Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Rich exhaust P0172

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich exhaust P0172

Anyone know anything about a rich running exhaust, Code P0172? I have had worst luck with my SS, bought it from a dealership not realizing the previous owner did a lot of aftermarket work on it, just the wrong way! Messed up a lot of stuff. I switched out the custom exhaust he actually made, got megan racing... but it was still running rich, I get horrible gas mileage, and of course it smells, and my idling is also messed up. It idles at different places between a lil under 1k and 1.5k rpm... also when i throw it in neutral it like shoots down, goes back up and then will come down to either 1k or 1.5k RPM. The mechanic who has been looking at my car is start to upset me and seems like he really doesn't work on my car much. He replaced the o2 sensor but its still running rich. I was just curious if anyone had any input on this... I'm goin to take it to Dobbs or any other actual mechanical place. Chevy of course gives me hell about the aftermarket exhaust so i don't even want to deal with them.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 PM

oh really!? Okay I saw an article on cleaning the throttle body, so I will definitely need to do that. And the intake.... you think i should just change it or what?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find out whats stock.
Is the pulley stock.
are the injectors stock
If they are reflash the tune back to stock.
If you have stage 2 injector and pulley(if purchased from dealer will have blue cap screws holding it on)
Have it tuned for stage 2.
Make sure the prpoer plugs are in it as well go back to stock and starting from there is probably the best thing to do if you dont know what the guy did to it.

The dealer can check the tune to see if its been modified as well.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the same thing that happened to you, happened to me.
I baught a modded car from a dealership too. PRoblem is, when the
dealerships get them in, they reset the tunes to stock. Mine had a K&N Intake,
ZZP 2.85" SUpercharger PUlly, and 42# Fuel Injectors, and an Intense Raceing PCM, that had been programed to GM Stock standards. Driving arround I also was getting code P0172. I contacted INtense, and got my car Dynoed, and re-tuned. Runs great now Before the tune my idle was even unsteady abit. But Chevy gave me crap about the aftermarket stuff too. I think your problem is same as mine, you need a tune.

Originally Posted by juice3
Anyone know anything about a rich running exhaust, Code P0172? I have had worst luck with my SS, bought it from a dealership not realizing the previous owner did a lot of aftermarket work on it, just the wrong way! Messed up a lot of stuff. I switched out the custom exhaust he actually made, got megan racing... but it was still running rich, I get horrible gas mileage, and of course it smells, and my idling is also messed up. It idles at different places between a lil under 1k and 1.5k rpm... also when i throw it in neutral it like shoots down, goes back up and then will come down to either 1k or 1.5k RPM. The mechanic who has been looking at my car is start to upset me and seems like he really doesn't work on my car much. He replaced the o2 sensor but its still running rich. I was just curious if anyone had any input on this... I'm goin to take it to Dobbs or any other actual mechanical place. Chevy of course gives me hell about the aftermarket exhaust so i don't even want to deal with them.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:04 PM

oh wow, okay. Do i get the tunes at the dealership? Or can i get it at another place such as dobbs or what not?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 AM

Thumbs up

oh wow, okay. Do i get the tunes at the dealership? Or can i get it at another place such as dobbs or what not?
I got my tune from Intense since that's where my PCM is from. Check your PCM (in front of your coolant tank if you have the 2.0) I doubt the dealership will give you a tune unless you buy one of the GM Stage kits. The tune has to be set for your pully / fuel injector/ intake / whatever ealse. The tune is the software that gets all your components to work together as a happy team.

But there are lots of places to get a tune from. Some of the people on here may be able to get you a tune. I think somewhere on this forum is a thread for Tunes and tuneing. Alot of the supporting vendors offer tuneing,
I THINK you canget one from ZZP (ZZ Performance) or Trifecta (Wich coincidently is a local pizza joint where I live) or Intense.

Also,
If you can, find a Dyno near where you live. Get it Dynoed before you get it tuned and provied the dyno information to your selected tuner. It's a little extra money, but well worth it.

Last edited by insylem; 03-28-2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: afterthought
Old 03-28-2010, 01:16 AM

okay man, i'll definitely look into that... thanks for the information! This has been bugging me so much, I kept thinkin i had to replace some expensive part or something.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:47 AM

Friend looked at my exhuast other day and noticed on my downpipe that i don't have a catalytic converter.... i'm supposed to have 2 right?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Talking

Friend looked at my exhuast other day and noticed on my downpipe that i don't have a catalytic converter.... i'm supposed to have 2 right?
Yup you are. But now you have some leagle issues too since the law says you have to have one. You could try to press the issue with the dealership, selling you an illegale car, but they may say that you should have had a mechanic look at it, blah blah blah. But if your catless, just keep it hush hush. Cops normaly dont inspect cats, even when they pull you over
Old 04-04-2010, 02:43 PM

Well i have the one on my midpipe... I'm in the process of looking for a downpipe someone is sellin on the forums. So if i replace it, it should fix my running rich problem and give me better gas mileage right?