Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

steering wheel shakes under heavy braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering wheel shakes under heavy braking

i have a 07 ss/sc and i have 10,000 miles on it. now when im under heavy braking my wheel shakes left and right. under normal braking its fine.

also my car seems to pull left a little. now i dont think i need an alignment due to me having so little miles, also because it was fine when i first got it.

is there anyhting where they have to replace them under a certian time period? what could this be?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 PM

Have you recently rotated your tires? This might be why you pull a little bit. Also, you are probably shaking under braking because the rotors have warped.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

97 ss/sc huh? But i digress, your rotors are warped, may be machinible or may need replacement if runout is too great. probably not a warranty item
Old 09-18-2007, 05:50 PM

Sounds like a warped rotor. Take it in and have the dealer look at it it is still under warranty. I hope you mean an 07?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:51 PM

warped rotors, i think gm is aware that they warp, so they should fix it under warranty
Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM

They made the SS/Sc in 97. Thats new to me. The wheel shaking under heavy braking could be your ABS kicking in which might vibrate the wheel.

I would say an alignment would fix the pull. All it takes is a pot hole or rough roads to screw it up.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:57 PM

lol ops... yes an 07 not a 97..

ill have to check with the dealer. i heard that you can upgrade to the gmpp drilled or slotted ones because they warp before warrenty? true? false?

ill also get a rotation, unless someone knows the directions for our cars
Old 09-18-2007, 05:59 PM

Make sure wheels are balanced as well - many people blame rotors and alignment when it's a simple balancing issue.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:25 PM

does the car pull only under braking or all the time? if it's all the time then it's an alignment issue. if it's only under braking then you have a problem with either a caliper sticking or your passenger side brake line.

whatever the case is your car only has 10k on it. take it to the dealer. if they won't fix it then contact gm and they'll work it out for you.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Novajoe
does the car pull only under braking or all the time? if it's all the time then it's an alignment issue. if it's only under braking then you have a problem with either a caliper sticking or your passenger side brake line.

whatever the case is your car only has 10k on it. take it to the dealer. if they won't fix it then contact gm and they'll work it out for you.
more likely a tire issue, just rotate it across and drive it, if it still pulls, then you know it is due to allighnment, more than likely, it will change sides or go away and will point at a tire issue, just rotate the bad one to the back, and you should be okay.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:06 PM

I get the same thing. Brakes work normal in regular traffic, but when making any sort of emergency stop, such as on a highway, the steering wheel shudders left to right.

Should be known that the car has had rotor problems since day one. Since then, all the dealership has agreed to do is turn the rotors each time. And each time they've done it, the problem returns even quicker. And rightfully so, if the rotors are bunk, making them thinner is only going to amplify the problem.

But seeings that I just hit 20,000kms, I doubt the dealership will pay to replace them. They'll just play the "normal wear" card, and tell me I need to buy a new set of GM rotors. However, they can kiss my ****, I won't be spending a dime on their soft metalled, sorry excuse for rotors. I'll be going aftermarket all the way.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:09 PM

man *** the dealer, they made me pay for new rotors, i hate my dealer so much... it makes me sick to my stocmach when i think of them and how they will do absolutly anything for $$, including charging you for **** u dont need and charging you for **** that they dont even do 2 ur car. (i caught them charging me to clean my injectors after they had just put new ones on)
Old 09-30-2007, 05:11 PM

ive got the same problems, thanks for asking now i know why this happens
Old 09-30-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the pulsation is definetly do to our cars having too small of rotors and they warp very easily and quickly. gm will warranty this as it is a known fact but all they will do is turn the rotors and it will come back. now in regards to the car drifting left, mine does it as well and i've had 2 alignments done and i have 16,000km's on my car and it still does it so i've just given up on it for the time being, but the one thing i have found is the steering wheels get out of whack and aren't fully centered. and i work at a gm dealership in shop working on the cars.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by stripedHEMI766
97 ss/sc huh? But i digress, your rotors are warped, may be machinible or may need replacement if runout is too great. probably not a warranty item
they should replace under warranty beings the car is so new
Old 09-30-2007, 09:20 PM

The stock tires being low profile 45s are stiff and on a lot of road with slight rutting the tires actually ride on the edge to some degree causing the pull. the short width of our wheel base compared to regular cars makes it so that we can only drive with one wheel in the rut and the other on the side of the rut causing problems while driving,braking and accelerating because of this it will pull dramatically some times.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 AM

Warped rotors won't generally make your steering wheel shake left or right. Just cause brake pedal pulsations. Sounds more like a stuck caliper to me...
Old 10-09-2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
Warped rotors won't generally make your steering wheel shake left or right. Just cause brake pedal pulsations. Sounds more like a stuck caliper to me...
sure they will if your rotors aren't making full contact with your brake pads there will be shakes and vibrations in your steering wheel as well as in your brake pedal i work at a chevy dealership in the shop we see it all the time and getting the rotors turned helps for a while but in the end it comes back unless you go with differen't pads and rotors.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
sure they will if your rotors aren't making full contact with your brake pads there will be shakes and vibrations in your steering wheel as well as in your brake pedal i work at a chevy dealership in the shop we see it all the time and getting the rotors turned helps for a while but in the end it comes back unless you go with differen't pads and rotors.
The only way a rotor isn't going to make contact with the caliper is if the caliper is stuck or something else like an abs modulator that's not allowing the caliper to function properly. Otherwise there is usually constant pressure in the brake system making the calipers clamp togeather... just not much until you step on the brake pedal. If a rotor is warped then it's not going to affect the steering wheel as long as the caliper is functioning properly. That's cool that you work in a chevy dealership and all but I've been there too. I've got my ase's and such. My basement garage is probably better equipped then most private shops.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:16 AM

Warped rotos will shake the steering wheel. As the rotor rotates the pad pressure changes (pushing harder and less hard on the pad) and you get uneven braking on the rotor (not a constant pressure) and this difference on both sides causes brake biting more side to side during the rotation causing the wheel to shimmy back and forth. Notice how at a high speed with a certain brake pedal pressure the shimmy isn't as bad b/c it's so fast it's harder to tell but with the same pedal pressure at a lower speed it actually jerks on the steering wheel; this is b/c of the speed of the rotor.

I warped my rotors and had them turned; problem went away until one more HARD braking episode and there it was again.

All this aside, I remember reading a thread about this before and the rotors were replaced and upgraded to cross-drilled rotors for another member.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 AM

get rotors checked and wheels balanced. had the same problem. did this and it was all gone. gl
Old 10-15-2007, 02:05 AM

shaking wheels

I had the same problem,took it to the dealer and they turned the rotors twice, broke both my center caps ( they replaced for free) and third time I ordered some slotted rotors and lifetime pads from Autozone and have never had the problem since. From what I understand it is from cheap thin rotors and seems like the SS 2.4's have the most problems with them....
Old 10-15-2007, 11:04 AM

that wud b a warped rotor my friend..our rotors blow on our car. u really cant cut them..i wud just replace them with a better rotor.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:16 PM

OP- Do you have aftermarket wheels?!?!

I had the same problem once I put on my aftermarket wheels, turned out the two little rings per rotor that go around the wheel stud caused the wheels to rock back and forth, not noticeable unless braking hard.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:33 PM

that would be called brake pulsation... that is caused by either variable thickness in the rotors. have them turned

Quick Reply: steering wheel shakes under heavy braking