Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting problem

its not the balt thats having the issue, but i bought a 1994 mercury topaz a couple years back for an extra car for the fiance. yea i know a topaz haha i got it for cheap and it was in decent condition and used to run like a champ. here is how the problem started: one day went out to start it and it wouldnt start so i thought the battery was dead (but the battery is a couple months old) but i didnt jump it then i came back to it later to go to jump it and it started right up with out a jump??? the next couple times it would start right up. then it started not wanting to start again but i would let it sit 10-20 min and it would fire right up. so i replaced the starter but still had the same issues. then one day it wouldnt start and hasnt started since. i then replaced the ignition switch but that didnt work either. the car has just been sitting there since july or so and i would like to get it running to sell it. anyone have any ideas what it might be?? something electrical maybe im outta ideas
Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hahahaha My sister used to own a 92 Topez. I think it was anyway. Nice lil car. Since it's been sitting for a while maybe engine seized up?
I didn't see anything about you messing / checking the starter relay. You could try that.
Does the engine rotate?

My sister's had a hard time starting for a while, (Engine would rotate) you had to hold the gas while it was starting to get it running sometimes. Checked compression, Cylinder 3 was way low, took it to the shop, guy took the head off. It ended up being a cracked head near the exhaust valves. Yes more then one crack. I think she overheated it a couple times.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM

have you checked all starter connections, for good clean connections.
Does the car even attemp to start or do you just get a click when you turn the ignition
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by insylem
Hahahaha My sister used to own a 92 Topez. I think it was anyway. Nice lil car. Since it's been sitting for a while maybe engine seized up?
I didn't see anything about you messing / checking the starter relay. You could try that.
Does the engine rotate?

My sister's had a hard time starting for a while, (Engine would rotate) you had to hold the gas while it was starting to get it running sometimes. Checked compression, Cylinder 3 was way low, took it to the shop, guy took the head off. It ended up being a cracked head near the exhaust valves. Yes more then one crack. I think she overheated it a couple times.
i also replaced the starter relay.

Originally Posted by 09slowbaltSS
have you checked all starter connections, for good clean connections.
Does the car even attemp to start or do you just get a click when you turn the ignition
it does crank and attempts to start.

Last edited by Whtbolttc09; 01-06-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-06-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by insylem

Try a compression check.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 PM

do those cars have any type of anti-theft? also ive heard of fords having an issue with the fuel inertia switch. Do you have spark/fuel?