fuel running lean from a cone I'd hate to see what would happen to us considering the bolt-on S/C for the 2.2L. Between switching to high-octane and the blower it's prolly gonna have a fit and just refuse to turn on .

What people are saying is right, resetting the system either via the battery disconnect or the dealer overriding the code should fix it, but this won't guarantee that it won't come back again if you take the second route. I think you really need to reset the system if checking for vaccuum leaks proves a non-issue. I think your dealer could also do a much better job of this for you if you were to take it in. I'm not sure that they'll service it though because you changed the filter but it's worth a shot.

Permafried-

Quick Reply: P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean -PCM