Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Rod knock!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rod knock!

2.2 ls'. Who's got bad startup noise, sounds like a 305 out of an old cabby. Pretty sure bearings are goin poo, but I don't have another LS to compare. This is only under cold start, but also if its warm and sits for a while. Some cars make some nasty noises when cold or sit for a minute from the oil bleeding down from tappets, and blah blah blah.

I think it might be time to see the dealer, but I need some ammo first.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

get a vid and post it. could be lifter tick or is it a heavy knock?
Does it go away after a while???
Old 08-20-2008, 09:19 PM

quiets down, but I'm a very picky tech. Customer doesn't get thier car back till I know its in better condition then the way it came in. So in other words I have the mechanics ear/painters eye, I think everythings a potential problem.

To further answer, it does calm down, but I can always hear it. In the garage in the morning? Sounds like the rods are just gonna go kaput. I don't have a video cam other than my phone, but hell I'll give it a shot.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Banned

you're a Tech but not sure if its a rod knock????

Old 08-21-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 07MONTECARLO_SS

x2
Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM

If he works with imports (ie honda, bmw) it's very possible he's never seen the inside of an engine. Nah I'm just kidding...but seriously, it could be a series of things...the noise is coming from the crankcase I'd assume?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by theneelster
If he works with imports (ie honda, bmw) it's very possible he's never seen the inside of an engine. Nah I'm just kidding...but seriously, it could be a series of things...the noise is coming from the crankcase I'd assume?
you didnt pour sand in the engine to polish the ports, did you??
Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 PM

i think i just fell outta my chair
Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 PM

My uncle has a 2.2 ecotec in a 2001 Saturn It is the first production run of the ecotec and I have noticed that over the past 3 years or 40000 miles that he has a knocking sound when he first starts it up.. I think his knocking is coming from the valve train.. I heard it from up high, not down in the crankcase.. Like the head was starving for oil during start up..Its not a ticking or pecking, its a knock..like theres a little man inside of it with a hammer trying to get out..lol
Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 PM

theneelster clear your inbox!!! That link you sent me didn't work
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 PM

Actually they suck it up in the intake. Not me...I have a gremlin in the head of my engine who ports and operates my valvetrain no port or camshafts required.

Originally Posted by shsballa023
theneelster clear your inbox!!! That link you sent me didn't work
goto red line forums . com and look in the how to section.

Last edited by theneelster; 08-21-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-22-2008, 02:51 PM

Remind me not to come to your shop looking for a car running as good as spec.

Most people don't understand that with concerns, people concurring that there is a known issue or if it is out of the ordinary, it will allow me to say hey Chevy, give me a new engine under 10/100.

So most of you that wasted your time to post, don't seem to understand this theory, nor did you attend a basic grammar class, due to your inability to read, (quoting my first post) "Some cars make some nasty noises when cold or sit for a minute from the oil bleeding down from tappets". Now here, I'm pretty much asking "is this going to be considered normal by a dealer."

Even still spammers like some of you ruin the world, I say this because, wasn't there a time when you were starting out as a tech, that you might just wanted to hear from someone else if your particular concern is a known concern in the eyes of that manuf. or techs for that manuf?

Perfect example 3.3L out of a Hyundai. Sounds like hell when it first starts up, then shuts up a little while longer, as mine does.

So back to my question that is yet to be answered, IS KNOCKING DURING COLD START CONSIDERED NORMAL (TO CHEVY OR CHEVY DEALER/TECH/DIRECTOR) DURING THE LIFETIME OF A 2.2 ECO? OR DOES ANYONE ELSES CAR ON THIS REPUTABLE WEBSITE HAVE THE SAME SOUND DURING STARTUP?

