Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Took off blower, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Took off blower, need help

I took my blower off this weekend and replaced it with a vulcan turbo manifold. Install of the manifold went smooth. Tensioner was a different story.

Anywho, I got everthing bolted up and ran a new vacuum line to my ZZP BRFS kit instead of using the evap line.

I retune it to disable the blower and started the car. It started and was running super lean at idle. Oh and the belt, which is new along with the tensioner, is squealing. I checked the fuel pressure and it is at 41psi base, it used to be at 46-48psi previous. I retune for the lower pressure and it is still running lean. I added 50% fuel in those cells and still lean as hell and didnt change.

Notes:

I plugged the round port on the intake side of the head between the 2-3 port. I added a gas cap vent to relieve any excess pressure.

I replaced the fuel filter.

No CEL are present

I checked for vacuum leaks and couldnt find any.

Only line I didnt cover was the line that used to go to the bypass solenoid, do I have to do anything with that? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 PM

Edit: Just checked your profile, your 2006, SC (LSJ)
Your fuel pressure SHOULD be approx 55 - 65 psig
But if you retuned for the lower pressure I don't know.
Maybe somethings up with your fuel pump modual?
Does it drip fuel in the back after you parK? Mine did
and was cracked and I had to get it replaced (For Free, it's a special GM procedure/policy if you live in a warm climate)
Old 08-02-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Sounds like you have a major vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by insylem
Edit: Just checked your profile, your 2006, SC (LSJ)
Your fuel pressure SHOULD be approx 55 - 65 psig
But if you retuned for the lower pressure I don't know.
Maybe somethings up with your fuel pump modual?
Does it drip fuel in the back after you parK? Mine did
and was cracked and I had to get it replaced (For Free, it's a special GM procedure/policy if you live in a warm climate)
I have a ZZP BRFS kit, I set the base fuel to 41psi.

I already had that recall done.

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Sounds like you have a major vacuum leak somewhere.
That is what I was think... But cant find it. They are all new vacuum lines.. I will check again. Thanks for the idea.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:17 PM

Could be a sealing issue at the flange, or something on the manifold that isn't plugged properly. Go over everything, every connection, every mating point.

You said you blocked off the pcv fitting on the head, which gasket are you using? Most of the manifolds i've seen cover that hole anyway and the newer LSJ IM gasket blocks it off and seals it.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 PM

Could be a sealing issue at the flange, or something on the manifold that isn't plugged properly. Go over everything, every connection, every mating point.

You said you blocked off the pcv fitting on the head, which gasket are you using? Most of the manifolds i've seen cover that hole anyway and the newer LSJ IM gasket blocks it off and seals it.
I was worries about the seal at the flange, I have a stock gasket and the manifold has inserts for rubber gaskets... I am looking for those atm to see if that is the reason.

The manifold does not seal it and the gasket only seals a protion of it, seems the hole isnt cut correctly.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by SCcobaltSS
I was worries about the seal at the flange, I have a stock gasket and the manifold has inserts for rubber gaskets... I am looking for those atm to see if that is the reason.

The manifold does not seal it and the gasket only seals a protion of it, seems the hole isnt cut correctly.
The gasket has a left and right, did you possibly put it on backwards? That hole is offset, so one way it fits clean through the original gasket, if you turn the gasket over it won't line up right. The newer gasket has no hole in it, i'd suggest you get one of those, they aren't expensive.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:03 PM

The gasket has a left and right, did you possibly put it on backwards? That hole is offset, so one way it fits clean through the original gasket, if you turn the gasket over it won't line up right. The newer gasket has no hole in it, i'd suggest you get one of those, they aren't expensive.
Ok, I will get one of those. Do you think that is better than the rubber inserts that the manifold is able to have?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:08 PM

The stock gasket is MLS I believe, it might be single layer but it's still a pretty nice gasket. If you are worried about it, put a little sealant on both sides, or use RTV and fill the gasket grooves in the new manifold.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:28 PM

The stock gasket is MLS I believe, it might be single layer but it's still a pretty nice gasket. If you are worried about it, put a little sealant on both sides, or use RTV and fill the gasket grooves in the new manifold.
Ok sounds good. I will try this tomorrow and update this.

If anyone else has an idea, keep 'em coming.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Alright, it was not belt squeak after all.

I started spraying maf cleaner (since that is the only thing I had) around vacuum lines and such trying to find a leak to cause my lean condition. Found one at the manifold. Fixed it, and the squeak went away. This squeak sounded identical to a belt slip. its weird.

Anywho. Still running super lean. Going to change the TB gasket to a crush type copper and see what happens.