Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Possibly IC Pump Going Out...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly IC Pump Going Out...?

During some minor tuning/moreso scanning yesterday is when we first noticed a problem...iat2s were fine during crusing and only rose like 10* during the first and only pull, great...but after this they never recovered...it was a hot day and in the late afternoon and my iat2s rose all the way to 207* and we took it very easy on the way back to my tuners apartment. by the time we got back they went down to mid 150s but thats still too high for just cruising, left there and by the time i was on the highway they had rose to 212* for several minutes...i randomly hit a huge bump in a construction zone and then they dropped to where they should be over the next few minutes...not sure if hitting that bumped jarred some **** or what and brought things back to normal, but closer to home they started rising again to about 180*...keep in mind after the first pull i mentioned i have not got on it at all, very easy driving.

After i got home and then left later and with some driving here and there since yesterday i noticed i can basically start my car up and drive anywhere at any time of day and iat2s are normal during cruising/easy driving like they should be for the heat during that time of day, but ive experimented some, if i even get on it at all, like as in a WOT pull from 3 grand to 4 grand in second, nothing strenuous as far as creating heat, and after this my iat2s will rise and never recover, i.e. tonight they were at 110*ish cruising home and after a quick experimental 3 grand to 4 grand pull they rose all the way to 180* over about 5 min and stayed there.

If my IC pump was going bad i would think iat2s would slowly rise from the start and never recover no matter what, but it only does it if i get on it even in the slightest bit as i said; if i just start up and cruise normally with no hard driving iat2s are fine.

Also, coolant temps in all of these situations were right where they normally are.

So what do you guys think? IC pump starting to go out? Anything else that would affect iat2s like this? Input/help please

Last edited by 06arrivalSC; 09-01-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure
Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 AM

Bump for answers
Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 AM

Your IC pump is on the way out. You can check by starting up the car and looking at the ic filler neck, if the coolant is flowing and jumping around, its working fine. You can also hear the buzzing of the ic pump underneath on the front part of the motor. Mine did the same thing, worked whenever it wanted. You can help it out a bit by hitting the top of the pump with a hammer.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by EatonTVS07
Your IC pump is on the way out. You can check by starting up the car and looking at the ic filler neck, if the coolant is flowing and jumping around, its working fine. You can also hear the buzzing of the ic pump underneath on the front part of the motor. Mine did the same thing, worked whenever it wanted. You can help it out a bit by hitting the top of the pump with a hammer.
Hitting it with a hammer was on my to do list in the next few days

It just seems odd how it only starts being a piece of **** when i get on it a little, but if i dont it seems to be fine...? lol ive checked the filler neck and there is no coolant ever visible in there, i have the dual pass so it seems like the coolant wouldnt directly flow throught the filler neck as there is another passage for it too with the extra nipple/coolant hose coming off the endplate and meeting at the t-fitting type thing and all that fun stuff, idk, maybe there is room to add a little more coolant too and then i could get a better idea

My tuner has the IC pump set to come on in the ACC key position and it sounds as if its on, but the fan is also on so im not sure if i would be able to hear it or not
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 AM

Im having the same problem, im pretty sure both of our pumps have craped out.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 AM

Same thing happened to me....took it off...unscrewed it and blew the crap out with an air compressor. Put it back together and everything has been fine. There is also a diy rebuild on this site somewhere.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Yea this is just ******* lovely
Im thinking about buying OTTPs Bosch replacement IC pump for like $115, not a bad price and just take care of it in an afternoon and not have to worry about it for a good while lol
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM

I think its still on back order so call them first to make sure.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 AM

i am having similar problems.
sub'd
Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 PM
BCM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine stops working every so often, just hit it with a hammer or something a few times and it starts working again.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by JERMzSS
I think its still on back order so call them first to make sure.
Yea i saw that the other day but it said it should be back up September 1st so ill see, its still doing the same ****, runs fine most of the time but i havnt gotten on it at all because i know if i do they will most likely rise and never recover

But i experienced it going out again today for a bit when i had a ******* moment

Big ass drink in the front right cupholder, i have the B&M shifter so anyone with this knows that you cant fit a drink in the front right spot and be in 5th gear at the same time...well, i forgot to put it in the back cupholder...so when i went to go in 5th gear...i went in 3rd lol first time doing this since my first week of driving when i was 16 lulz, anyways it went up to 4 grand for a second before i quickly clutched and went into 5th after saying FIST ****!
...and then iat2s started rising to 180ish and then randomly came back down as i got close to home

*Note: Dont flame me for the ricer moment, i really am a good driver 99% of the time... lol carelessness FTL
Old 09-03-2010, 12:39 AM

sounds like your iC pump for sure.

There is brushes inside that motor that wear down and make this metallic like dust inside the pump motor housing. Quite a bit of it will add up over time causing the pump to get stuck. Tapping it with a hammer or a large bump just loosens that dust and allows the motor to spin again.

Eatontvs07 nailed it. Check the filler neck. There is no CEL, your coolant temp will remain the same if the IC pump is or is not working. You could open it up blow out the dust and hope it works fine. but i dont like doing things twice and other components should be replaced in the motor... $100 for a new pump isn't bad
Old 09-03-2010, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by SSchargedSS
sounds like your iC pump for sure.

There is brushes inside that motor that wear down and make this metallic like dust inside the pump motor housing. Quite a bit of it will add up over time causing the pump to get stuck. Tapping it with a hammer or a large bump just loosens that dust and allows the motor to spin again.

Eatontvs07 nailed it. Check the filler neck. There is no CEL, your coolant temp will remain the same if the IC pump is or is not working. You could open it up blow out the dust and hope it works fine. but i dont like doing things twice and other components should be replaced in the motor... $100 for a new pump isn't bad

Yea i know that if the IC pump was out the coolant temps wont reflect that at all, and yes you said it perfectly, i dont want to **** with it and then only have to do it again or replace it so im just thinking about getting a new one and putting a new pump in when i get a h/e here soon.

And ive checked the filler neck, theres never been coolant visible in my filler neck from what i can remember, so possible that i can add some coolant to the system to check to see if the pump is working?

I mean the pump is working right when i first start up and drive but like i said, get on it at all and it seems to **** the bed...assuming its the pump of course, is there anything else that affect iat2s like this besides the IC pump shitting out?