Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

paint chipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint chipping

What the hell... I've had my baby for about a month now and there are shitloads of chips on my car.. I've heard of late model GMs having problems but this is really over the top.. at least 3 sizeable scratches on my hood.. My dealership is being a bunch of hardasses.. I've got a very heavy break pedal and I called them about it.. The girl on the other end was like this is a wear and tear item.. Funny because I remember reading in the promotional material, and I quote, "the ENTIRE" car is covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles.. Gotta love it..

I don't know if I should go to them and tell them to paint my car or I'll work on starting a class action suit (which will probably lead to laughter on their end) or not even bother.. Any of you have any luck with new paint for no cost?

Any people in the NJ and surrounding looking to meet up/cruise shout me out.

PJ
Old 06-23-2006, 11:58 PM

the whole warrenty is all bullshit. everything is limited warrenty and wen my clutch went out on me after one week of havin the car, the dealer didnt want to cover it and its been at the dealer now for 3 weeks and i still dont have it back. but anyway, they should deff cover the paint but make sure they repaint the whole car bc if not, ur gonna have one colorful car.

whatever you do, dont let ur dealer or GM tell u its ur fault bc its not this has happened before w/ GM cars. one year GM made a deal w/ a primer company where all they had to do was spray the primer on the car, they didnt have to wait for it to dry, then they just paint right over the wet primer....well, to make a long story short, every piece of paint chipped right of the car and GM was forced to 'repaint' the whole car....im not sayin this is wats goin on w/ ur car. but whatever u do, dont let them convince you its ur fault in anyway...
if worst comes to worst, call the Attorney General's office and file a complaint.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:35 PM

Hey man whut's up? We live in Old Bridge off Rt 9. We have a 2006 Cobalt SS and i've noticed about half a dozen chips in our hood already. Have had the car since February and the little lady does alot of Turnpike/Parkway/Rt80 driving and I just assumed they were a result of all of her traveling on those roads. Thinking about the 3M paint protector for the hood and bumper but for now I just used the GM touch up paint with a REAL steady hand! a real PITA.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:27 AM

My 2005 has chips ranging from pinhead size to about 3/32 " all over the hood. I've had probably 20 cars in my lifetime, none of them ever did this.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:43 AM

No company will cover paint chips.
Because paint chips are a road hazard.
They mostly come from following too close.
And if you dont want chips in your paint dont drive your car
Old 09-17-2006, 11:16 AM

Don't follow people so close, especially trucks. My wife had about 10 chips on her hood after 2 months, now that she has followed people further back (because of me bitching her out and giving her driving lessons lol) she has got 1 or 2 in the last 7 months.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:38 AM

I'm a firm believer in leaving the appropriate interval between me and the car ahead, so much so that I'm constantly being passed. The comment about not driving the car was very helpful, Thankyou! I think the paint on job this tin can is crap.