Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission

The other day I was pulling into a parking lot cutting across traffic in first gear and took my car to about 3 or 4 RPM. As soon as I hit the parking lot I hear a clump noise and my engine dies and doesn't start back up. I get it to the shop and there is a hole on my casing to the transmission. We get it started and, however, my transmission is gone with chunks of gear falling out it. I am looking for a rebuilt transmission or a used one, however, I am on a budget. I am not to sure how this happened, however, I had the clutch and transmission replaced 2 years ago by Mr. Transmission and some people were telling me I should have replaced the slave cylynder, however, they did not do this. If I were to buy another transmission, should I replace anything else? Also does anybody out there have a transmission? I have a 2005 Cobalt SS/SC 2.0 What kind of Transmission will I need?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chadnky
The other day I was pulling into a parking lot cutting across traffic in first gear and took my car to about 3 or 4 RPM. As soon as I hit the parking lot I hear a clump noise and my engine dies and doesn't start back up. I get it to the shop and there is a hole on my casing to the transmission. We get it started and, however, my transmission is gone with chunks of gear falling out it. I am looking for a rebuilt transmission or a used one, however, I am on a budget. I am not to sure how this happened, however, I had the clutch and transmission replaced 2 years ago by Mr. Transmission and some people were telling me I should have replaced the slave cylynder, however, they did not do this. If I were to buy another transmission, should I replace anything else? Also does anybody out there have a transmission? I have a 2005 Cobalt SS/SC 2.0 What kind of Transmission will I need?
Good morning chadnky,

I'm sorry to hear that your Cobalt is under the weather. I hope that the following information I pulled from the standard equipment specifications in our archives helps to answer the last part of your post (what kind of transmission will I need?):

Type: FPG F35, 5-speed manual, front-wheel drive
Gear ratios (:1)
First: 3.38
Second: 1.76
Third: 1.18
Fourth: 0.89
Fifth: 0.70
Reverse: 3.17
Final Drive Ratio: 4.05:1

Again, I hope that this is helpful for you. I can see if I can learn anything more about your vehicle build if you wanted to send me the last 8 digits of your VIN.
Sarah
GM Customer Service