Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

transmission probs

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry transmission probs

i hate gm and there dam service center. i took my car in for a trans problem it grinds when i let off the gas they kept it for 4 days and said my clutch was bad it looked like cotton candy and they replaced it for FREE. the clutch presher plate throw out bearing, slave cilinder and fly wheel and told me the noise was from my exhaust rateling. that was thursday when i picked it up. i had to go out of town and i drove my car it was making the same sound when i took it in the first time. YES the clutch was wore but i could still take off in 2nd or 3rd and it wasent sliping. i took it back on monday and told them they were stupid it was in the trans not the exhaust i had 5 mechanics look at my car and they all said its the trans grinding you could here it in neutral while running.they called me today and said they would not fix it under waranty becouse it left thursday and i dident bring it back till monday and when the teck test drove my car there was no sounds coming from the car. my car went in and came out with the same milage so what in the hell did he test drive and where becouse i write down my milage every time i have any thing done. becouse they SAID it was the exhaust rateling i ignored the sound and drove the car 300 miles out of town when i pushed in the clutch geting off the high way coming to a stop both front wheels locked up and thew me in to the stering wheel but the engine was still running. on the way back home every thing was fine except for the loud grinding sounds coming from the trans. GM said they found metal all in the trans a they would not fix it becouse of abuse to the car and yanked my warenty from me due to my after market exhaust and that i left in the car on thursday and brought it back on monday that i had abused the car in those 3 days. they wanted 2865.00 for a new trans and if they did the work i could have my warenty back. so i told them to put my car back together becouse i drove it there im going to drive it home.

so what in the hell am i going to do its my fault the teck dident check the car out properly and did a so called test drive with the same milage on the car as it came in and left i have to pay for this. so now i have to take the trans out of my wrecked LT and put it in my LS so i have a car to drive . I WILL NEVER BUY A CHEVROLET AGAIN. and will never take my car to have serviced by gm again.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If my cobalt breaks Im getting a caliber screw the gm dealers gm used to be real good but now they are the worst.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:00 PM

Ask what proof they have you were beating on it and Call the DMV and BBB.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:44 PM

well - i got my cobalt back and they wont fix it. they said its up to the area rep. he said i abused the trans. due to after market exaust - and them having to replace the clutch - and how i shift it. i just want to say - that i shift the car when the second shift life comes on (performence shift light) they pulled my warrenty on the exaust (which is after market and doesnt matter anyway) and my trans. warrenty - by the way, my car only has 18,000 miles on it! not to mention its only 7 months old! so now im going to pursue the area rep into making a change in his decsion not to fix the car. my dealer said the decision was not up to them - and that they would fix it if GM would pay for it. I would also like to state that my dealer service manager told me that the trans. is a weak link in the 2.2 cobalt - QUIT QUESTION : will a 2.0 SS trans. bolt up to a 2.2 ?- my service manual. does not tell me. ( i know that they are two diff. types of trans. but is it possible that they are the same bolt patterns?) my service manager also imformed that i may want to look into getting a high performance trans. for the 2.2 - do they even make one???? if its just shifter and mounting probs. that can easily be taken care of. hit me back ASAP with any ideas or comments on this matter. i will post again after i speak with the area rep.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:13 AM

Unhappy

well i went to get my car and insted of driving (her) home she was put on the wecker 4 the first time. my father inlaw said dont drive it home. tow it becouse if were going to get gm to pay for it we cant drive it becouse its unsafe. and that it was drove in and now we cant drive it home. with the same milage on it. besides i tryed to put the car and in neutral and it was in first. yea right! that was a tuffy. for real then i tried to put it back then in 2nd yea right. i drove it in with just a grinding when i let off the gas and in neutral at idel. now i cant even shift it did they even put it back together. so she sitting in my drive sad and crying . asking me why.

now im building my case u only get one shot at this. im trying to find (on paper) were it says the car has 2 shift lites the 1st one is eco. and the 2nd one is hard shift performance.
as to i was driving the car like it was said to. and to as i was following and did what the service department said to. as far as driving it back 300 miles thats the abause to the trans.

