Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Spark plug blown from #2 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark plug blown from #2 cylinder

After having the cat replaced last week on my 2006 SC/SS I experienced another big problem. This car was bought new and only has 38K on it. While accelerating slowly from a stop I heard a loud bang followed a loud FLOP, FLOP, FLOP noise which sounded like I was driving on a flat tire, except the noise was coming from under the hood. Pulled over and had it towed to the dealer. The service manager called later and told me #2 plug had disintegrated and had been blown out of the head. #2 ignition coil was blown apart and the valve cover gasket was damaged. The other plugs were all seized in the head. He then told me since the plugs were not GM but aftermarket that may void my extended warranty. I explained that I bought the car new from this dealership and have not replaced the plugs. Which is true, the only thing done to the car was a Stage2 kit(which the dealership installed), a CAI and a Hurst shifter. I spoke with the service manager and they agreed to cover the repair. The dealership installed a new head, all new valves, 1 ignition coil, 4 new plugs plus an oil change. They told me they did not find the bottom half of the spark plug that formerly occupied cylinder #2...... *gulp* The car ran fine before this happened, no missing or any other symptoms. Any ideas what could have caused this? The service manager appeared to be technically challenged and said it was probably due to the "aftermarket" plugs not being installed correctly. Frickin tool.

What I'd really like to know if anyone has ever heard of non GM plugs being installed from the factory? Since they never showed me any of the plugs in question I don't know if they were blowing smoke up my ass or not. But the car is fixed and it only cost me my $100 deductible. I'm now thinking of getting rid of it....
Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSmacky
After having the cat replaced last week on my 2006 SC/SS I experienced another big problem. This car was bought new and only has 38K on it. While accelerating slowly from a stop I heard a loud bang followed a loud FLOP, FLOP, FLOP noise which sounded like I was driving on a flat tire, except the noise was coming from under the hood. Pulled over and had it towed to the dealer. The service manager called later and told me #2 plug had disintegrated and had been blown out of the head. #2 ignition coil was blown apart and the valve cover gasket was damaged. The other plugs were all seized in the head. He then told me since the plugs were not GM but aftermarket that may void my extended warranty. I explained that I bought the car new from this dealership and have not replaced the plugs. Which is true, the only thing done to the car was a Stage2 kit(which the dealership installed), a CAI and a Hurst shifter. I spoke with the service manager and they agreed to cover the repair. The dealership installed a new head, all new valves, 1 ignition coil, 4 new plugs plus an oil change. They told me they did not find the bottom half of the spark plug that formerly occupied cylinder #2...... *gulp* The car ran fine before this happened, no missing or any other symptoms. Any ideas what could have caused this? The service manager appeared to be technically challenged and said it was probably due to the "aftermarket" plugs not being installed correctly. Frickin tool.

What I'd really like to know if anyone has ever heard of non GM plugs being installed from the factory? Since they never showed me any of the plugs in question I don't know if they were blowing smoke up my ass or not. But the car is fixed and it only cost me my $100 deductible. I'm now thinking of getting rid of it....
So what kind of plugs were in it??

Sure sounds like someone (you, a friend, a shop) installed aftermarket plugs and didn't torque them into the head properly, causing one of them to blow out. Plugs don't just blow out at random, something has to cause it. Typically its improper installation.

You say you bought the car new and haven't touched it, but then why did the dealer say they were aftermarket plugs??
Old 04-07-2010, 11:18 PM

I am the original owner and different plugs were never installed. That's why I was asking if anyone else has come across their car having non GM plugs from the factory. The dealership did not show me the plugs they claim were in it. I do recall the service rep mentioning the plugs as being NGK-R or something to that effect. *shrugs*
Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 AM

im gonna go out on a limb and say the dealership is retarded. those plugs (ngk) are factory.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 AM

Kapster, thanks for the info. So NGK's are installed from the factory? WTF, you'd think they would know that.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
X2 - NGK are the factory plug.

