Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Sooo annoying CEL!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sooo annoying CEL!

okay so heres the deal, recently my car has been running fine not a problem but for one thing. my CEL has been coming on..i filled up at exxon the other day and the car started up but turning it off the motor would stay running for about 2-3 seconds and shake and stall, after it started doing that i drove around doing things i needed too and my CEL came on took it to advanced and they said that it was telling me Fuel Trim System Lean or somthing along the lines of that or it was somthing bank running lean i dont know how the OBDII said it. they deleted the code. it came back not 5 minutes later. Filled up at shell thinking maybe its a bad batch of gas. CEL turned offf( finnaly by now im like alright no worries). Needed gas got shell again, Drove around no CEL. Going to a buddies house leaving mine i revved up my engine to abot 5k just screwing around with my buddy and his g.f and everything was fine.. Got down my road and noticed the CEL was back on and i know its the code it gave me last time i took it to advanced it gave me that code 3 times in a row b.c i sat at advanced to seee if it comes back on..

any ideas on what it is??? i need help to get rid of this!? its annoying the **** out of me..im sorry my little prb is all un punctuated and crappy grammer im tired and just wanna get this out. i need help please throw me ideas of what u guys might think it is.. if u guys need more info to come to a conclution please tell me ill answer your questions obviusly =p
Old 07-08-2009, 01:13 AM

make sure your gas cap is on tight and not cracked, check your intake is sealed good, clean your MAF and make sure it is screwed into your intake good. If you are throwing a lean code it usually means you are getting unmeatered air in your system post MAF. I had this CEL and it never came back after i put my Injen CAI on. There should be a sticky posted somewhere about a p0171 code or something i believe this is the lean code.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:02 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
your fuel trims are fucked up.

clean the maf
replace front 02 sensor
Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you got some bad gas(to much ethenol or water in it,there tank could have been near the bottom and the gas had a lot of condensation in it) .
Try putting in a bottle of gas line antifreeze or fuel conditioner and see if that helps.

All you did was get gas and then the problem started with the cel. I would think because the gas you got isnt giving the readings its suppose to ,thus the lean code for the trim tables
Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by CleverOne
make sure your gas cap is on tight and not cracked, check your intake is sealed good, clean your MAF and make sure it is screwed into your intake good. If you are throwing a lean code it usually means you are getting unmeatered air in your system post MAF. I had this CEL and it never came back after i put my Injen CAI on. There should be a sticky posted somewhere about a p0171 code or something i believe this is the lean code.
I just put a new K&N filter on my injen intake took off the entire intake pipe and cleand the MAF and all, And i twist my gas cap like a million times when its clicking and it dont go away.

your fuel trims are fucked up.

clean the maf
replace front 02 sensor
Cleaned it and ill look at my o2 sensor and see if i need a new one.

I think you got some bad gas(to much ethenol or water in it,there tank could have been near the bottom and the gas had a lot of condensation in it) .
Try putting in a bottle of gas line antifreeze or fuel conditioner and see if that helps.

All you did was get gas and then the problem started with the cel. I would think because the gas you got isnt giving the readings its suppose to ,thus the lean code for the trim tables
I think i did too. I filled up at exxon and bp and the cel came on that day. i filled up at Shell and it whent off i even threw some Prestone synthetic octane booster. and after that it whent off. The other night when this problem started i filled up at bp (there was no check engine) and drove around for a bit and finnaly the check engine came on. filled up at shell yesterday still with the CEL on i put a can of sea foam in too to clean w.e out and the check engine turned off. drove around with no problem no CEL that day. Come home car sits for about 30 min get back in turn it on, no problems rev the motor to about 5000RPM playing around with my buddy and his g.f. look down and the CEL is on. WTF!!!

Sorry that was so long im just telling u guys this in detail..lol cuz ive done that all and it gos off comes back on its annoying.

NOTE: I read in the owners manual that a CEL could be triggerd by the cars tires. It said somthing about emissions with the car and the tires are making the car run unefficently could my tires be the reson why the cel is on? there 215/45/18 but ther like slicks now im getting new ones soon
Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 AM

bump
Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
hey, lack of search guy. read this.

YOUR CEL IS CAUSED BY THE FUEL TRIMS. change the front o2 sensor and clean the maf.

if you really think your tires will cause a cel of this nature. kick yourself in the nuts.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 PM

haha tires causing the cel.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Fail Less.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
N00B, listen to Area47...
Old 07-10-2009, 02:48 AM

Okay, I did search and i found nothing. i know its not the tires, I read that in the manual cuz i was bored.. i think i found the problem anyway..i need a new evap celinoide perge valve or what ever its called its all fucked up some how and maybe that will get rid of it..if not then ill change the 02 sensor even though there fine and i even took it to a shop and got it looked at with the obd 2 scanner(a good one made by snap on the computer cost 6k tells u everything) ill do what u said though area47 after i change what i need