Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Replaced head unit, car will not crank.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced head unit, car will not crank.

so i cut the factory harness out of the car to hard wire the stero in because the factory harness is garbage and my right front speeker kept cutting in and out. (they coudlnt even put a decent ground wire in it) ive done this a million times before on other cars and 2 other cobalts. mine is a 2005 base, 2 door, standard transmission power locks. so i wired up the stereo using my standard wire diagram for the harness. i get it all hooked up, turn the key, radio does not power on. the only way i could get the aftermarket deck to power on was to touch the switched wire to the constant power wire. so i said screw it. i put the factory harness back in and hooked my aftermarket deck up as it has been for 6 months and still nothing. i put the factory radio in and that works fine (switch wire to the fusebox does not get power) i checked every fuse i could get to inside the car and under the hood. none were blown. so then i thought to myself, its hot out here, im moving my car into the shade. i go to start the car, doesnt crank. all typical lights come on, my door locks cycle as they should, but the starter doesnt get the signal to start the car. i then noticed the DIC buttons next to the wiper control arm dont work and the wipers dont work either. so i have a car now that get zero power to the switch wire coming from the fusebox (repladed fuse, was not the issue) the wipers do not turn on, and the car will not crank. it is now a 2005 paperweight. went to a local dealership and they said the passlock software probably has to be reset. one issue, i cant drive the car to the dealership to get it reset. i tried the leaving the key in a certain position for 10-15 minutes garbage and none of that worked either. thoughts? anyone? when i get this car functioning again, the first thing im doing is getting rid of it.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by SlickShady
so i cut the factory harness out of the car to hard wire the stero in because the factory harness is garbage and my right front speeker kept cutting in and out. (they coudlnt even put a decent ground wire in it) ive done this a million times before on other cars and 2 other cobalts. mine is a 2005 base, 2 door, standard transmission power locks. so i wired up the stereo using my standard wire diagram for the harness. i get it all hooked up, turn the key, radio does not power on. the only way i could get the aftermarket deck to power on was to touch the switched wire to the constant power wire. so i said screw it. i put the factory harness back in and hooked my aftermarket deck up as it has been for 6 months and still nothing. i put the factory radio in and that works fine (switch wire to the fusebox does not get power) i checked every fuse i could get to inside the car and under the hood. none were blown. so then i thought to myself, its hot out here, im moving my car into the shade. i go to start the car, doesnt crank. all typical lights come on, my door locks cycle as they should, but the starter doesnt get the signal to start the car. i then noticed the DIC buttons next to the wiper control arm dont work and the wipers dont work either. so i have a car now that get zero power to the switch wire coming from the fusebox (repladed fuse, was not the issue) the wipers do not turn on, and the car will not crank. it is now a 2005 paperweight. went to a local dealership and they said the passlock software probably has to be reset. one issue, i cant drive the car to the dealership to get it reset. i tried the leaving the key in a certain position for 10-15 minutes garbage and none of that worked either. thoughts? anyone? when i get this car functioning again, the first thing im doing is getting rid of it.
dumb
Old 09-07-2010, 09:10 PM

try unplugging the new head unit and see if it starts
Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 PM

no. like i said, the factory radio works car still doesnt start. car does not start without a radio in it either. and comments like "dumb" are exactly that. go to the rant section on craigslist if you want to flame for no reason.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 PM

well, if you would of spent the extra buck to get the correct harness, you wouldn't have this issue.... since you hacked your car up... your having issues....

you say 05, but what year is the car? if its above 06 you need a module.

if its not starting... check your ecu fuse, if thats not blown... you probably have done severe damage to your bcm of the car.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:34 PM

and my right front speaker kept cutting in and out.
same **** that happens to my 06 LS. annoys the hell out of me.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:43 PM

i had this same thing happen to me in my camaro. i tried the key thing and it didn't work either. it happened twice and it was the security system both times. the only way i could get the thing to start was to take it to the dealership and have them reset the security system...they wouldn't tell me how to reset it. im sure someone on here knows how to do it with the cobalts though. good luck
Old 09-08-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cefaln452
well, if you would of spent the extra buck to get the correct harness, you wouldn't have this issue.... since you hacked your car up... your having issues....

you say 05, but what year is the car? if its above 06 you need a module.

if its not starting... check your ecu fuse, if thats not blown... you probably have done severe damage to your bcm of the car.
05 means its a 2005 cobalt. correct harness? ive been using the correct harness. only one harness is going to fit a gm. i bypassed the harness, which i have done a million times. dealership is going to reset the security system on it tomorrow and im trading the car for a 2001 mustang. im done with gm.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Some thing you created and you blam GM.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by rhanes216213
Some thing you created and you blam GM.
seems like more and more cobalt owners are blaming GM for their f***ups

its sad really. and if you're gonna get a rustang at least get a cobra...
Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I love it as well. Nothing like someone "hacking" away at the wires then blaming GM because they faulted the BCM when they cut the factory wires. Damn GM for putting anti-theft systems in their cars.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:08 PM

i don't get it either...that would be like me blaming gm for my clutch going out...i drive the **** out of my car everytime i get in the thing...what did i expect after getting tuned...of course it was gonna go...damn you gm for not making my clutch hold to my ridiculous driving tendencies...im trading it in
Old 09-08-2010, 01:26 PM

yea... your a hack.... you should never cut a harness out of a car and think its ok to do so. They make harnesses to adapt over for the reason of people ******* **** up like your self... i hope you fried your bcm so you learn that is not "ok" to chop a harness in a car that was there for a reason
Old 09-08-2010, 01:29 PM

05 means its a 2005 cobalt. correct harness? ive been using the correct harness. only one harness is going to fit a gm. i bypassed the harness, which i have done a million times. dealership is going to reset the security system on it tomorrow and im trading the car for a 2001 mustang. im done with gm.
incorrect... dont even let me begin to show you how wrong you are with that comment.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:58 PM

well, this coming from people who make it their mission to mod the **** out of their cars. im not blaming gm for what i did. im just done with gm and their fucked up security systems. all of you ******** can sit atop your high horses and feel good about flaming on other people asking for your help. thats fine. you can also take this forum and shove it up your fat asses.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 PM

if you do it the correct way and dont be a cheap bastard you won't fall into issues like the one that you are in
Old 09-08-2010, 06:46 PM

Your problem, was in the first 5 words of this thread. Fucktard.