Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Supercharger grinding, exhaust rattle & white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brett5
it really souinds like a bearing wearing away at your housing cuasing a slight leak in coolant...it will get worse

i have had loose hangers before and thats not the sound they make plus it echoes really lound in side the car if its hangers
Now im trying to be constructive, so let me shoot some ideas here.

If it was the engine it would ping and tap louder when he revved it. Its definitley exhaust hitting something and i dont hear an exhaust leak which rules out a loose bolt (unless the op can tell if there is a leak).

If he went ove a bump and knocked them out of whack it would cause the low rpm rattle im listening to. Its just so loose now. Notice its only in the lower rpm band when our car shakes the most.

hell it could be a popped motor mount for all i know.

Last edited by rrutter81; 08-18-2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 PM
MaJ

The sound from the exhaust on happens when the exhaust is cold. If i let the car idle for 5 minutes it gets gradually quieter until it just doesn't happen anymore.

Don't think it's an exhaust leak, in person it doesn't sound like a leak at all. Just a rattling. I'm thinking it's the cat, or the resonator maybe? Maybe the cat blew out, or is clogged... But then I should be getting a CEL for innefficiant cat. I'm not getting any CELs.

I haven't really tested this, cause I don't really want to leave the car running. But you can see in the video, after a few moments of me reving, the smoke seems to get thinner and thinner. I might go run the car for a few minutes and see if the smoke goes away after the rattling sound stops.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:39 PM

yea hes got a point

it could be one big problem or a bunch of little ones...i've had a melted cat and that never blew white smoke so thats why i don't think its the cat

Last edited by brett5; 08-18-2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Banned

if it was a clogged cat u would see 20+ lbs of boost. Or alot more than what you generally have. If it was a blown out cat it would be a lot louder. Im not there so i cant see what is going on, but it sounds from the video of physical rattling against the frame.

Either way, the exhaust needs to be fixed, i would monitor your coolant levels and oil for the next week. It looks like your not leaking enough coolant to blow something up yet.

Going to stock (unless you have the GM receipt of the stage kit) might not be a bad idea. Either way, your engine will be replaced more than likely.

Im off to the house.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:41 PM

look under the car when you rev it is it shajking a lot does it get louder when you sticjk your head under the car....turn the car off let it cool grab the exhaust some where a shaing and move it around to see if it's possably hitting somthing
Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 PM

From your vid it sounds like the cat. When the cat is cold its insides can rattle. As it warms up the insides expand and the rattle goes away. chrysler was notorious for this in the 90's.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:24 PM

ok well that may be the noise but what about the white smoke???

and my cat was completly melted and never made a noise the boost shot uup and the flex pipe broke but no noise

Last edited by brett5; 08-18-2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2008, 08:38 PM

Talking about the cat problem.... if one melts it becomes blocked and then you have what happenened to you. His sounds like the insides just started to break away from the cat body. As far as the white smoke... could be a little fat which could also cause cat failure. I'm a car guy that just bought a 2.4 sport. I'm here to learn from you guys because you have been working on these things for a while and most of my exp. is N/A. these supercharged and turbo 'd stuff is all new and I'll have to go on what you guys are saying.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 PM

When my cat went out on my zzp dp the boost never went up. For a couple monthe I had part of the cat ratteling around in the cat back uptil the exhaust flow blew them out. My doesnt rattle anymore. Mine rattled alot when it was cold but decreased upon warming up.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stonny9
When my cat went out on my zzp dp the boost never went up. For a couple monthe I had part of the cat ratteling around in the cat back uptil the exhaust flow blew them out. My doesnt rattle anymore. Mine rattled alot when it was cold but decreased upon warming up.
because you blew yours out, not clogged it like brett
Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by MaJ
Last monday they asked me to come down with the stock pully & belt, not the injectors, and they aren't going to tune it back to stock either. They were going to run the car like that for a bit and see if the problem still occured. This seems like a really bad idea to me. Anyone else thing so?
This is a stupid idea. They're going to replace teh st2 pulley with the factory pulley and belt and charge you...ITS A TRAP! Find a dealer that knows what they're doing.

Do you have rocks in can sound or grinding? If it's grinding you need a new supercharger because the blades aren't meshing properly (could just replace the rotors but I don't know if anyone sells them seperately). At least that would be my suggestion. You're other problems...white means you may have a bat cat or possibly something (ie coolant) leak (head gasket?).

Have your coolant levels gone down any?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:10 PM
MaJ

Thanks for the continued advice everyone. Keep the brainstorming going. The more fuel I have the better.

Also. I'm taking the car to a new dealership tomorrow. One that I haven't taken my car to for warrenty before. Hopefully they'll give me a better story.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MaJ
Thanks for the continued advice everyone. Keep the brainstorming going. The more fuel I have the better.