And hey 'ers. Get a life.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:21 PM

actually i own a 06 2.0 ss/sc and every morning when i start it, it has a nasty sounding knocking/tapping sound coming from the head, and 4 the past month ive been fighting with the dealership to either fix the problem or replace my engine all together, but the lousy good 4 nothing techs there insist that they cant hear or find the problem. to top it off they said to me that im hearing things. and after my engine warms up to about 50 degrees the knockin/tapping goes away and it runs smooth as butter
Old 08-22-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gifted
So most of you that wasted your time to post, don't seem to understand this theory, nor did you attend a basic grammar class, due to your inability to read, (quoting my first post) "Some cars make some nasty noises when cold or sit for a minute from the oil bleeding down from tappets". Now here, I'm pretty much asking "is this going to be considered normal by a dealer."
I think they were wondering why you didn't know the difference between the top of the engine and the bottom.

Valvetrain up top, rods at the bottom. Isolate the location of the sound, you are one step closer to your answer.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
I think they were wondering why you didn't know the difference between the top of the engine and the bottom.

Valvetrain up top, rods at the bottom. Isolate the location of the sound, you are one step closer to your answer.
QFTW!!!

If you don't know what it sounds like then maybe you should close the hood and take it to someone who does.

Last edited by Jackalope; 08-23-2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Banned

I think it's probably piston slap.

Lots of people confuse piston slap with rod knock.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Banned

I could be anything. You cant diagnoise a car via the interwebs, if i was there, could probably pinpoint it.

Thanks for being a dick, oviously you must be a Lube tech and dont know **** about cars.

Remember kids, stay in school!!!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by SSdan
I think it's probably piston slap.

Lots of people confuse piston slap with rod knock.
In "piston slap" are you referring to slack or wear in the wrist pins??
Old 08-23-2008, 11:31 PM

Piston slap is when the Wrist pin seizes and when it goes to rotate, it snaps back and forth instead of a gentle gliding action
Old 08-25-2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
QFTW!!!

If you don't know what it sounds like then maybe you should close the hood and take it to someone who does.

LOL. I love this forum. We're all so nice. tisk tisk. Be nice. And you own a beemer? Ouch. All the less deserving get nice cars, how's that work out?

I could be anything. You cant diagnoise a car via the interwebs, if i was there, could probably pinpoint it.

Thanks for being a dick, oviously you must be a Lube tech and dont know **** about cars.

Remember kids, stay in school!!!

And ha ha to that too. Not a lube tech, but as I said, I still am in school and have only a few of my ASE's which is more than some on this forum.
I'm not looking for diagnosis MonteCarlo, and I was only retorting to your unmitigated comment. So if you can dish it but can't take it then I'm sorry for you. But I like your style.

ANYWAY. Can we all get back on topic.

Piston slap is also when youre looking at a cylinder thats worn out in like an hourglass shape allowing too much room next to the piston to keep it square in the cylinder. Thus allowing the piston head to rock and slap dat azz.

To follow up, my initial question was is this a normal condition with other concurring 2.2 eco owners, or is it out of the ordinary. I've already pinpointed the noise via coil shutdown 1 cyl at a time, and narrowed it down to the bulk of the noise coming from cyl 4 and thus more than likely being the piston.

But if I walk into a dealer and auth a diag fee and I don't have anything to prove that its not normal operation or aging, I'm stuck with $85+ fees. As with many in Michigan, economy is draining my wallet.

And I'm yet to see an answer to this question.

And thank you "troublezSS" for your legitimate answer, but in the eyes of a dealer a 2.0s/c and a 2.2n/a is two different breeds. Thanks!

Also, 2.2's = hyperutectics? Usually a little louder just like my 2.6t in my TSi.

Thanks for keepin this topic fun and interesting.

lol

Went out again after lettin it sit, noise remained untill unplugged cyl 4 coil. Seems like its a piston.

Time for the dealer.

Isn't how you're supposed to port and polish? Carbide bits take way too long.

Last edited by Gifted; 08-25-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: gayness
Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gifted
LOL. I love this forum. We're all so nice. tisk tisk. Be nice. And you own a beemer? Ouch. All the less deserving get nice cars, how's that work out?

Actualy you got answered how YOU responded. All that was asked is how IF your a tech don't you know what a rod knock sounds like, you got pissy you got flamed a little. Deal with it cause you brought it on yourself.

