Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

steering colum noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 PM
p7x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats fucted.....I can see if the sportlines cause something but if its some gear or a CV joint I dont think springs would affect it that much, but i could be wrong
Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 PM

I think it would be just the same with them on, but once GM finds the problem I do not want to have to pay for it.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:52 PM

I would keep taking the car back to the dealer until they find a repair. Keep every invoice you get from them so you will have a paper trail for your problem and GM will make it right eventually. This problem has been around for about 5 years now with various GM vehicles they are getting positive results with a new intermediate shaft from a new supplier. Try to be patient, I know it is an annoying noise. The latest update was in Feb. It is as follows:

Document ID# 1897103
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Steering Column Rattle or Knocking Noise at Low Speeds (Diagnosis and Replace Steering Column, If Necessary) #07-02-35-004 - (02/02/2007)

Models: 2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2007 Chevrolet HHR

2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2007 Pontiac G5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on a rattle or knocking noise that is heard in the front of the vehicle while driving at low speeds (5-15 mph or 8-24 km/h). This condition may be more noticeable while making a slow turn, or on a loose/rough surface.

This condition can be duplicated by the technician using the following procedure:

On a rough or loose surface (i.e., gravel parking lot), make a sweeping turn (either direction) at 5-15 mph (8-24 km/h) to load the steering column, I-shaft and steering rack/gear mechanisms (The testing on a rough or loose surface will allow the wheels to oscillate slightly and will make the rattle/knocking noise more evident and repeatable).
Release the steering wheel, while making the turn, to take load off of steering components. This should initiate the rattle/shudder noise, which is generated by backlash in the steering assembly as it is in a no load float condition.

Remove the 60 amp EPS fuse (1) in the underhood fuse block.
Test the vehicle as in Step 1. Since the EPS motor is no longer powered, only the I-shaft and steering gear/rack will be loaded as you make the turn. If you hear the rattle/knocking noise during the turn, then the noise is being generated by the backlash within the steering column (assist motor gear mechanism).
Replace the 60 amp EPS fuse and repeat Steps 1 & 2 to verify that the rattle/knocking noise disappears when turning (loading steering mechanism) and can only be heard when releasing the steering wheel.
Correction
If the steering column is identified as the source of the rattle/knocking noise in the above test, then replace the steering column.

Important: The noise in the steering column is generated from the metal to plastic gear backlash of the assist motor mechanism and will have a different sound than that from the steering gear. If the customer comments that they still hear a noise, it may be a different sound from either the I-shaft or the steering rack.

If the steering column is not identified as the source of the rattle/knocking in the above test, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 05-02-32-005C.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Kit, Steering Column (Cobalt, G5, Pursuit)

Hope this helps someone here.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:08 PM
p7x

^^^^ just got back from the dealer and they said they have to replace the steering column. At first they thought intermediate shaft and they he use a stethascope and said it was the column
Old 04-10-2007, 11:33 PM

My Pursuit started to make that noise at about 2,000Km and after 1 and a half year later, everytime I stop at my dealer for something, they tell me that there is no solution for this problem at this time...

I really don't want to live with that and finally, after years, will be time to change the car and the problem will still be there so I would say to me that I paid every month for that thing...

Got multiple problems with my car (A/C Heat fan making terrible noise, key won't come out of the ignition, radio lock, suspension make terrible noise at temperature below -0c, warped rotors turned 1 time but warped again and I drive very carefully)

The only problem that got repaired is the radio lock, for the key that won't come out they changed something but it do it again...

Was with a Lincoln 1992, no problem at all, now I think why I don't bought a newer one, they are a bargain for what it is! Not like the pursuit/cobalt...
Old 04-22-2007, 04:48 PM

what will a dealer charge for replacing the steering column? I have a 2005 cobalt LT with 37500 miles on it . I found this problem by having my daughter sitting in the drivers seat, no keys in it , and slightly moving the steering wheel back and forth. I felt the loosenes,I thought, in the universal joint,from the steering column .Is this what everyone is talking about on this issue.?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:45 PM

my clunk is back had steering colume, shaft, gear, strut done i guess its the rack Corporate Bulletin Number 05-02-32-005C.

Originally Posted by fastchevy4u
I would keep taking the car back to the dealer until they find a repair. Keep every invoice you get from them so you will have a paper trail for your problem and GM will make it right eventually. This problem has been around for about 5 years now with various GM vehicles they are getting positive results with a new intermediate shaft from a new supplier. Try to be patient, I know it is an annoying noise. The latest update was in Feb. It is as follows:

Document ID# 1897103
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

Subject: Steering Column Rattle or Knocking Noise at Low Speeds (Diagnosis and Replace Steering Column, If Necessary) #07-02-35-004 - (02/02/2007)

2006-2007 Chevrolet HHR

2007 Pontiac G5

Condition
Some customers may comment on a rattle or knocking noise that is heard in the front of the vehicle while driving at low speeds (5-15 mph or 8-24 km/h). This condition may be more noticeable while making a slow turn, or on a loose/rough surface.

