Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Top End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Top End Noise

I have had an on going problem now for about 4 months and have been working at correcting the problem since. I started to notice that there was a rattle/roaring noise coming from the passenger side of the engine. I had some people listen to it and they said they thought it might be the timing chain was loose.

I removed the valve cover to check and see if there was any play in the chain. It seemed pretty tight to me. The next suggestion was to check the balance shaft chain by removing the access cover to the water pump. I removed the cover and stuck my finger in to check. It seemed a little loose so I tought I had narrowed the problem down to something with it.

I spent last weekend tearing into the engine to be able to remove the engine cover to see what was going on. Once I got it open I could clearly see that there was some slack in the chain as shown in the picture below

I was able to push the guide with my finger and remove the slack so I figured the tensioner must have been bad

Name:  20130609_122501.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  317.9 KB

I replaced the tensioner and put everything back together. I even installed a new serp belt as it had never been replaced and was starting to crack. I started the engine and still noticed noise. On the plus side it didnt sound as bad in my opinion. Again I took the valve cover off and to my surprise this time there was slack in the timing chain.

Yesterday I replaced the timing chain tensioner and the chain is nice and tight again. I started it up and still had noise. This is really starting to **** me off at this point. I look everything over on the car and notice that I had forgotten to tighten up the water pump bolt on the cover. I tightened it down and fired the engine back up. Still the noise is there

I know the timing belt is tight so I took off the cover for the water pump again. I noticed that it seemed pretty hot inside the engine as there was smoke coming out of the access hole when I opened it up. I reached in to feel the chain and it feels a little loose but it may be within spec I am not sure.

I am wondering if the balance shaft chain had been stretched and even with a new tensioner there is still too much slack. I guess I shouldve replaced every damn part when I had it opened up lol. My only other thought is that it may be the water pump as the engine seemed hot. I was also wondering about the oil pump not sure where that is located. Maybe its just not getting enough lubrication. I have posted a link below the recent video I took of the noise. Hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction. I am about to either just take the car to a mechanic and pay out the ass or get rid of it

20130612_100636.mp4 Video by killazincorp | Photobucket
Old 06-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a double post somehow. Someone please delete. Thanks

Last edited by biniecki; 06-14-2013 at 02:06 PM.