Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Problems under acceleration in ss t/c

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems under acceleration in ss t/c

Ugh...yet another problem with my 2 month old 2008 SS. I drove from NJ to Boston today for work and the car did fine in the horrible horrible rain. I was about an hour away when I went to pass this car. I was in 5th gear doing about 65 and sped up a bit to maybe 70-73mph staying in fifth. As boost rose to about 15psi or so the car started stuttering and and absolutely no power. It felt as if an intercooler pipe got loose or a hose clamp was loose. So I took it easy until I could stop and get gas. Popped open the hood and checked the pipes the best I could at 8PM in the dark and they seemed tight enough. If I get some time while I'm here during the day I'll just tighten up all the clamps.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue and could post up their experience. Honestly I'm getting fed up with this BS. My 2006 SS had absolutely no problems except for the common issue of the paint on the interior peeling here and there. With this one I've brought it in twice for brakes and a long cranking issue. They fixed the long crank issue, but my brakes still squeak like a ****. I plan on fixing that myself as they obviously have no idea what to do. I really don't want to have to bring it in for service again because the guys at my service department are utter retards except for the service manager. Too bad he won't get his hands dirty and do the work himself. Ridiculous.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:44 PM

i read something similar to this maybe a week ago on here. i personally havent had any problems with mine *knock on wood* but im sure someone will chime in caz i have heard similar problems once or twice
Old 10-25-2008, 11:58 PM

I think the tune is ALL the problem with this car.I am having some "slip feeling" issues in 2nd gear that were'nt there before and there is no f'in way it's the clutch already.My general feeling is that the tune is soooo self concious,that it is cutting power for good mileage.edit:i did the same as you,and the piping is perfect.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit1
I think the tune is ALL the problem with this car.I am having some "slip feeling" issues in 2nd gear that were'nt there before and there is no f'in way it's the clutch already.My general feeling is that the tune is soooo self concious,that it is cutting power for good mileage.edit:i did the same as you,and the piping is perfect.
I wouldn't be surprised. This is ridiculous.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:23 PM
liu

I had a very similar problem in my 08 on my way to Lordstown. Fifth gear (and once in fourth) went to pass a car while I was going 70 and just completely bogged down. I did not notice the boost gauge when it happened. But I let off, waited a second, then punched it again and off I went.

It happened twice on the way out (both 6-7 hours into the trip) and once on the way home (again about the same time into the trip) this one as I was more .. awake.. I intentionally did not let off as quick as I was within an hour from my home, I watched rev's and hoped for a CEL or some other symptom, but alas none came. It has not happened since (now that I have HPTuners logging nearly all the time, I couldn't get that lucky), no codes at all were thrown.

Coolant temps, etc, were all normal at the time.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by liu
I had a very similar problem in my 08 on my way to Lordstown. Fifth gear (and once in fourth) went to pass a car while I was going 70 and just completely bogged down.

I just learned to drive a manual transmission in my 08 Cobalt, so I could be off base, but I don't think there is any problem with your car or the original posters.

If you are cruising on the highway in 5th gear at 70mph, your engine rpm is likely around 2,000. This gear is for cruising and not acceleration; hitting the gas in 5th gear is not good because it puts a lot of stress on the car. You need to downshift into 4th gear in order to hit the gas and pass someone on the highway. 2k rpm is relatively low compared to the possible 6k our engines are capable of turning. Downshifting will increase the engine's rpm and allow you to more smoothly make a passing maneuver.

Please someone with years of manual experience or technical car knowledge explain this in more detail.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by aterminatorz
I just learned to drive a manual transmission in my 08 Cobalt, so I could be off base, but I don't think there is any problem with your car or the original posters.

If you are cruising on the highway in 5th gear at 70mph, your engine rpm is likely around 2,000. This gear is for cruising and not acceleration; hitting the gas in 5th gear is not good because it puts a lot of stress on the car. You need to downshift into 4th gear in order to hit the gas and pass someone on the highway. 2k rpm is relatively low compared to the possible 6k our engines are capable of turning. Downshifting will increase the engine's rpm and allow you to more smoothly make a passing maneuver.

Please someone with years of manual experience or technical car knowledge explain this in more detail.
There is NOTHING wrong with giving it gas in 5th. Those cars have torque, use it.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chris88z24
There is NOTHING wrong with giving it gas in 5th. Those cars have torque, use it.
To add onto this - at 70 MPH in 5th gear you should be up around 2800 RPM which is more than high enough to give the car a little passing throttle. You obviously don't need to floor it in 5th, but you shouldn't need to downshift just to pass someone unless there's some urgency.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:38 AM

I have an 09SS/TC and have had it for about 2months now, I have had no problems with mine, except for the breaks made noise but when i Painted my rims, i scuffed the rotors with 200 grit sand paper to get that crappy oil like coating off that they put on all rotors so they dont rust on a lot, no noise since that.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dainslaif
To add onto this - at 70 MPH in 5th gear you should be up around 2800 RPM which is more than high enough to give the car a little passing throttle. You obviously don't need to floor it in 5th, but you shouldn't need to downshift just to pass someone unless there's some urgency.
Agreed. Thank you.

I've been driving stick for 8 years now....but thanks anyway.

The problem seems to have magically gone away somehow...oh well...