Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Serious help needed - fuel cutoff randomly

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious help needed - fuel cutoff randomly

Maybe you guys can help me troubleshoot..But i've gone to two dealers.

The first one said it was my atmospheric dump valve.
The next one didn't really know, but pretty much blamed my downpipe/intercooler/intake setup all at once without any specific problem.

Just before we get started - this problem came without any warning, and I had been running those mods for several months with out any issue even closely related to something like this. Here's the full story beginning to end

Pull out of my neighborhood, speed limit is 25 - So i'm not going fast or revving high or anything. Stop sign, proceed up a small hill to another stop sign. Pull to a complete stop

shudder's hard, dies. Turn the car on, put it in drive, same thing.

Repeat about 3 time Finally get the car to start moving, rev's arn't matching the speed I should be going.

Finally get it started, and turn around the 0.2 miles I went from my house. Look it over, everything externally seems fine, nothing different from earlier when I drove it. Take it out and it seems fine.

Now it doesn't run horrible anymore. It just hits this fuel cutoff at random points.

All of the different codes i've pulled to this point:
Gearbox malfunction (MIL Request)
ECM/TCM
Catalyst efficiency out of range (had that for months though)

The gearbox and ECM/TCM were only one time occurances, I havn't seen them again.

Main part to read
I'm out of ideas. The hole the MAP sensor goes in looked a little dirty so I cleaned that out with carb cleaner, so that's clean. I'm out of ideas.
This problem came out of the blue. it happens at pretty much any RPM, happens on the interstate when I go over a significantly sharp bump, any boost level, in the early stages was throwing gearbox malfunction, then I pulled an ECM/TCM code, now every time this little incident happens I just get TCS/SC errors on the SID but no CEL. Sometimes it happens when I don't even have my foot on the gas.

If the car is revved in neutral, it will jump/gargle and then it will idle at about 3k RPM's or higher, or lower. The dealer never checked if my ignition system was okay, for fouled sensors, don't know if they ever did any software updates, if my fueling system is alright.

Done. I need help.

Also i've noticed when it hits the fuel cut the fuel gauge on the dash drops to nearly zero and then comes back up
Old 06-10-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think your cat is clogged good now if you were running that inefficiency code for months.
Get it checked out,apiece of the cat can break off and plug the exhaust randomly on and off.

(when I go over a significantly sharp bump,)

If that not it check everything in your fuse box under the hood,If youve had wheel hoop a few times bad it could of rattled stuff loose,fuses ,relays etc.

Check your grounds under the hood as well.

This may sound dumb but have you checked you battery connections. Because the problems do sound a bit like voltage problems caused buy a loose connection, ground, battery etc.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
I would think your cat is clogged good now if you were running that inefficiency code for months.
Get it checked out,apiece of the cat can break off and plug the exhaust randomly on and off.

(when I go over a significantly sharp bump,)

If that not it check everything in your fuse box under the hood,If youve had wheel hoop a few times bad it could of rattled stuff loose,fuses ,relays etc.

Check your grounds under the hood as well.

This may sound dumb but have you checked you battery connections. Because the problems do sound a bit like voltage problems caused buy a loose connection, ground, battery etc.
I have the WIS so I have a list and location of every ground point on the car, i'll check it out tonight most likely. I'm at work

The battery connections are solid, i've checked those. The catalyst effecienty out of range code i've had since the day I got the new exhaust, do you still think it's a probable cause? For some reason it's not throwing that code since this problem. In fact, when this actually happens the check engine light blinks quickly but doesn't stay on, and it doesn't stay on long enough for me to pick it up.

I havn't looked at the fuse box as of yet..i'll check it out when I do the ground checkup.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:33 AM

Mine does the same thing if Im creeping in first gear and I have to let off, the rpms suddenly drop to 500 or so repeatedly it stops after 3-4 times and it' fine. It almost dies but never does, and I only have CAI
Old 06-11-2008, 12:16 AM

was a loose ground wire on the fuel management computer console. tightened the bolt up and was as good as new :-) dealer is fail, forums= 100% win. thanks!