Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Quick Question about rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick Question about rotors

ok, so here is the background story. Bring the car to the dealership for some vibrations. I know the drums (yea base model) in the back have a tendency to cause some bad vibes, but i started thinking that my rotors weren't so hot either. I get a call back that the drums need to be cut, and that my rotors are warped and pads need to be changed (these are 50,000+ mile ceramic pads and are shot after 20k.... not happy). I ask to get the drilled and slotted rotors and they immediately shoot me down saying that they will not install aftermarket parts. I calmly explain that they are GM parts, guy says he never heard of them. He called me back two hours later saying they finally found the part (they didnt know gm made performance parts for the cobalt) and that they would cost me 160 EACH! plus labor. so I say no way, ill get them myself and have you install them. He argues with me on that and then says they will not warranty any of the work or the rotors if they do it that way (BTW, they broke a wheel stud while they were removing a lug nut, so I gotta replace that as well)

So i ordered the rotors myself, my question is, how long would an install take if im doing it myself. I know my way around the car, i've done my own brakes before. This time, the pads are from Monro and are guaranteed free for the life of the car (just gotta pay labor) so I was thinking of doing the rotors and stud myself early in the AM and then bringing it right up to monro.

I imagine without any hangups that a rotor swap and replacing a stud should only take about an hour and a half or so.... anyone who's done this have a better estimate?

Thanks guys,

bump for afternoon

Last edited by OrngBalt; 04-05-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2008, 09:12 PM

20 views and no response?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you can change pads, you can change the rotor......remove the tire, remove the caliper, remove the bracket that holds the pads, slide rotor off...
Old 04-05-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you have 4 lug of 5 lug wheels
Old 04-06-2008, 11:58 PM

Its extremely easy. dealerships often try to mess with you on brakejobs...I dropped my car off for pads once and they ended up replacing all my brake lines and all this crap that was all perfectly fine, 400$ for a brake job i think not..
Old 04-07-2008, 02:59 AM

Yea, i am gonna do it myself. I got the new stud and rotors and gonna do them either friday afternoon or saturday morning and then shoot over to Monro to have the pads replaced for free.

I didnt say it in the first thread but did you know that the dealerships want $110 to change out fog light bulbs? how ridiculous is that? and I would have to wait 3 days while they ordered another bulb cuz they only had 1 in stock.... who stocks 1 bulb?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:13 AM

i replaced a wheel stud only like 3 or 4 weeks ago..i screwed up it and id it with my cousin...with the right tools it took like around 10-15 min and thast basically it..that was on the front..so shouldn' take you more than half hour on the fronts
Old 04-07-2008, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
Yea, i am gonna do it myself. I got the new stud and rotors and gonna do them either friday afternoon or saturday morning and then shoot over to Monro to have the pads replaced for free.

I didnt say it in the first thread but did you know that the dealerships want $110 to change out fog light bulbs? how ridiculous is that? and I would have to wait 3 days while they ordered another bulb cuz they only had 1 in stock.... who stocks 1 bulb?
GM has this silly, computerized stocking suggestion system now. Stocked parts are suggested to the parts department based on recent demand in the dealership and the surrounding area. That means that if the demand for fog light bulbs is high enough they will be recommended for stock, but possibly only in a quantity of 1. It's up to the parts manager to recognize that he should stock them in pairs. Some parts managers aren't too bright.