Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Porcelain piece broke off a spark plug and fell in the cylinder; LNF running weird

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porcelain piece broke off a spark plug and fell in the cylinder; LNF running weird

I made a thread about the issue here yesterday, but I wanted to put this one here so even non-LNF owners can chime in.

Here's the situation:

- Changed spark plugs yesterday
- Cylinder 1 plug was cracked; didn't notice until a bit later
- Broken porcelain piece fell in cylinder 1
- Put the new plugs in
- Stupidly started the car
- Hard start, bogging down, CEL flashing
- Connected OBDII; codes = P0300, 301, 302, 303
- In other words, random misfires in cylinders 1-3
- Then stupidly decided to remove spark plug from cylinder 1 and start car in hopes of porcelain piece flying out
- Car sounded horrible; panicked and turned it off

Today:
- Tried removing the head to inspect cylinder heads, valves, whatever else for any damage
- Went to the bank for a potential loan because I can't go too long without a daily driver
- No luck getting a loan (get paid mostly under-the-table, so no proof of income = no loan)
- Went to work; at work now; created this thread

Plans for tomorrow:
- Reconnect everything I removed (intake, charge pipe, put bolts back on head)
- Swap out cylinders 1-3 spark plugs with old ones
- Change oil to inspect for any metal flakes
- See how car runs
- If nothing changes, panic and declare all hope lost

Anyone have any tips? How to take off the cylinder head? I tried screw drivers, but it didn't budge. Lack a pry bar, but I can maybe buy one... I don't know.
Contemplating towing it to a mechanic, but I don't have funds for an expensive repair.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:12 PM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Taking the head off is a bit more than a couple screws, your going to have to release the tension on the timing chain and remove the timing chain cover, timing chain, exhaust manifold....pretty much whatever is connected to the head. Then you'll have to remove the head bolts which are torque to yield(when you torque them down they stretch) and these will have to be replaced unless you swap to the arp head studs. Drain the oil and coolant as well.

Judging by how your car got to it's current state...I'm not sure if you should be pulling the head on it, least get someone who is familiar with mechanical things to help you. Plus the head is heavy as ****.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Yeah I would try and get help from someone mechanically inclined or take it to a mechanic, head Is pretty heavy
Old 09-05-2015, 11:17 PM

Facebook Cobalt page failed me again. They insisted it's just removing everything that's in the way (charge pipe, wires, etc) and unscrewing the bolts around it, then prying it upwards.

I'm in over my head. I don't even know if this car is worth repairing. I love(d) it and had plans to keep it forever, but I need something reliable to get me through the next 3-5 years of my life as I attend college to (hopefully) get into a nursing program.

Can't do it with this LNF. Issues galore.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:21 PM

Lnf is actually pretty god damn reliable, you just need to research more and take your time while working on your car. Take it from someone who knows, rushing the job always ***** it up. Can't blame the car when there was an operator error...
Old 09-05-2015, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah man it sucks giving you bad news, but best way for you to do it without removing is getting the camera(forgot the name lol) to see the internals. And for sure change the oil see if you find any pieces when you drain it
Old 09-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Haven07
Lnf is actually pretty god damn reliable, you just need to research more and take your time while working on your car. Take it from someone who knows, rushing the job always ***** it up. Can't blame the car when there was an operator error...
The cobalt in general is damn reliable been driving one for 6yrs plus, had to redo the valves on my other balt but it was my fault for lack of maintenance knowledge. Other than oil change lol.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:41 PM

I'm sure the LNF is reliable in general, but mine has been an issue for a while. I don't blame the car. I'm aware it's on the previous owner and myself.
I just meant I want a cheap, reliable, easy car. I love the performance and drive-ability of the LNF, but at this point, I'd be good with just a cheap Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, non-performance Chevy, whatever.

I'll update this thread tomorrow morning with info on what's up with the LNF. Oil change and replacing new plugs with recently removed plugs; hopefully it fixes the issue, but if not, Idk.
Maybe I'll also see if the coil packs need to be replaced (again).
Old 09-05-2015, 11:43 PM

Are you even troubleshooting or just throwing money at the car and hope something fixes it?
The following users liked this post:
Snail_SS (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Work on your car and change your schedule to take a public bus while you work on your car if you want to keep the LNF. That's all I can suggest. Its not impossible to get around town without a car. It'll just make you appreciate your car more and take your time with fixing it rather the panicking and rushing through it.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

