Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Possible brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible brake issue

I've been having problems for the last 3 - 4 weeks or so, with I'm assuming is my brakes. I have 17,000ish KM on the car and the front rotors have been machined 3 times.

I will RANDOMLY get a rotational grinding noise when braking, as if my rotors are warped, and it just keeps getting louder and louder, then it will randomly go away.... and occasionally when I slow down for a corner it will continue to make the noise turning right through the corner with no brakes applied.

I've had the car to the dealer a few times, but they can never re-create the noise, I understand that though, because I can drive for 3 days WITH OUT a noise, then it will happen for 20 min, then vanish, the reappear for 2 days straight. Every time I take the car in, they inspect the rotors and brakes and they claim everything is fine. I've had good experiences with this dealer and service adviser before, so I'm inclined to believe him.

He told me, that the rotors are under warranty for 60,000 km and my brake pads for 36,000 km, and they just are not worn down/ bad enough to warrant replacing right now.

Has anybody had a problem similar to this, or have any ideas?

EDIT After 3 or 4 visits, they finally figured out the problem... it was my rear rotors... for some reason, every time they checked over the car, the tech only looked at the front (thats were I thought the noise was coming from)... so anyway, he checked the back.. and I guess they were in such rough shape, the brake pad was "jumping" as I applied the brakes, causing the noise and causing the calipers to rebound off the rotor slowly.. anyway.. they machined the rear rotors.. problem fixed for now.

So far, my front rotors have been machined three times, and my rear were machined twice.. I was planning on getting a set of the GMPP rotors, but my tech told said that when they get replaced under warranty, they will be replaced with the new "redesigned ones", they are supposed to be made from a different metal, zinc coated and with silver rotor paint over the usual rust zones.

G5Mike already has a set, and he seems to love them.

Last edited by EvlPeanut; 03-23-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:16 AM

where have you been, all of our rotors suck
Old 03-12-2007, 11:17 AM

I have the same problem with mine feels like its scraping metal its the rotors i just replaced the brake pads with ceramics and its still doin it.. our rotors are glazed or grooved.. get cross drilled and slotted
Old 03-12-2007, 11:23 AM

lol I know the rotors suck, and I plan getting some GMPP rotors of Crate Engine Depot in a month or so, but I want to know if anyone else has experienced a problem similar to mine to be sure if it is in fact the rotors.

The only thing that puts it in doubt is that occasionally the grinding noise persists as I turn right through a corner (with no brakes applied) just after slowing down, I just want to make sure it isn't anything more serious.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 AM

hey, our brakes are still ridiculous in performance. we stop quite quick if we need to.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Couple things that may seem random...

Check you lugnuts and make sure they're as tight as they should be, and have a tireshop (or dealer, if you prefer) check you wheels to make sure they're balanced and your alignment hasn't fallen out of specs. I highly doubt it's your brakes making this noise, but you never know.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Rotors New Pads, plain and simple.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltBurst
where have you been, all of our rotors suck

Mine don't..
Old 03-13-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have drum breaks in the rear ,could be a loose nut holding the drum on .
Jack the car up and check rear wheels for slop ,if sloppy readjust the tightness.
If that doesnt cure it possible bad rear wheel bearing,
Old 03-14-2007, 07:33 PM

Sometimes, brakes will "drag" after you have released the pedal because the calipers are slow to rebound and pull the pads from the rotors. This could be why after releasing the brakes there is still a noise. The calipers could need servicing, perhaps they're dirty. Also, if it's cold, everything is a little slower to react so that may cause it.

My car has similar mileage and I will notice this on occasion as well. It could also be from a bit of surface rust on the brakes. If you are soft on the brake pedal, it doesn't clear all of the surface rust from the rotors and this can cause a grinding noise. I notice right after my car is washed that there is a bit of surface rust on the brakes. A few hard stops can clear that up.

Just a couple of ideas for you to consider.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
If you have drum breaks in the rear ,could be a loose nut holding the drum on .
Jack the car up and check rear wheels for slop ,if sloppy readjust the tightness.
If that doesnt cure it possible bad rear wheel bearing,
SS 2.4 has the same brakes as the SS/SC

Originally Posted by TJ_SS
Sometimes, brakes will "drag" after you have released the pedal because the calipers are slow to rebound and pull the pads from the rotors. This could be why after releasing the brakes there is still a noise. The calipers could need servicing, perhaps they're dirty. Also, if it's cold, everything is a little slower to react so that may cause it.

My car has similar mileage and I will notice this on occasion as well. It could also be from a bit of surface rust on the brakes. If you are soft on the brake pedal, it doesn't clear all of the surface rust from the rotors and this can cause a grinding noise. I notice right after my car is washed that there is a bit of surface rust on the brakes. A few hard stops can clear that up.

Just a couple of ideas for you to consider.
Thanks, going in thursday... again... hopefully they fix my problem.