This condition can be duplicated by the technician using the following procedure:

On a rough or loose surface (i.e., gravel parking lot), make a sweeping turn (either direction) at 5-15 mph (8-24 km/h) to load the steering column, I-shaft and steering rack/gear mechanisms (The testing on a rough or loose surface will allow the wheels to oscillate slightly and will make the rattle/knocking noise more evident and repeatable).
Release the steering wheel, while making the turn, to take load off of steering components. This should initiate the rattle/shudder noise, which is generated by backlash in the steering assembly as it is in a no load float condition.

Test the vehicle as in Step 1. Since the EPS motor is no longer powered, only the I-shaft and steering gear/rack will be loaded as you make the turn. If you hear the rattle/knocking noise during the turn, then the noise is being generated by the backlash within the steering column (assist motor gear mechanism).
Replace the 60 amp EPS fuse and repeat Steps 1 & 2 to verify that the rattle/knocking noise disappears when turning (loading steering mechanism) and can only be heard when releasing the steering wheel.
Correction
If the steering column is identified as the source of the rattle/knocking noise in the above test, then replace the steering column.

Important: The noise in the steering column is generated from the metal to plastic gear backlash of the assist motor mechanism and will have a different sound than that from the steering gear. If the customer comments that they still hear a noise, it may be a different sound from either the I-shaft or the steering rack.

If the steering column is not identified as the source of the rattle/knocking in the above test, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 05-02-32-005C.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

whats this bulletin Corporate Bulletin Number 05-02-32-005C.

Last edited by zzzzzzzz; 04-22-2007 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-24-2007, 10:24 AM

Corporate Bulletin Number 05-02-32-005 can some one look this up for me
Old 04-25-2007, 02:56 AM

lol

now they are puting in a steering gear for the imfamous steering clunk not only that but they tell me i have to have a bearing put in for a growling noise
Old 05-05-2007, 03:18 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by fastchevy4u

Document ID# 1897103
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2007 Chevrolet HHR

2007 Pontiac G5

Condition

Correction

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

ok now they are going to put in a second column whit different part #

gm!!!!!!!!! fix my car

Last edited by zzzzzzzz; 05-05-2007 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-05-2007, 03:25 AM

hey guys, getting my steering colum replaced on wednesday!!i'll let you know if it helps
Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jesse_Chouinard
hey guys, getting my steering colum replaced on wednesday!!i'll let you know if it helps
update please
Old 05-12-2007, 10:41 AM

bump
Old 05-12-2007, 11:56 AM

i will have an update on this imfamous clunk proplem sometime next week as they are going to put in a second column............... if this doesnt work i will drive car into chevys showroom floor lol lol lol somebody shoooooootttt me
Old 05-14-2007, 06:49 PM

Same problem here. They changed so far: axle shaft, steering rack and links. Today I changed the dealer . I left the car all day with them, but they said they couldn't figure it out and to bring it back tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:05 PM
p7x

been in 2 times for this and the changed the steering coloumn and than said they dont know what it is
Old 05-14-2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by zzzzzzzz
update please
Hey guys sorry about the wait!!! I didn't notice any difference since they changed the steering colum!!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:20 PM

I got my car back today and they fixed it right! No clunk noise whatsoever! They just changed the axle shaft again. So, aparently, that thing goes bad after a while...It's gonna be fun after the warranty
Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 AM

i looked it up today and the bulliten says DO NOT REPLACE THE STEERING COLUM, in big bold letters , the intermediate shaft is not greased properly. ask the dealers to look for a bullitin about the inter shaft .i can remember the bulliten date or number
Old 05-16-2007, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by cobi_ss
i looked it up today and the bulliten says DO NOT REPLACE THE STEERING COLUM, in big bold letters , the intermediate shaft is not greased properly. ask the dealers to look for a bullitin about the inter shaft .i can remember the bulliten date or number
lol been there done that!!!!!! gm knows there a problem my service tech told me this.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:55 PM

I got it greased aswell. Nothing. Soi they changed my steering columb last week. Problem fixed. YAY
Old 05-26-2007, 06:23 PM

i took my car in today and described the issue. The service manager came out and told me its a problem with cobalts and HHRs and that it is indeed a design issue with the part. He described the rattle exactly as it is, he ordered me the steering column, it should be in next week.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:28 AM

2nd steering column

2nd steering column

ok, they put in another column and it seems alot better, ill only here and feel the clunk, rattle and roll when i hit very bad road
Old 06-04-2007, 03:35 PM

So i brought mine in today, they changed the intermediate shaft for the steering. I pick it up later, lets see if that fixed the issue..
Old 06-05-2007, 04:13 PM

picked up mine today.. steering column replaced problem is gone steering response is alot quicker too now.. does anyone know if they redesigned the part?

Quick Reply: steering colum noise