Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

timing chain issue/cam gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing chain issue/cam gears

ok I bought a whole new timing chain kit of ebay (yes ik not the best decision) with this said I have installed everything, followed the video on youtube of the guy doing it with the 07 cobalt, same 2.2l engine, everytime I go to turn the motor the chain seems to get lose, either between the 2 cams at the top or down below on the right side if your looking at the motor at the passenger wheel. nothing I do seems to get this out of being lose, I even checked this link ( http://www.justanswer.com/pontiac/3m...ing-chain.html ) printed out the pictures and made sure my cams were lined up correctly and they are, everything is correct!! it makes no since why this continues to happen, I even took the new gears off and put the old gears on to see, and same thing happens, the tensioner is holding pressure and that side never seems to be lose....just makes no sense to me at all very confused, my grandfather did turn the right cam around a few times, im not sure if this would have any affect as I stated it shows to be lined up so I wouldn't see why, I do not have any of the older parts off the vehicle so I have no old chain to compare to, and I doubt its the chain im lost if anyone has gone through this issue before pleaseeee help me out, tyvm
Old 04-07-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Did you turn the crank around to make sure everything stays lined up after however many turns it takes?

The cams aren't going to keep the chain taut if there's nothing driving the chain. I went through a similar thing that it sounds like you're going through when I first changed a timing belt. Just be sure that everything stays aligned when you turn the crank, then you should be ok.

I'm assuming your motor is not VVT.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:19 PM

idk what VVT is sorry, however EVERYTHING is lined up as far as the bottom gear being top dead center, the dot at 5 oclock is faced straight to the Black Link, as the intake (int) diamond is sitting at the black link and the Exhuast (ext) triangle is sitting on the other black link, anything besides this and im un aware of, I changed all of the piston connecting rod bearings, and threw on the oil pan already, I would hate to take that off, but I did turn the crank a good 5-6 times in rotation to make sure everything was good to go.....I have also put a screw driver into the number 1 cylinder to make sure it was sitting top dead center and to make sure my alignments were correct. so far so good everything checks out, this is why im so confused
Old 04-07-2015, 04:33 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
the chain slack sounds like the tensioner has been sprung yet\

although these engines do get a little slack between the gears
Old 04-07-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
VVT=variable valve timing.

I second JapEatr's question about the tensioner being sprung.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:21 PM

Ok so there is 3 diff ways I have seen this spring one way is when u push it all the way in then screw the tensioner into place tap it and it comes out I did unscrew it back out and it all remains together ik if u unscrew it the whole way if ur not carful the spring will throw the top peice across the garage lol so with that said does that mean it's tensioning correctly ik this may of not made much since I'm on my phone and it will not allow me to show pictures I have my buddy said he thinks it's a bent valve causing the issue I told him over the phone he's a master mechanic but didn't see it in person
Old 04-09-2015, 10:50 PM

If anyone has any other ideas for the cause of this timing chain issue please let me know I have ran out of ideas