Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

rubbing noise while turning wheel (interior noise)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face EDIT: clicking noise while turning wheel (interior noise) with video

Hey guys and gals,

Just wondering if anybody could help me out...

2005 Cobalt LS2 2.2L

Recently I have noticed a rubbing/clicking noise when turning the wheel left or right. The noise continues for as long as I turn. As soon as I stop turning the wheel it stops. This happens whether or not the vehicle is in motion. I dont believe its the CV joint. The noise is not a loud click and cannot be heard outside of the vehicle. For good measure, I pulled the wheels and visually inspected the CV boots. They are intact and there is no play in the joints.

I had my I-shaft replaced in March and all is well with that.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Last edited by mooler; 10-23-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: updated post with video
Old 08-08-2012, 11:10 AM

I don't think that any of these noises matches what you're talking about, but for the sake of trying to be helpful:
Oil Filter Guide - Oil Life Monitoring - Dirty Oil Filter | ACDelco

Hope you're able to find the root of this! If you decide to work with a dealership (I understand if this isn't your planned method of addressing this), please let me know.
Sarah, GM Customer Service
Old 08-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a wheel bearing or cv. Have you had a recent brake job? Sometimes the clips that hold the pads rub on the rotor
Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 PM

Clicking Noise while turning wheel

Originally Posted by kzak104
Sounds like a wheel bearing or cv. Have you had a recent brake job? Sometimes the clips that hold the pads rub on the rotor
Thanks for the reply

I sure hope its not a CV joint or bearing. Dont have the funds to replace that now. I cannot hear any knocks or clicking outside of the vehicle when the wheel is turned so Im hoping that rules out CV joint.

I have less than 59,000 miles on my car. Would the wheel bearing and or CV joint wear that soon? And if so, Im surprised that the shop didnt diagnose that. That would officially make my car a piece of trash. Pisses me off because Im still making payments. Leased for 3 years and then bought it. ::IDIOT:: Should have gotten another lease

I just changed my brakes and rotors last Monday but the problem was there long before that. Are you talking about the retaining clips or the anti-rattle clips? Come to think of it there was only 1 anti-rattle clip on one brake pad. And I forgot to install the new clips. I can check that, but I think its something related to the steering. I cant remember if the noise was occurring before my i-shaft was replaced. I was too busy focusing on the clunk and the fact that my steering wasnt returning to center.

After listening again, while stopped and the radio off, it now sounds more like a click..kind of like baseball cards in wheel spokes. Happens when i turn the wheel in either direction

I should clarify that the noise happens when I turn the wheel, not while executing a turn. There isnt a loud mechanical click that would indicate CV Joint failure.

Im thinking it has something to do with the rubber boot at the base of the column. When I had my I shaft replaced, they didnt push the boot all the way back through the firewall. Im thinking some grease may have leaked out. I tried shooting some lithium grease down the boot, but I cant get it open far enough to do it without making a mess. Someone on youtube said he cut a small slit at the base of the boot and just shot the grease in from there.

Last edited by mooler; 10-02-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 PM

The noise has gotten progressively worse and is now a pronounced clicking sound. I cant tell where its coming from. I suspect either the i-shaft or somewhere in the column. I have attached a link to a video visualizing the problem

VID 20121023 210917 - YouTube