Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

stutter at 3-4k rpm???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stutter at 3-4k rpm???

not sure whats going on but the car sounds fine feels fine and can be driven normally, but if i want to get up and go no matter what gear im in i feel like i hit fuel cut between 3-4k rpm. so i thought maybe a sensor was acting funny so i disconnected my battery and its run beautifully for a few days and now its back to doing the same thing. it has also rained both days it happened. any ideas??? had a tune done over 5 months ago. this problem is recent as of this week

2006 cobalt ss/sc
ottp stage 2, 60lbs injectors, aem cai, and a tune.

thanks

Dave
Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 PM

I have experienced the same EXACT problem 1-3months ago acouple times. happend on real cold mornings, and i also noticed it was a little wet out. such as it rained during the night or its just misting. just so the humidity is up. Im sorry i have no advice for you because i am also clueless on whats going on lol. my car hasnt done it in awhile. My car is on the stock tune still. and during the time i was having these similar issues the only real mod i had was a injen CAI. im not sure if its the MAF sensor just got a lil dirty. or maybe the air mixture was too cold and moisted that it somehow messed up the combustion causing misfiring. cold air = more oxygen molecules at one time in the combustion camber. maybe not enough fuel during these oxygen rich conditions? idk. i also read something about our cars going into a limp mode. (might want to research that a bit) Some times i experience the fuel cut that lasts for half a second. not too often. but what i experienced was stuttering at 3-4.5k rmps. i had it happen in 2nd n 3rd. feels like it wants to stall. as soon as you drop rpms its fine. not sure exactly what is causing this similar problem but also would like to find out.

BUMP
BUMP
BUMP
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 AM

I have an 06 ss/sc and have been dealing with the same problem. Initially I thought it might've been a little water getting sucked through my intake so I bought injen's hydro shield hoping it would be a cheap fix. Drove it yesterday and it's still jerking/stuttering. I guess the next step is checking the MAF but I really have no idea what the problem is. If I figure it out I'll definitely post another reply.

Good luck.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

My buddys 05 ss/sc had this issue and this is what came out of the injector's and the fuel rail..... it ran fine till about 4500 then it would studder and fall on it's face

This is only about a 1/4 of what was in there ..... stuff like this doesn't get by the filter, something is rusting in the fuel system after the filter .... we just don't know what it is.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM

That's nasty looking haha, I'll be on spring break in the next week so hopefully i'll be able to finally figure out what's wrong
Old 03-08-2011, 01:22 PM

i had the same problem and its all fixed i had the fuel rail replaced cause it was clogged... and i noticed when it rained my exhaust got louder and couldnt hear the whine at all...turns out i had a hole in my fender well which was splashing water on the intake..so i got a new fender well and all is perfect hope this helps

Last edited by CobaltVenomSS; 03-08-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:42 PM

wow @ those pictures. when i installed me new injectors i made sure nothing was even remotely wrong with my rail. doesn't mean that is still the case. its a beautiful day out here and my car is magically running fine. for my scenario im gunna check the fender out and make sure my filter isnt getting wet. if that is still not the case im gunna go with checking the MAF and possibly chalking it up to being a really lean tune that IPS gave me. as sterner said i might not be getting enough fuel with the high concentration of O2 from it being cold and wet.

thanks for all the reply's and ideas!!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Im not sure if this is the root of the problem or just something completely different that happend to my car. you guys should check your car's main ground connection located under the driver's side headlight. I just had my starter replaced yesterday due to a bad ground connection, it got corrosion due to some moisture. it was receiving the 12V's and could not ground properly causing my starter to wear. i replaced my battery last nov thinking my battery was bad. when really it was my car's main ground connection. i bought a optinum yellow top and it fixed the issue momentally. but eventually due to the bad ground my battery started to drain over time. i also had my car stored away from dec to feb, for about 2months. so some corrosion might have built up. i noticed when i 1st started my car it would crank/click for a bit then start, it was because of the poor ground. Well eventually it craped out, and i was lucky my flywheel wasnt damaged from the starter.

Now im not 100% sure if this is the problem but maybe the ground acts up in moisted weather if it has some corrosion on it? not sure but just an suggestion to maybe help anyone out. All i know is when they fixed the ground and replaced the starter my car felt completely different. alot stronger with acceleration and such. powersteering worked alot better, pretty much all my electronics. I drove my car today and it was pouring all day, and i have had no issues with the sputtering/shuddering. but then again i havent experienced these issues since i replace my battery in nov. so maybe the bad ground caused some type of power surge in moisted weather? Not sure but its worth a shot. let me know if this helps anyone out.