Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Power Steering Wheel HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Wheel HELP

I got this 2007 Cobalt SS, bought it in the US to take it to Bolivia. I didn't know about this Recall for the power steering problem until it arrive here. So, here I am: forwarding emails to GM Chev and they keep on telling me to contact GM brazil..... I don't speak dam portuguese..I'm in Bolivia,we speak spanish. And besides brazilian version of cobalts' are differente from U.S. version. So, they might not even understand my problem. I'm asking if someone could help me by telling me what to fix, what to buy..where could I get it. I have some friends in the US that could help me buying some stuff if needed. But, please don't leave me alone.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 PM

how are you gonna be able to maintain the car there?specially routine stuff like oil changes and stuff
Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 PM

To be honest, its a pain looking everywhere to find some parts that fit my cobalt, because here in Bolivia we mostly got Toyota's and Nissan's...very few Ford and much less Chevrolet... However, for the oil..there are resellers of Castrol..not sure of Mobil 1..but I'm still looking. The oil filter is much more difficult to find..I'm trying to find help with some people in the US but I'm not having luck. My car is missing the repair of the power steering wheel, some oil filters, and other stuff that I can't find here..btw, someone interested on establishing some buisness with me...I'll be needing time to time more stuff..so, if someone wants I'll be happy to have someone that knows about cobalts ...
Old 09-03-2010, 12:46 AM

the recall is for the power steering motor. Its under the dash...a black cylinder shaped device connected with two bolts to the steering column. I would look to see if either you can get that part, or have it shipped to your dealer and have them install it. Its 2 bolts take about 15 minutes....good luck man.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 AM

how do I remove the dash? and see if this motor is damaged?...and from where could I buy this part?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:22 PM

you cant see that the motor is damaged...it looks physically fine. Under your steering wheel there is the plastic cover that covers the steering column. It has 4-6 speed clips... carefully pull it off if your doing the work yourself. Its going to feel like they want to break just dont twist it. I think there is a how to on the column or the steering motor and it shows you how to remove the dash cover (its cake)

The power steering motor craps out because it gets hot, as a "safety" it cuts off the power steering. Only happens at lower speeds and generally sometime after 30k miles or so. I'm not 100% if you can buy the motor by itself. I got mine replaced from the recall.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...-motor-156707/ he replaced the column... There is no visible damage. Yours is having problems if your power steering is cutting out, you get a message on the dash saying "Power steering". Turn the car off, then back on and it works fine. If its not doing this (yet). I would really try to get GM to do the recall one way or another. If they refuse to you can file a complaint with the NHTSA... however I dont know what laws will or will not pertain to the situation because of your location.

Last edited by SSchargedSS; 09-03-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:12 PM

Well, I got not message on the DIC about the power steering but the EPS fuse burned. I replace it and its working fine..but mexi_loco told me that it will burn again if I dont replace the EPS motor. I can't find on eBay a new one. There are 4 used that were "taken from" cobalts...which maybe with the problem. :S..how to tell because its not visible..... With my VIN number, could someone get this motor from a GM dealer for me???

Thank you for posting the thread with the how to... I understand now, and I think I cant do it myself.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Other strange fact about my cobalt, its on has 19K on it...and this problem seem to began earlier from everybody else's.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:20 PM

don't forget to unplug the wiring for the trunk release button while lowering the cover

Originally Posted by SSchargedSS
Only happens at lower speeds
i call b.s. on that, mine crapped out at 75mph on an exit ramp...not fun

Last edited by bobbyhill31286; 09-03-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by bobbyhill31286
don't forget to unplug the wiring for the trunk release button while lowering the cover

i call b.s. on that, mine crapped out at 75mph on an exit ramp...not fun
b.s.? Read the recall its talks about the slower speeds. IF yours failed for the same reason then it was really really shot. There is multiple TSB's out for the column, many things can make your power steering fail.
chris yours sounds like it might be another issue. Some times the power steering fuse will pop if the car is jumped improperly. However, I dont think the recall had any info about the fuse popping. let me see if i can dig it up

this might help

Service Information
Document ID: 2322970
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#07-02-32-007B: Diagnostic Tips for Power Steering Inoperative/Steering Wheel Hard to Turn, Power Steering Message Displayed on DIC, DTCs C0176, C0475, C0476, C0550, U2105, U2107 Set - (Aug 6, 2009)

Subject: Diagnostic Tips for Power Steering Inoperative/Steering Wheel Hard to Turn, Power Steering Message Displayed on DIC, DTCs C0176, C0475, C0476, C0550, U2105, U2107 Set

Models: 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR

2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2007-2009 Pontiac G5

2003-2007 Saturn ION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the information for DTC C0475. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-02-32-007A (Section 02 -- Steering).

The following diagnostics might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the condition(s) described above. Use the appropriate recommendation based on what symptom has occurred.

No DTCs
Review Corporate Bulletin Number 05-02-32-002D to assure you do not have a blown 60 amp steering fuse. The fuse can be blown during improper jump starting of the vehicle on the HHR and ION. Check for this particularly for tow in conditions. DO NOT replace the steering column unless an internal short has been identified in the column that is causing fuse to blow.

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTCs C0176 and C0476
This condition is often the result of excessive lock-to-lock turns of the steering wheel, causing the thermal protection in the power steering control module (PSCM) to take the steering motor temporarily off line. This is a normal operating characteristic of the system. DO NOT replace the steering column for this condition. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-32-002C for additional information.

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC C0550 in the PSCM
Inspect the motor harness connection to the PSCM. If no connector problems are found, replace the steering column ONLY as this is an internal controller issue.

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC C0475 in the PSCM
Check the connection between the EPS motor and the power steering control module (PSCM) by ensuring the harness connector is properly seated. If the connection is normal, replace ONLY the EPS motor.

Note: If the DTC resets immediately following motor replacement, replace the steering column.

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC U2105 and/or U2107 in the PSCM with any other U codes
Although the code(s) appear in the PSCM, these are communication codes and are not the result of a problem with the column operation or the control module. If the codes are in history, clear the codes and re-key the vehicle a few times to see if they come back. If they reappear, look for a communication issue from the BCM U2107 or ECM U2105 (wiring, connector, etc.) as the root cause. If the codes do not reappear after a test drive, return the vehicle back to the customer. DO NOT replace the steering column.

Warranty Information
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

E8434
Power Steering Assist Motor Replacement
Use Published Labor Operation Time

E7680
Steering Column Replacement

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Š 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved

Last edited by SSchargedSS; 09-03-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by SSchargedSS
b.s.? Read the recall its talks about the slower speeds. IF yours failed for the same reason then it was really really shot.
i wasn't callin out or anything man. i was just sayin mine took a dump at higher speed. i never had an issue with my power steering since i've owned my car...untill 4th of july weekend. it went out 3 times within 15-20mins. had to shut off and restart engine while rollin down the highway.

**on a side note, i just got my recall notice in the mail today after the part was replaced using the recall # over 2 months ago now
Old 09-04-2010, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyhill31286
i wasn't callin out or anything man. i was just sayin mine took a dump at higher speed. i never had an issue with my power steering since i've owned my car...untill 4th of july weekend. it went out 3 times within 15-20mins. had to shut off and restart engine while rollin down the highway.

**on a side note, i just got my recall notice in the mail today after the part was replaced using the recall # over 2 months ago now
Thats really weird but come to think of it, outside temp did effect it to. July 4 is usually one of the hottest days. Sorta sux.. these cars dont like real hot or cold days.. it has to be 73 and sunny for no problems