As for me owning a "beemer" I don't own any motorcycles at at let alone a BMW bike. The cars BTW are known as BIMMERS. If you want to insult someone at least know what your talking about before you try to.

And less deserving? I drive trains for a living, make around 100k a year, how does that make me less deserving? I can aford it, you can't, so you hate. Whatever.

Just remember YOU started it.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:26 PM

Actualy you got answered how YOU responded. All that was asked is how IF your a tech don't you know what a rod knock sounds like, you got pissy you got flamed a little. Deal with it cause you brought it on yourself.

As for me owning a "beemer" I don't own any motorcycles at at let alone a BMW bike. The cars BTW are known as BIMMERS. If you want to insult someone at least know what your talking about before you try to.

And less deserving? I drive trains for a living, make around 100k a year, how does that make me less deserving? I can aford it, you can't, so you hate. Whatever.

Just remember YOU started it.

I did start it, it's all my fault and it's all fun. You don't see me crying about it. I can't afford a new BIMMER as the reason I own a COBALT. You're right, driving trains does give you the right to drive your bimmer... Even if I had the money for a bimmer I'd still buy another Cobalt, I like my Cobalt and will run it till it falls apart. BTW Beemer/Bimmer is tomatoes tomatoes (you know the phrase). My third car was an E36 so I've been there done that and the discussion of that name has been brought up with fellow Bavarians. Careful where you step because you might fall into your own bullshit.

I didn't respond nasty untill you all made assumption that the person posting didn't know what they were talking about. I'm not in this for a fight, but if you bite, I'm going to bite back (i.e: if you don't know what it sounds like close the hood and give it to someone who does).

I work my ASS OFF for my money and it's hardly worth the little I'm paid but that gives me the right to defend myself, defend my knowledge, and defend my reason for asking any question to a bunch of strangers I don't know. I have no problem telling the truth that I can't afford alot, with mods, with maint, with repairs, so I need this to be covered under warranty.

This isn't a brain battle guys, this is one cobalt owner asking other cobalt owners for info on an issue that may require deep repair and it's better to have your ducks in a row rather than going in blind, is it not?

When I owned my TJ I got waves from everyone and I waved back, if they had a question or were in trouble, I HELPED. No ball busting, no bullshit, just upfront help and honesty. Cobalt owners have been a different breed, but cool none-the-less. All I was asking for was some help and more info, I figured it out allllll on my own, it's all good.

Once Chevy performs the repair I will post what they decided to do, just incase this TURNS INTO A COMMON ISSUE.

Last edited by Gifted; 08-25-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:24 PM

Dude all I did was quote someone else and you came after me. But whatever makes you happy I guess. Hope you figure out if you have a rod knocking or not, best of luck.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:34 AM

Dude all I did was quote someone else and you came after me. But whatever makes you happy I guess. Hope you figure out if you have a rod knocking or not, best of luck.
OK. I'm known for being a dick/*******/wayyyy too blunt, so don't mind my debauchery. Thanks for the good wishes.

No rod knock, piston slap I'm sure of it. Also 07-08 L61 has been improved with many new parts and new suppliers for such said parts. Per a techline advisor for GM, the L61 motor was fine tuned after the development of the new SS 2.0T engine. GM engineers found issues or weakspots that came to light once they strapped a turbo on its back. So they took the fix for those and applied them to the 2.2NA to really "beef it up" if you will. I'll be taking it to another dealer this time due to the problems I had when they rebuilt my trans.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:03 AM

it is funny this topic has been brought up...i have a 2.2l...i have recently started parking in my garage and have noticed a harsh noise on startup as soon as i started parking in the garage, it happens for about 3-5 secs and pretty much goes away.. i use mobil 1 and change it every 3000miles,i have 20xxx miles on it now, it sounds like a lifter noise/upper end noise, like the 3.1l and 3.4l gm motors on cold starts. but i have been wondering the same thing, is this "normal" for the 2.2l motor?

Quick Reply: Rod knock!