Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Shaking when at a complete stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaking when at a complete stop

Hey guys. I have been having some problems with my car (06 LT coupe, 2.2, auto) for a WHILE now. I've posted this on another cobalt forum, but am posting here because from what I can see, there's alot more activity over here.

I just got my car back from my mechanic yesterday after having the fuel injectors replaced (after less than 35,000 miles since the recall was done on them) for a misfiring/stalling issue. My car is now shaking when I am at a complete stop. It did this before the fuel injectors were replaced, and my hubby and I figured that it was just the misfiring from the bad injectors causing this. Nope. There's no more misfiring in my car (at least not as bad as it had been...I used to be able to feel it in my seat), just the occasional shaking when stopped. It's weird. You know how you can feel it if you're on a 2 lane highway and a huge semi flies by you? It's kind of like that, but it's from front to rear, not side to side with the semi. I realized that throwing my car in neutral or park stops the shaking, so I don't know what happens if I just let it continue. It doesn't do it all the time, and it usually takes a few seconds before it starts. If I just stop and go, it doesn't do it, or if I just "roll" through a 4 way stop.

Thanks for reading this, and any ideas/help would be GREATLY appreciated. Since Nov, it just seems like my car is totally nickel and diming me. I've replaced the fuel filter, cleaned and later replaced the throttle body, replaced 4 spark plugs (at only 63,xxx miles), replaced 4 fuel injectors, put 4 new tires on it, cleaned the MAF sensor and now this. (Oh, plus the body work from an accident, but I wasn't at-fault, so that doesn't really count.) I absolutely love my Balt (well, when she runs right), and this is ticking me off...I thought it was closer to 80,000 miles that vehicles started nickel and diming??
Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 PM

Sounds like a bad motor mount. Have someone look at the engine under the hood and rev the engine, and go through the gears and see if the motor moves, and if it does identify which mount it is and there you go. Not a big deal, but it does bother some people, which here it does indeed bother you. Nothing bad can happen unless all the mounts wore out and the engine was rocking like hell and hitting things.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Yup agree it could be a broken engine mount...
Old 03-25-2011, 04:29 AM

Thanks guys! My hubby and I were leaning towards the same thing last night, but he had me post on here to get a couple more opinions. I actually remember him saying something last june when we were on vacation like it sounding like a mount going bad. I'm just getting a little paranoid about my car lately. It's been one thing after another here lately....

Do any of you guys have any idea of the cost of the part? My hubby can do it, so I won't have labor involved, and I'll probably go through GM. Also how many are there, and is it like my injectors were....Should we just go ahead and replace all of them while we're in there?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil424
Sounds like a bad motor mount. Have someone look at the engine under the hood and rev the engine, and go through the gears and see if the motor moves, and if it does identify which mount it is and there you go. Not a big deal, but it does bother some people, which here it does indeed bother you. Nothing bad can happen unless all the mounts wore out and the engine was rocking like hell and hitting things.
Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Yup agree it could be a broken engine mount...
This is what I think it is as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:41 AM
Banned

iv seen mounts go pretty cheap on here stock that is
Old 03-25-2011, 04:47 AM

it looks like the engine mounts are about 65 bucks off of gmpartsdirect.com and if its the trans mount its like 40 bucks.

someone else will have to chime in on this but if the 2.2 mounts are the same as the 2.0 mounts (which i think they are?) there will be lots of used ones for sale on here as people tend to upgrade them.

also dont take it to a dealership. they are very easy to replace and we have several "how to's" in our how to thread.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Thanks guys! I think were gonna wait a couple of months to do them. It's not really a huge deal, more annoying than anything else. I was just wigging out because I was afraid it was something else that I had to fix right away.

Have any of you ordered from gmpartsdirect? I've seen both good and bad things about them, but their prices seem pretty decent.