Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Throw Out Bearing? Or Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw Out Bearing? Or Transmission?

Ok, so I'll start off saying that I'm not a car person at all, so I apologize in advance if anything I say sounds stupid.

For a couple months now, the car would make all the noises associated with a bad throw out bearing, but only on long trips. If it was just a 20-minute drive, there'd be no issues. The noises would happen only if I were driving for more than a half hour.

I didn't have the money to get it looked at, and figured I had some time before any real damage would happen.

Well yesterday, I risked it and drove an hour an a half to the beach. It drove perfectly fine until I took the exit for the beach, and it started popping into neutral, and eventually the car started shaking like it was about to stall, even in neutral. So I parked at the beach for two hours. When it was time to leave, car drove fine for about a mile and then kept shaking and putting. Pulled into a parking spot, then I couldn't even go into reverse. Ended up getting a $500 tow back home.

Is this just a dead TO bearing? Or did it destroy the transmission? I'm trying to figure out if I need a new bearing, clutch, or if I should just scrap it if it is in fact the entire transmission. The strange thing is, I got a new clutch installed when I bought the car a little over a year ago, and it ran me about $1200.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Does pushing the clutch pedal in affect anything regarding the shaking? "Popping into neutral" doesn't sound like a throwout bearing issue.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
You say clutch and throw out bearing and such. Let me just clarify. It's a 5 speed and not an automatic right ?
let me know. Just making sure. Some people get taken for a ride sometimes.