What haven said it really important you have to diagnose before throwing parts into any car
Old 09-05-2015, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by no_ss
Work on your car and change your schedule to take a public bus while you work on your car if you want to keep the LNF. That's all I can suggest. Its not impossible to get around town without a car. It'll just make you appreciate your car more and take your time with fixing it rather the panicking and rushing through it.
No can do. If you're interested, I can go into minute detail why this is impossible for me.
I'll just put it like this: that's impossible for a dude working 60+ hrs/week, attending college part-time and trying to dedicate as much free time to his daughter & wife as possible.
Waiting hours for a bus, then hours for bus to take me where I need to be, then being late for everything and getting fired... Yeah... No.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
What haven said it really important you have to diagnose before throwing parts into any car
What do you suggest?
How can I diagnose this? I don't have too much money to spare anymore to have a mechanic look at it.
Especially after replacing the catalytic converter and wastegate solenoid last month. I'm digging too deep into my limited savings.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

It's hard to give you a diagnosis without looking at a car. But I would start with what everyone has told you and I have chimed in
Old 09-06-2015, 12:09 AM

I'm not asking you to diagnose it. I'm asking how I can diagnose it without blowing more money at a mechanic's.
It's fine. I don't expect any answers right now. I'm aware I'm fucked.
Anyway, if replacing spark plugs tomorrow won't help, I'll just admit defeat and mope.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Well yeah try placing the old plugs back it is weird that your getting misfires on the other two cylinders. Change the coils to the one that isn't misfiring and see if it moves and you can get a better idea if something is right. Oil change should help you see if you get any pieces of porcelain or metal shavings. Even try doing a compression test
Old 09-06-2015, 12:59 AM

Really we need to know what all lead up to this. Did you replace the spark plugs just as a tune up or where you having the miss fires before? Did you inspect the old spark plugs for any signs of fouling? Any compression test or leak down test performed? Verified that all injectors operating properly? Is the car tuned? Check for boost leaks or vacuum leaks?

For some reason I get the feeling that you went from step one to the engine is fucked... Sometimes you gotta take a deep breath and work on things one step at a time. Basic troubleshooting isn't hard just takes patience, some learning/knowledge, and a couple of diagnostic tools everyone should have at their house like a compression tester and a borescope
Old 09-06-2015, 02:13 AM

Car seemed to misfire when hitting WOT.
Decided to replace spark plugs, as was suggested to me on this site.
While changing spark plugs, noticed one was cracked. 100% confident that the broken piece fell in the cylinder.
Started car after replacing all the plugs; it had issues. Idling rough, bogging down, engine vibrating like it's ready for death.
Old spark plugs still look(ed) good.
Compression test and boost leak not performed.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 840 Likes on 737 Posts
Have you taken the new spark plugs back out to see if the electrode of the spark plug in that cylinder is all messed up?
Old 09-06-2015, 01:12 PM

Took out new plugs; installed old ones back in.
Changed oil.
Started the car up. It sounded fine! I was so excited. I let it sit for another minute to listen for any strange noises, but nothing seemed weird.
No CEL.
Got in, revved a bit, no problems.
Drove off, thinking I'd just go around the block.
Car began bogging down a bit, CEL flashing, and then the car completely died.
Completely dead. I was in the middle of an intersection in my neighborhood.
Thankfully no traffic. Tried starting the car up, it wouldn't. Put my head down, thinking I'm fucked.
Again, tried starting the car. It started up, but just barely chugging along.
Made a U-turn and drove it back into my garage.

Called a mechanic shop from a town I lived in a couple years ago. Told someone there the issue. He said his main mechanic won't be back until Tuesday, so he'd have to wait and see until then.
I'm contemplating having it towed there, but AAA, which I just bought last night, only covers 7 miles, and that shop is a good 20+ miles away.

I'm very depressed.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
I suggest never trying to work on your own car again.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by cluelessk
I suggest never trying to work on your own car again.
**** you.
One issue, which may have been preventable had I been more attentive, won't stop me.
I've done all kinds of things on my wife's Toyota Matrix, from oil changes to brakes & rotors to starter replacement, serpentine belt, spark plugs, etc, without any issue.
This is just a one-time mistake.
And for you to assume I shouldn't do ANY work on ANY car I ever own ever again, though I am new to the world of automotive maintenance, tells me you can suck a dick and choke on it.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why you're starting and running the car when you're "100% certain" a piece of spark plug ceramic feel into the cylinder and you haven't scoped it yet.

Your problems sound worse than just fod in the combustion chamber but glass is harder than metal and will scratch the crap out of your cylinder wall and piston and head. Also could've lodged somewhere and be giving you more grief.

See what the latest codes say also.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

You need to try and find where that piece of spark plug is at. This is just a freak accident, it doesn't mean you shouldn't work on your own car.
The following users liked this post:
Getaway_Driver (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts

Im gonna tell you the same thing i said in your other thread. BUY A BORESCOPE. You need to find the piece of the spark plug that you lost. DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE AGAIN UNTIL YOU DO. You say it was a 1 time mistake but you keep starting it when you're sure the plug piece is in there. Buy a borescope, inspect cylinder #1, and try to find a way to get the piece out, if its still in there.

Quick Reply: Porcelain piece broke off a spark plug and fell in the cylinder; LNF running weird