Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Too cold for factory XM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too cold for factory XM?

I'll post this in the audio forums as well - but I know this one is pretty well read.

Is it possible for it to be too cold for the factory XM radio? I've had my SS for about a month - bought it new - and over the past week and a half or so, my XM doesn't work for my morning drive - the only stations I can pick up are XM1, 174 and some other preview channel. It works fine later on in the day. The weather is the only thing I can think of that may effect it, since we've had at or below zero morning temps in Cleveland for a bit.
Has anyone else experience this or know what it may be? I just have a feeling this is going to be very difficult to reproduce for a service center, and while I've called XM they really are very little help.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:02 AM

i doubt it could be too cold to recieve satalite waves, id take it to the dealer and have them look at it..you getting jipped out of your service
Old 02-08-2007, 07:04 AM

Yeah - I agree. I called XM and they 'reset my unit' which did absolutely nothing. I haven't tried turning the car off and back on in the morning yet, I'll try that and then take it to the dealer this weekend if nothing helps.
The only other thing I can figure is that maybe my apartment building is blocking signal on start-up, but you'd think it'd pick up during my commute..
Old 02-08-2007, 07:06 AM

yeah i donno, i never had that problem with sirius
Old 02-08-2007, 07:23 AM

Weird..... I have XM in my Cobalt and it is working fine. It has also been below freezing here in Indy also.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:11 AM

What's really weird is that on XM1, it constantly has a listing for me to call the Canadian XM to set up for service. I'm wondering if somehow I'm picking up the Canadian satellite (if there's a difference?) in the mornings.
I would imagine though that someone else in Buffalo, or Detroit or here or wherever would be experiencing/would've experienced smething similar.
I just don't understand why it works fine later in the day and why it is I CAN pick up XM signal, just not full XM coverage... Luckily there's a dealer right down the street from my apartment, maybe it'll do it Saturday morning and I can take it in to ask them 'wtf.'
Old 02-08-2007, 10:54 AM

on a semi-related note... the volume down button on my steering wheel dosen't work in the mornings when it's cold...

the volume up side works fine... it's just the down that craps out... wierd.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:28 AM

*This is why I can't wait to move back to the Carolinas*

No offense to you midwesterners, you do have a beautiful part of the country and some of the greatest people I've met in my life live here in Ohio -- but in a year I'll be back down South and not have to worry about "is my car picking up radio from Canada" or "is it too cold for some parts of my car to work properly"... that doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that I'm entirely pissed that a car with barely over 1,000 miles on it is contiouosly covered in salt.

Kinda neat for those who have the three-spoked wheel with the cruise on the left and the radio on the right - you can use the up and down arrows that search through your presets as a *seek* function, too. You just have lightly hold it down with your whole thumb instead of pressing it, it takes some practice.