Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Slight Engine Sound and Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight Engine Sound and Suspension Noise

Ok, I know the suspension noise issue has eben covered in the past, but just making one post instead of two. My car is a 2006 with the G85 Package SS/SC

I have 26500 miles on it and starting at about 25k miles I have been having this nagging suspension noise that only seems to show itself at slow speeds. For example if I hit a speed bump quickly, no noise, but if I approach it slow and at the crest kind of let the car drop off the back side I get a sound that sound similar to the gray plastic thing hanging under the car dragging, but not quite, a little bit more intense.

I guess the best description would be something rubbing on the ground, but I look under the car and see nothng hanging that low.

Second problem, when I am sitting in my car after I first start it I get a slight tapping sound which when I brought it to the local dealership a while back said that it was just the engines noise because oil hadn't fully circulated into the head yet. Makes sense. Anyone have any info to contradict this?

Third after driving the car and sitting in it with the radio off I get what sounds like a higher pitched rubbing sound, like two none lubricated metal components rubbing on one another. It is quite faint, even with my head under the hood but the best way i could describe it would be if you took two metal blocks and rubbed them against one another very quickly. Also, any thoughts?

I need to bring it by the dealership on monday cause I'm going to be do for service at 27k, so I should get some answers by monday evening, just seeing if anyone has any suggestions for me to tell them what to potentially look for.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:57 PM

well, update for anyone who has been reading this, just got a call from the service guys and I have a problem with my steering column and apparantly there is a TSB out on it, so I get a new one for free, should be in in a couple days
Old 03-31-2008, 03:19 PM

very nice.
and no info to contradict it.
next time youre in your car letting it warm up and you think you hear the noise, try putting it in different gears, and see if the noise persists. also if after driving your car and the oil is up to temp and you dont hear the noise, i really wouldnt worry about it.
its good that you listen that closely to your car, as itll prob save some trouble but try not to make more than you need to. a lot of cars just have little hums and ticks that youve just gotta get used to.
glad you got the steering column figured out!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 AM

i wonder what TSB it was, i dont remember hearing anything about that one