ill let yal know soon.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:25 AM

this is complete and utter BS what GM is doing,they have people making decisisions on transmissions and this same person says cause you have an A/M catback, if this doesnot show whats goin on at gm I dont know what else does>GM might be putting more quality into their vehicles, but when some of their weak points break they are not backing it up.I think the time has come ti get dateline NBC involved(gm is on a massive coverup) of their products in order to make their warrenty claims look not as troublesome as they truly are
Old 12-02-2006, 09:12 PM

i put my car on the rack today and found something disturbing. because i didnt pay GM $2800 for a new trans - they just slapped it together. i went to move my car that has been sitting for 2 weeks. and the battery was dead. i charged the battery got it started and the check engine light came on. when i took it to them - the light was not on. thinking it was my exaust throwing colds again - i was wrong. i was inspecting what wires i had to take down to replace my new trans. i found that GM did not put the wires back in their clips. the wires were pulled up against my steering and were wrapped around it. which wripped and broke the wires going to the trans. and they smashed wires between the A frame and rear trans mount. so this is what i get for not paying them $2800 to replace my trans? they ruin my car? took pics. taking them to GM on monday, going to talk with them. if that doesnt work, i might have to take legal action.

tell me what u think on this on-going prob. --- i stopped- didnt touch anything untill i talk to them on monday. Ill keep u posted.

PS -- the car as been un-touched since the wrecker dropped it off 2 weeks ago.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:22 PM

GM is gonna flip on this dealership.let us know what happens when you talk to a gm rep. also let the rep know everything and you are thinking of showing this deliberate damage to a newspaper
Old 12-03-2006, 01:32 AM

bump
Old 12-03-2006, 01:55 AM

Did you try another dealer? If that one caused that much damage, I would not tak my car back there again and make them pay another dealer to do the work. You might also want to call the GM support hotline. They might be of more assistance. Good Luck.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck man. Thats horseshit.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:58 AM

ok this is what i got so far. i called chevrolet customer assistance # 1-800-222-1020 and talked with them for over 2 1/2 hrs. they were real interested in what was going on. i told them i was tring to pursue the area rep in changing his mind. and what i found when i went to put the new trans in my car. they told me not to worry about the area rep becouse they are sending me staight to the distric manager becouse of the on going problem with the trans and the new found damage with it that was found. then i told them i would be left with no choice but to call the newspaper and let them know what was going on . they then stated to me how can they fix this and what would i liked done. in a "1 2 3" order. so i told them i want a new trans with warrenty 50000 mile warrenty and pay me back for the trans i bought. a complete engine harness no splice job all work done for free and a new dealer to do the work that would do for 1

then i said ok use the trans i bought check and inspect it pay me back my 650.00 i payed for it and give me the warenty thats comes with a new rebuilt trans 50000 put it in the vehicle with a new wiring harness and all work free and new dealer to do the work.

3 then i said ok how about use the trans i bought inspect it and give me the left over warenty 18900-36000 just put the trans in for free and new wiring harness the same dealer can do the work but i supervise on all work being done to the car.

i think this is fare. so he told me thursday at 11:00 am he would call me a let me know what gm is going to do about this.

ps i told him i was going to show the service manager pics of my car same every thing as it left. they said go ahead and show them and they wanted to know how the dealer ship was going to deal with this. i got pics of evey bolt missing evey wiring harness holder clip wasent used and how the wires were ran. i was hearing a new song when i layed down the facts "pics" and told them that the distic manager was contacting me on thursday about how they are dealing with this prob. and i let them keep the pics all 35 of them with diferent views to prove that the teck seen the wires and dident care. its ok i have copy's

pss sorry for the weekly news letter. ill let yal know what happens.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 AM

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:44 AM

bump
Old 12-05-2006, 11:06 PM

ok i talked with the dealer today. and the service manager told me i did this to my car to try to get them to pay for the trans. and that the teck wouldent do something like that. and they werent going to do any thing about this problem. and he said to me why do i think the wires were even in the clips to start with when it came in. WTF. man i said you are the only dealership to work on my car and u all removed my trans and put it back and dident put the wires back in the clips thats your falt not mine. then he said that who ever put the exhaust on moved the wires out of the clips for the longer 02 sensor. i said thats wrong becouse i put the exhaust on and i dident even touch the wires on the trans to do this as far as the 02 goes i exstended the wires on the rear 02 thats it but i dident even un clip the wires from the holders. so then he said that the pics were fake and that

they werent going to do anything about this and not to come back.

