Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Thermostat replaced, Code p0017, wont start after driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat replaced, Code p0017, wont start after driving

Hey guys this is my first post!I have a 2007 Cobalt ss s/c. So my T-stat took a dump and I had it replaced at a local auto repair shop ( owned by family friend). They removed the cam position sensor to gain better acces to the thermostat. I picked up the car, it ran fine. I was driving directly to the dealer where I bought it to get an oil change (free oil changes for life) and it threw a p0017 code. So this is the cam-crank correlation code correct? I cleared the code, and proceeded to the dealer, the car was running great.

I get a call this morning from the dealer, they started it, moved it into to the shop, shut it off, it now wont start. Cranks and cranks. Theyre telling me theres a service bulletin for the cam hex gear that turns the sensor and want 400 bucks to "investigate" and may need a cam after that if the gear has spun on the end of the cam?. he says its not the cam sensor itself or its timing, which I find odd considereing it was just removed and replaced (possibly incorrectly).

The car has 101k on it, so totally out of warranty. It seems crazy to charge 4 hrs to pull the valve cover and investigate. Im looking for some advice on what to do. Is this a common problem? Give the dealer a bunch of money, or tow it home and screw with it myself? Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 AM

Welcome to the forum, brentk1983,

I see this post was put up yesterday, and so you may have already made your decisions as to what you wanted to do since then. As the vehicle is beyond most of the warranties, that may be a big deciding factor for you, and I appreciate it. I can look into any remaining warranties if you would like to get me the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM

Did you ever get an answer on this? I am having the same issue with my 06 150k

Originally Posted by brentk1983
Hey guys this is my first post!I have a 2007 Cobalt ss s/c. So my T-stat took a dump and I had it replaced at a local auto repair shop ( owned by family friend). They removed the cam position sensor to gain better acces to the thermostat. I picked up the car, it ran fine. I was driving directly to the dealer where I bought it to get an oil change (free oil changes for life) and it threw a p0017 code. So this is the cam-crank correlation code correct? I cleared the code, and proceeded to the dealer, the car was running great.

I get a call this morning from the dealer, they started it, moved it into to the shop, shut it off, it now wont start. Cranks and cranks. Theyre telling me theres a service bulletin for the cam hex gear that turns the sensor and want 400 bucks to "investigate" and may need a cam after that if the gear has spun on the end of the cam?. he says its not the cam sensor itself or its timing, which I find odd considereing it was just removed and replaced (possibly incorrectly).

The car has 101k on it, so totally out of warranty. It seems crazy to charge 4 hrs to pull the valve cover and investigate. Im looking for some advice on what to do. Is this a common problem? Give the dealer a bunch of money, or tow it home and screw with it myself? Thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say get a cam sensor off of rock auto. You won't be out much and its a good try. Also check to make sure they didn't accidentally unplug the crankshaft position sensor or not plug any of the cam sensors all the way in.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 PM

Already replaced cam sensor and indexed it properly
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Normally if this isn't a sensor issue, its timing though. Lets hope you guys didn't bend any valves. I mean it could also be the ECM but very doubtful.