Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Squeaking at idle. Bad turbo? Pic

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Squeaking at idle. Bad turbo? Pic

So I developed this squeak @ idle @ around 1k rpm. Went through diagnostics and came to the conclusion that sound is coming from my turbo. Removed intake tube and felt for shaft play. Not really sure on the allowed tolerances but this thing had a slight click in it, in the up and down motion. In the pic it looks like there is a shiny spot on the upper right side of turbo where compressor wheel may be touching. Is this enough to convince you of a bad turbo?

Name:  6b336bd4.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  98.6 KB

Name:  dc5fe0db.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  77.8 KB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CUAl...e_gdata_player

Last edited by LNFwagonSS; 08-04-2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Add vid
Old 08-04-2012, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you want to measure the tolerances you will need a bench vice and a metric dial gauge with an articulated extension attached to a magnetic support. Take the turbo, secure it via housing or flange in the vice, attach dial gauge device somewhere on the vice, and put the tip of the needle onto the compressor or turbine wheel edge. Now turn the shaft. If the is more than 0.05mm play while the shaft is turning sitting on the bearing the shaft is bent.
If shaft is straight, wiggel the rotor side to side not rotating so you can get a reading on the play between bearing and shaft(radial endplay). more than 0.05mm there is something funny with your bearings or the diameter of the shaft.

personally with the rubbing, I'm inclinded to think that it's a bent shaft. I can't judge based on the photos but if the wear is really bad and it's really digging into that housing.. think where the shavings would be going...

Last edited by tuner923; 08-04-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 AM

I have noticed a small # of tiny shavings that can only be seen in brighter light inside intake tube. The squeaking just started less than week ago. I think it's faulty bearings. There is definatly more than .05Mm play there. Only squeaks when compressor becomes heat soaked.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:58 AM

I don't find our turbos to be the most reliable. Mine makes a clicking sound if i spool before reaching operating temp. a buddy of mine, his would ring like a tuning fork when spooling. but if your rubbed area is in one spot and not completely around it's a ever so slight bend in the shaft.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:16 AM

Ya this turbo started making a whining sound( like a sc does) @ 14psi and up prior to the squeaking/rubbing issue it has now.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:47 AM

i've heard boost leaks at couplers make whine noises that sound similar to sc whine but never the turbo itself.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:54 AM

I have heard of this as well so I installed new coupler from turbo to upper cp and then did boost leak test with soapy water. Did not find a single leak. Will see if whining goes away with new turbo.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:25 AM

how did you do a boost leak test with soapy water? what i mean is how did you manage to build boost?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:42 AM

Filled system with air with air compressor.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:53 PM

Added video to OP
Old 08-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
sounds like a bad bearing
Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you do your oil changes do you disable the ignition and crank the engine over to get oil to the turbo before starting the car? if that turbo runs dry for a split second it can do a lot of damage.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:18 PM

No I have never done that. This is the first time Ive heard bout that..hmmm....wonder if it's in the owners manual
Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kzak104
when you do your oil changes do you disable the ignition and crank the engine over to get oil to the turbo before starting the car? if that turbo runs dry for a split second it can do a lot of damage.
what the hell? I've never done that and I haven't screwed my turbo up.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:45 PM

its not like if you dont do it onces its going to screw it up, its just a precaution. my instructor in school suggested you always do it with a turbod car.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

its not like if you dont do it onces its going to screw it up, its just a precaution. my instructor in school suggested you always do it with a turbod car.
interesting, I didn't know that. The logic is sound. Just weird is all.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 PM

Thats a bullshit statement buddy. So you mean to tell me that every time I go start my car after it sits for awhile, I have to prime my turbo?? Just because you do an oil change, doesnt mean that you're draining all the oil out of the turbo. All you're doing is draining the oil out of the pan. Ive owned countless turbo cars and I never prime the turbo after an oil change. The only time you would need to prime a turbo is if it is brand new and never ran before. And to do this you would start the car while holding the compressor housing nut with your fingers so the turbo doesnt spin, being careful not to lose a finger. Disabling the ignition would just make your car not start. You will still get a little compression causing the turbo to spin when it exits through the exhaust. Tell your teacher he is dumb, cause I never heard of priming a turbo after every oil change.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Boneride
Thats a bullshit statement buddy. So you mean to tell me that every time I go start my car after it sits for awhile, I have to prime my turbo?? Just because you do an oil change, doesnt mean that you're draining all the oil out of the turbo. All you're doing is draining the oil out of the pan. Ive owned countless turbo cars and I never prime the turbo after an oil change. The only time you would need to prime a turbo is if it is brand new and never ran before. And to do this you would start the car while holding the compressor housing nut with your fingers so the turbo doesnt spin, being careful not to lose a finger. Disabling the ignition would just make your car not start. You will still get a little compression causing the turbo to spin when it exits through the exhaust. Tell your teacher he is dumb, cause I never heard of priming a turbo after every oil change.
damn calm down lol
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 PM

Although you are correct, no need to get hostile haha
Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Thread Killer
Platinum Member

RWARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRr lol
Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 PM

LOL. Im not getting hostile. Just wanted to clear that up. Sorry if I came across like that. My bad.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 AM

why would it need priming at all? assembly lube... ahem. cough cough.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 AM

wow, lol, im just repeating what my instructor said.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:43 AM

wow, lol, im just repeating what my instructor said.
so, you're saying you're a parrot? ... just think, why is he teaching and not actually working......
Old 08-09-2012, 03:23 AM

Well, this car has only~ 9k miles on it. So I'm thinking it was not right from day one.

Quick Reply: Squeaking at idle. Bad turbo? Pic