i kept my cool and dident curse any one or act like a fool but now its war. im going to trash this dealership's name and rep and get the newspaper in on this

" becouse they said i did all this damage to my car on purpose to try to get them to pay for a trans and put it in" i have allready bought my trans and was going to install it when i found these probs if i can get the pics on here ill show all ya what i found and what they did.
ill let ya know what the distric manager says.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:54 PM

Definately time to let the newspaper in on this story.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:33 AM

there are 5 new pics of what was found with the wires. now rember that i did not drive this car home it was towed and put in drive way and set for 2 weeks then it was pushed backwards in the shop strait line <-- . i have 35 pics but i dont know how to show them all. so you all can see all the damage thats there. as i dident know where to put them.

they are in my gallery. so can somone tell me how to get them all on or is it ust 5 at a time till full
Old 12-06-2006, 02:05 AM

more pics in gallery
Old 12-06-2006, 02:28 AM

Isit just me or are those wires wrapped around the steering shaft? That doesn't look to safe IMO.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 AM

yes they r wraped around the steering shaft. and if you look at all the pics you can see that they are not in its clips at all

Last edited by yellowshowbalt; 12-06-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 AM

Angry

this if what i have now. distric manager said due to abuse they are not going to fix the trans and there is you warenty on the car any more. and that i should have inspected the car on pick up. when i picked up my car it was sitting in the fencend in area, at dark right at close 5:30 and they stated they could have pervided a light to inspect it. he all so stated that before the car left it was in the same condishion as it came in and as it left. and they went back to the abuse part and the exhaust. i then said they removed the wires on the trans to remove the trans and dident put them back in there clips when they put the trans back in. they said due to abuse they are not going to do any thing about this. i said so it my falt that the wires got wraped around the steering shaft and are not in ts clips due to abuse. but the dealership is the ones who removed the wires and trans it my falt for what they did. and they closed my case and put a nation wide block on my car.

is there any one here who can help me? i can fix the car thats not hard but i want somthing done about this and what the dealer did to my car.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:30 AM

Well, it seems like your dealership is exactly like the one I went to. Everything was my fault, but when the side of my car had to be repainted because of the huge scratch they put on the door, when they had to replace the fuze box because they spilled brake fluid all over it, and when they left bolts out of my transmission or left them loose it wasn't that big of a deal.

Your best bet is a lawyer at this point bro. If that doesn't work out for you, you're going to need to get the soldeing iron out to fix the connectors, pull the trans and install everything the right way, and get the car back on the road. I refuse to let the dealership even touch my car now, and I do all my own work. Good luck either way man, since GM has yet once again fucked over another customer.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 PM

Smile

well i had to go get pop. aka " THE DAD " i told him every thing that has happend and what was said and done. he said "ill take care of this son" and left.

well he came back and said the distric manager has pulled the warenty and you cant get it back. thats final then he said to me tow the car to the dealer they are fixing the wiring and puting the trans in for free there is no warenty on the trans except the one we payed for 90 days and that i would have to sign and check the car before it leaves becouse when it leaves thats it. and to please not come back. then he said i should have told him sooner about my car.

so its going back to the dealer and they are fixing it thanks to "the dad" good ow pop. ill put up pics when i get it back.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:03 PM

well it left on the wrecker its at gm now
Old 12-06-2006, 03:27 PM

someone in my service department is definately gunna get a straight punch in the face also...when i had my 4 door 06 pontiac pusuit all was well when i had to bring it for service..as soon as i got my 07 cobalt they became dicks..i brought it in just after i bought it cause it was knocking a little bit, as soon as they saw my car the guy says.."Hey i hoe you didnt do any work to your car or else we wont even touch it".. if i get that treatment one more time these guys are never gunna forget who i am, its not nice to stereotype someone by the car they drive, im just as responsible a driver as i was with my 4 door and they have to realise that stereotyping is no good..thats my rant for now..oh and by the way my dam car was knocking cause they fueled it with the shittiest gas they could probably find. needless to say a couple fill ups with ultra94 all was well.

Quick Reply: transmission probs