Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Rebuilt engine...no start...no clue, please help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rebuilt engine...no start...no clue, please help ASAP

I need some help urgently!!!
I'm going to try to make this as short as possible...
My timing chain skipped timing.. 8-9 teeth to be exact
I finally got done putting the car back together after almost 3 full months (full time student and broke my leg in the process)

so here is the problem: I tried starting the car for the first time and it turned over but never started. I ended up getting a P0602 code, basically stating I needed to reflash my ECU/PCM or whatever it is. I reflashed it with my tune from last summer and the code
went away but the car is still not starting..
-I have spark (spark plugs gapped at .045 according to Chilton's..which seems incorrect??)
-I have 60psi at the fuel rail
-Fuel injectors are pulsating, I don't think that necessary means they are throwing fuel.
-All of the wiring was somewhat double checked, got a new battery as well
-I don't think my crank sensor is bad because I do have spark and I'm pretty positive the hex in my exhaust cam housing is aligned properly

I'm not sure what else I need to check, I was 95% positive I had my timing correct but I ended up needing to take out and put back in my left chain guide which makes me think I might have missed a tooth somehow while doing that...

So before I redo my timing does anyone have any ideas what else could have gone wrong that I could check, as I said, I don't have too much time since I'm a full time student and currently on crutches so I'd really like to check everything possible before I waste more time doing my timing. Plus it's sort of a pain working on the car with my leg being broken but I need the car ASAP to get to and from school.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cam position sensor? Could be reversed.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:02 PM

You're talking about the hex piece in the exhaust cam housing right? I forgot to set that when I originally had the car at TDC so I did it afterwards. Could I have set it at maybe the wrong TDC.
for example, I set it when at exhaust TDC instead of compression TDC, if that makes sense
Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
rotate it 180* and see if it starts
Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Amir Ama
You're talking about the hex piece in the exhaust cam housing right? I forgot to set that when I originally had the car at TDC so I did it afterwards. Could I have set it at maybe the wrong TDC.
for example, I set it when at exhaust TDC instead of compression TDC, if that makes sense
Yes. That could happen.

Try resetting the CPS to TDC compression stroke, and see if anything changes.

Taken from my "How to" for installing cams thread:

Setting/installing the Camshaft Position Sensor:

- Rotate the engine to TDC cylinder #1 compression stroke.
- Install a new CPS sensor housing gasket (not required, but I did).
- Rotate the notch in the hex so it lines up with the tab on the CPS housing (see photo below).

Note: The instructions in the LSJ build book for aligning the CPS sensor are incorrect. The way the build book explains it makes it 180 degrees out of time. You will set a P0315 code (Crank Shaft Position Not Learned), and the engine will just crank, and crank for days w/o turning over. Trust me, I know.... it happened to me.

- Carefully insert the CPS housing into the exhaust cam (this can be a pita).
- Pull back to make sure the hex stayed in alignment.
- Place a drop of red loctite on the threads of the CPS housing bolts.
- Hand start/tighten the CPS housing bolts, followed by torquing them to 10 ft-lbs.
- Connect the CPS sensor harness to the CPS sensor.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM

Okay I will do that, but if that hex is rotated incorrectly would I get a code through my scanner while just cranking? As I said, I'm not getting any trouble codes and I figured something like that would get picked up when just cranking it over.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Okay I will do that, but if that hex is rotated incorrectly would I get a code through my scanner while just cranking? As I said, I'm not getting any trouble codes and I figured something like that would get picked up when just cranking it over.
I got a P0315 code when I had mine 180 degrees off.

Not a cam code but crank shaft variation not learned. I did throw a CEL, but did set a code which I found in my interceptor gauge.

My car just cranked, and cranked, and cranked when I had it set wrong.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Alright, so in that case can I assume it is in correct position because I'm not getting any codes... the way I'm understanding you is that you did have a code when you tried to crank it, which would mean mine is fine..

correct me if I'm wrong, that's just the way I understood your comment
Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Alright, so in that case can I assume it is in correct position because I'm not getting any codes... the way I'm understanding you is that you did have a code when you tried to crank it, which would mean mine is fine..

correct me if I'm wrong, that's just the way I understood your comment
Yes, I had a code, but I would still check yours.

It's odd you didn't get a code.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 PM

That's what's confusing me... if anything like that was wrong I'm sure I would of popped a code even though it's not running...

So it's just leading me to think I screwed up the timing although as I said I was pretty certain I had it timed right.(my first time timing the car)
Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 PM

Thanks for help guys.
Ends up being I had my Intake Cam rotated 180 out so my valves were opening at the same time as exhaust. Luckily nothing broke, woohoo!