That being said, the 2006 Cobalt had a 60 month/60K mile powertrain warranty so the repairs should have been covered under that warranty. You should not have paid a deductible. I would march up there and demand your deductible back. If they don't give it to you then tell them you are calling GM corporate to tell them that they charged you a deductible for repairs done under the powertrain warranty. If they still won't give you your money back then call GM corportate and tell them what happened and see if they will get you your money back. If you still have trouble then you can take the dealership to small claims court to get your deductible back. Don't let the dealership dick you around because THEY don't know what they are doing.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:25 PM

rnjmur,
Thanks for confirming the spark plug question. And a very big thank you for the power train warranty info, I was under the impression my car only had a 3yr/36K warranty. I just looked up the warranty info and you are absolutely correct, the power train warranty is 5yr/60K. I left the service manager a voice mail and will be stopping by there on the way home from work. I'll definitely owe you a beer or three....... thanks!

Got a voice mail from service mgr..... The engine work was covered under the power train warranty. When I dropped off the car I told the service writer my key fob quit working. He said no problem, they would take care of it. The mgr said the $100 deductible was for fixing the key fob. *******. I had a working fob and wouldn't have spent $100 for a spare. I will be paying them a visit, no more phone calls. I can't wait to fill out the GM survey for these schmucks.

Last edited by SSmacky; 04-08-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by SSmacky
rnjmur,
Thanks for confirming the spark plug question. And a very big thank you for the power train warranty info, I was under the impression my car only had a 3yr/36K warranty. I just looked up the warranty info and you are absolutely correct, the power train warranty is 5yr/60K. I left the service manager a voice mail and will be stopping by there on the way home from work. I'll definitely owe you a beer or three....... thanks!

Got a voice mail from service mgr..... The engine work was covered under the power train warranty. When I dropped off the car I told the service writer my key fob quit working. He said no problem, they would take care of it. The mgr said the $100 deductible was for fixing the key fob. *******. I had a working fob and wouldn't have spent $100 for a spare. I will be paying them a visit, no more phone calls. I can't wait to fill out the GM survey for these schmucks.
Which dealer was this?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:37 PM

Elco Cheverolet.....
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM

iv heard of this happening before, about the car having "non factory plugs" it was about a year ago on here not sure if it was ever resolved
Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Several members have replied that NKG's are the factory plugs. Having never changed mine I didn't know, I would have guessed AC Delco's.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:05 PM

I swapped my plugs @ 52k miles. It was running like a plug issue. Needless to say, plugs 2 & 3 were loose. These were factory plugs. I was the first person to change them out. WTF GM!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 PM

My cylinder #2 plug also blew out. Happened 2 days ago, I was just driving normal when all of a sudden it sounded like my exhaust fell off. All that I have done to it is an Injen CAI, it's an 2005 Cobalt SS/SC, approximately 74000K. Never driven in the winter.

When I called they just finished looking at it, never really had much to say besides that I simply blew a plug in #2. I found it curious when I googled "Cobalt SS spark plug blow" and the first thing I find is a css forum on how someone elses #2 blew..... possible factory error? There would probably be more instances of this if that were true though.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 PM

Could be a issue with bad threads in the head,and if theres 2 you know of there is probably 100s.
If in the process of making the heads a tap went bad(gulling up with aluminum due to lack of lubricant during the tapping process it would remove half the threads on the way back out.
There would be enough threads to torque the plug in properly but the overall strenght would be bare minimum.
Also by this happening on cyl 2 I would suspect that was the one.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:41 AM

I had the same thing happen on 10/27/11. Just driving on the highway and it blew.
I have a 2007 Cobalt SS/SC with 77,000 miles on it. I still have the original factory spark plugs in it and they have Never Been Messed with.
I took it to the Dealer and they told me what happened. They are replacing the entire cylinder head under Warranty. I'm dealing with Jim Butler Chevy in Fenton, MO. So Far, So Good.
Sounds like this may be starting a wave of bad as far the plugs blowing out now.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by PikerAA
My cylinder #2 plug also blew out. Happened 2 days ago, I was just driving normal when all of a sudden it sounded like my exhaust fell off. All that I have done to it is an Injen CAI, it's an 2005 Cobalt SS/SC, approximately 74000K. Never driven in the winter.

When I called they just finished looking at it, never really had much to say besides that I simply blew a plug in #2. I found it curious when I googled "Cobalt SS spark plug blow" and the first thing I find is a css forum on how someone elses #2 blew..... possible factory error? There would probably be more instances of this if that were true though.

I'll keep you posted.

My #2 spark plug just blew on Monday.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Look at the date on the posts lol from 5 years ago dude
Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 AM

yea is there a problem with that?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator