Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Supercharger grinding, exhaust rattle & white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryan. Hope this helps. The Stage 2 sticker is the emissions compliant one that comes with Stage 1 and 2 and not with 3. The knocking should only happen if you are seriously heating that blower up - which IMO you are b/c the rotor bearing or whatever is gone and it's causing tonnes of friction. The 91 octane thing is no probs for us. I'm sure Wes, Kenny and Omega5 here in Saskatoon can all vouch for V-Power. Don't flame me (viewers, not the OP) for stating that 91 doesn't knock - I'm not saying that. I'm simply saying that it isn't a big problem for us (as GM knew when they offered the car here), and it's (V Power) a helluva lot better than the other brands.

On a side note, I switched to Mohawk 10% ethanol 94 octane. No change in gas mileage, no knock, and runs way smoother than any 91 I've used.....
Old 08-19-2008, 01:04 AM

the rattle from the blower is probly the cupler..its going out
Old 08-19-2008, 01:26 AM
MaJ

Originally Posted by SlowBalt_06
the rattle from the blower is probly the cupler..its going out
It's not a rattle and doesn't sound anything like marbles bouncing around. This is the sound that has been used to describe the coupler failing. Also, I've been told that you will also hear a sound when the car is idling.
I don't experience any of the things people have mentioned in other threads about the coupler.

Thank you anyway though
Old 08-19-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MaJ
I don't know of any Stage 2 sticker? I still have the install booklet with the registration information they need to call into the tech line with to get the tune file. Is it part of that book?

I don't have the CAI installed at the moment. I took it off before originally going into the dealer when this whole thing started.

Yea, I use Shell vPower 91 only. Define "knocking like a bastard". What did you do to fix it, if anything? I'll take another read over the parts warranty, but I remember reading (when this issue started) that the parts are warrantied as long as the install is looked over by a dealer and the flash is put on by them. I had this done.
I ditched the S2 tune, and went custom.

S2 really does like to knock, and at times it sounds almost like a high pitched grinding. or a sparking sound.

mine used to knock up to 6-8* on 91 octane.
until i saw it on the interceptor and ditched the tune.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 PM
MaJ

So, I just got back from the dealership. I got treated a lot better this time around then previously. The manager here was a nicer guy, and really honest with me. He did tell me basically the same stuff as the last place, but he actually explained why things were that way.

In the end, I have to drop it back to stock before they'll be able to do anything for me. After a few test drives, he pin-pointed the sound in the charger, and is confident it's the rear bearing. He says if I drop it back to stock and bring it back to him, he'll get the blower replaced. Alternatively, I can bring them the parts and they'll drop it back to stock for me, unfortunately in that case I would have to pay them labour for the swap out.

As for the exhaust rattle and white smoke. We were able to reproduce the rattle, and the manager says it sounds like the cat blew out. He suggested the possibility of them being related in that if it is a blown bearing, it may have broken appart and peaces of the bearing may have shot out and damaged the cat. I had been theorizing this was the case, but didn't know enough about the parts to say if this was possible or not.

In the end, he says he wants to replace both the cat and the blower, but incase the blown bearing did actually cause the cat to go, he doesn't want to replace the cat till the blower is replaced (to prevent another cat failure)

So... now I need to get my hands on a pully puller and drop it back to stock

Originally Posted by an0malous
I ditched the S2 tune, and went custom.

S2 really does like to knock, and at times it sounds almost like a high pitched grinding. or a sparking sound.

mine used to knock up to 6-8* on 91 octane.
until i saw it on the interceptor and ditched the tune.
Yeah, I had done the same as well, but when I heard about GM being able to check on tunes, I tossed it back to S2 when this problem started.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 PM

i was talking to my foreman today and he is pretty shure that it doesn't matter where you have your stage 2 installed, because its GM parts, so in his optinion you should still have warranty, but he was going to check with someone higher up. that was as far as i got, we both got swamped with work.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Banned

as prophesized
Old 08-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Premium Member

IF the bearing in the blower took a **** , and took out the CAT. that would mean that your motor ingested the pieces and spit them back out. I really doubt that happened , the inter cooler cores would prolly stop most of that **** from making it into the motor . If i did happen to make it to the motor , i would be more worried about the pistons and cylinder walls .
Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 AM

^^^^very good point!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the op managed to get the stock pulley on today with some assistance of local memebers, the grinding can be heard even louder now (my guess is because there is less whine).

hopefully they fix it for your ryan.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:43 AM

if it is s/c bearing failure, are the "myths" of spinning the m62 wih a smaller pulley past its max rpm true? Hmmm, maybe folks here know some stuff. lol
Old 08-20-2008, 10:24 AM

On a Stage 2 Pulley? This is a warranty issue, not an abuse issue.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 AM

how many miles on the car?

this is actually the first car i heard of of the bearing on the blower going..not the coupler i hope this dosen't happen to me....i'm prettty sure you have to replace the whole blower for those

Last edited by brett5; 08-20-2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-20-2008, 11:00 AM
MaJ

Originally Posted by sparhawk
i was talking to my foreman today and he is pretty shure that it doesn't matter where you have your stage 2 installed, because its GM parts, so in his optinion you should still have warranty, but he was going to check with someone higher up. that was as far as i got, we both got swamped with work.
If you can find more information on this, that would be great. Two dealerships have now told me that GM won't warranty someone elses work. They said the parts are still under warranty, just not the labour.

Originally Posted by rukkee
IF the bearing in the blower took a **** , and took out the CAT. that would mean that your motor ingested the pieces and spit them back out. I really doubt that happened , the inter cooler cores would prolly stop most of that **** from making it into the motor . If i did happen to make it to the motor , i would be more worried about the pistons and cylinder walls .
Yea, this is a very good point. I didn't imagine it was possible that stuff would make it through the motor. The two things are probably unrelated then.

Originally Posted by brett5
how many miles on the car?

this is actually the first car i heard of of the bearing on the blower going..not the coupler i hope this dosen't happen to me....i'm prettty sure you have to replace the whole blower for those
Car has just over 21000 miles on it, and I've had it since June of 06. The dealership told me they would need to replace the entire blower, as GM doesn't offer repair parts for them to just open it up and replace the internals.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:41 PM

i talked to my foreman, and disrict service manager, who both agreed that stage 2 kits should be covered under warranty. for anyone who doesn't know a dsm is higher up than a service manager.
my fore man really wants you to come by the shop so he can see whats going on with you car.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:16 PM

Just an update for you ^^^^^^^^^, Maj may have found a dealer who will help - we will know more Monday...
Old 08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
MaJ

Heheh, another update on the status of my car.
It doesn't drive anymore. Pretty sure the cat is clogged completely at this point.

Turning the engine on, it idles pretty rough, and as soon as you give it a little gas it stalls out. I'm asuming it's either not able to bring in air cause the blower is done, or it's not able to push out air cause the cat is K.O'd.

Looks like it's going to need a tow into whatever dealer it gets to....
Old 08-25-2008, 11:59 AM

Holy Shiznit.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 PM

If you want to tow it to my shop, we are still willing to fix it, but you can bring it to who ever you want.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 PM

had that supercharger grinding its going bad im on my 4th supercharger hope u got warrenty still