Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Surprising issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprising issues

Car specs: 2006 Cobalt SS 4dr (2.4L) 76k mi.

By no means am I a real mechanic, but I am comfortable with doing most work myself on my vehicle. That said, I've never seen or heard of this (or these) issue(s) with a car...

1) The car has trouble starting, but it's pretty much only in the hottest part of the day. 5-8am I can get in and crank up fine. 9p or later is usually about the same, but around 1-4p I often have to try cranking it several times. Turning it little to prime the fuel system is fine, but when it goes all the way it's as if the battery just died and nothing happens OR it will try to turn over a few times and then start up. The next morning it will be fine again and if try that afternoon the problem will be there again (been like this about a week now).

2) Possible/probably related to #1, The engine light comes and goes. It's off every morning, pops up in the heat of the day and is usually off again in the evening (50/50 shot at being on then, but still off the next morning) It might be on once when I crank the car then off the next time, or it might go on and turn off mid drive.

3) By far the most odd is an egg smell. Day 1 I got in the car and smelled nothing in the morning, got in about noon and noticed the smell, and by evening it was to get in the car it smelled so strong. Later that same night, got in again and there was no smell. Ever since then though at random a strong egg smell will come and go. It might be there when I get in the car or it might not. Sometimes it hits while driving out of nowhere and some days it's never there at all. This egg scent has come and gone like this for a month now. I've gone up to a full week with no odor thinking it's gone only for it to hit me again as strong as ever.

All that said, the car still runs fine, drives smooth and otherwise seems unaffected and has no issues (other than starting up trouble like mentioned). I've kept check and haven't had change in my mileage, coolant temp, all my fluids are at the right levels and look good, and I've looked it all over and can't any leaks of anything.
My best guess (for #1 & 2) is some sort of instrumentation glitch and/or a sensor that's fried or just a little off, but I have no ideas which it could even be. As for the egg smell, I can't think of any explanation in the least.

Anyone delt with this or heard of it, or is this actually a unique problem? lol
Old 09-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First thing to do is have the codes checked they should be in history and readable,post them here it would help.

The egg smell that you have is possibly hydrogen gas,im taking it as the smell is in the car and the only place it can come from is your battery!
This would be due to over charging and your vent hose being off the battery.
Take a look and at it and see if the battery acid is spilling in the car trunk.

The battery could be failing with the heat in the afternoon because it is almost dead(np good anymore new one required.) but dont replace it without checking the charging system!

If the egg smell is coming from the car while its running then you have a Cat problem
This would be hydrogen sulfied gas due to the cat inefficency (clogged most likely)you will smell this egg smell going up a step hill in traffic coming from other cars when they are under load if you have the window open.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good call Coblasts, I gave it a check over and ALL the problems were the battery. I replaced it and have none of the issues anymore.
The egg smell in particular was not entirely the battery's fault; I found a crack at the end of the battery drain pipe that was letting some back into the trunk. That was replaced as well, so it's all good now.

I thought it could've been the battery before since it's "start-up" routine seemed like it, but I've never known a battery to be so affected by heat (always only been cold start issues that I've ever seen). Is there something about the "maintenance free" batteries that make them prone to heat issues, or is my battery knowledge just lacking? lol
Old 09-07-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 years is generally a good life span for most regular batteries.
Sediment fills the bottom of them eventually(oxide from charging flakes off)and when it reaches the bottom of the plates it short them oit and you get a dead cell.
Heat problem generally are cause by plates warping in the cells or coennctions with in the battery coming apart due to expansion from the heat(bad plare welds etc)
Your problem is rare though.