Also. I'm taking the car to a new dealership tomorrow. One that I haven't taken my car to for warrenty before. Hopefully they'll give me a better story.
dont burn that bridge until u get to back to stock pulley+injectors+ecu (unless u have the place that did it that is GM certified receipt)

trust me man.... do it right the first time
Old 08-18-2008, 09:25 PM
MaJ

Originally Posted by rrutter81
dont burn that bridge until u get to back to stock pulley+injectors+ecu (unless u have the place that did it that is GM certified receipt)

trust me man.... do it right the first time
Well, at this point I don't really see any reason to go back to stock anything. The parts are warrantable, and they shouldn't even bring them up until they can prove they caused the issues. I'm going to see what the other dealership has to say. If they request I bring in the stock parts then I will, but if I can avoid doing it I would rather go that route.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by MaJ
Well, at this point I don't really see any reason to go back to stock anything. The parts are warrantable, and they shouldn't even bring them up until they can prove they caused the issues. I'm going to see what the other dealership has to say. If they request I bring in the stock parts then I will, but if I can avoid doing it I would rather go that route.
It's not necessary to go back to stock. If there's a problem with the supercharger there's a problem with the supercharger. There's no dealer in the US who's going to swap back the stock setup on to fix a problem without charging you because it's cost prohibitive (at least 2-3 hours at dealer bill rate). They're just blowing smoke up your ass. I would be HIGHLY hesitant to trust any dealer who hasn't installed many (if any) s2 kits (mainly all saturn dealers and 1/2 chevy dealers).
Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned

i meant install the stock stuff yourself.... drop it off to the second dealer and then call it a day. Im assuming you dont have the s2 receipt.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 PM

don't be afraid to bring your car to a dealership, i work for one, and the only time we deny warrenty is if we can with out a doubt point it to cust abuse. not to support my shop, but if you want a good diag bring it by vickar chevorlet on regent ave.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:52 PM

pmd you, forgot to tell you to smack the convertor with your hand or rubber mallet.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:26 PM
MaJ

i meant install the stock stuff yourself.... drop it off to the second dealer and then call it a day. Im assuming you dont have the s2 receipt.
I don't have an S2 receipt. I bought the parts for CrateEngineDepot, had them installed by a friend who works at a mechanics shop, and then had it flashed at a local Pontiac dealership. Don't think the flash receipt will be enough for them though...

Originally Posted by sparhawk
don't be afraid to bring your car to a dealership, i work for one, and the only time we deny warrenty is if we can with out a doubt point it to cust abuse. not to support my shop, but if you want a good diag bring it by vickar chevorlet on regent ave.
I wish that were the case for Murray's... They didn't do jack ****. The day went like this: Took a shop forman for a road test. He admitted he heard a strange sound. We popped the hood, he saw a pully that was smaller then stock, and told me he couldn't help me. I told him it was GMS2, and he said "We didn't install it. We won't warranty it." And then promptly sent me on my way.

Originally Posted by JimzSS
pmd you, forgot to tell you to smack the convertor with your hand or rubber mallet.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check on this tomorrow, I'm tired and it's dark out now.

Last edited by MaJ; 08-18-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 PM

ill check with my shop foreman in the morning, but im pretty shure that as long as you have the sticker from the stage 2 kit on your car it shouldn't matter.
the whole thing with the exhaust noise, and the white smoke is most likely not related to your metalic noise, so there should be no reason for them to give you the cold shoulder.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:15 PM

ill check with my shop foreman in the morning, but im pretty shure that as long as you have the sticker from the stage 2 kit on your car it shouldn't matter.
the whole thing with the exhaust noise, and the white smoke is most likely not related to your metalic noise, so there should be no reason for them to give you the cold shoulder.
Oh no...I'm thinking he has TWO problems going on here.

If it's a bunk cat they should replace it unless they give you crap about the cai (which is possible if they suck).

If it's a coolant leak again they should replace it but they will give you crap about stage 2 kit.

If it's the supercharger they should replace but will definitely give you crap about the stage 2 kit because they didn't install it.

You should probably just find an amenable dealer and if it's still a problem go OVER their heads to corporate.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by theneelster
qft

go stock bro.... it will save you ALOT of problems
Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the noise you are describing sounds exactly like my S2 used to sound like when it was knocking like a bastard.
im guessing you use 91 octane right?

Ive also been saying for years that S2 isnt warrantied if you install it yourself.
says so right in the gmpp parts book.

but no one would believe me.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:20 PM

qft

go stock bro.... it will save you ALOT of problems
No...it's not going to solve either problem especially if the s/c is damaged. It'll just prove that it's not s2 induced.

Originally Posted by an0malous
the noise you are describing sounds exactly like my S2 used to sound like when it was knocking like a bastard.

Canada=yes 91.

Last edited by theneelster; 08-18-2008 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2008, 11:34 PM
MaJ

I don't know of any Stage 2 sticker? I still have the install booklet with the registration information they need to call into the tech line with to get the tune file. Is it part of that book?

Originally Posted by theneelster

If it's a bunk cat they should replace it unless they give you crap about the cai (which is possible if they suck).

If it's a coolant leak again they should replace it but they will give you crap about stage 2 kit.

If it's the supercharger they should replace but will definitely give you crap about the stage 2 kit because they didn't install it.

You should probably just find an amenable dealer and if it's still a problem go OVER their heads to corporate.
I don't have the CAI installed at the moment. I took it off before originally going into the dealer when this whole thing started.

Originally Posted by an0malous

Ive also been saying for years that S2 isnt warrantied if you install it yourself.
says so right in the gmpp parts book.

Yea, I use Shell vPower 91 only. Define "knocking like a bastard". What did you do to fix it, if anything? I'll take another read over the parts warranty, but I remember reading (when this issue started) that the parts are warrantied as long as the install is looked over by a dealer and the flash is put on by them. I had this done.

Quick Reply: Supercharger grinding, exhaust rattle & white smoke