Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Unknown Fluid Leak....HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unknown Fluid Leak....HELP!!

I came home tonight and there are 2 wet spots on my garage floor, each about a couple inches in diameter. I looked at the fluid and touched it and it feels like a type of lubricant. It doesn't have much of a color, my mom said it is a very light green, almost like an aqua green. I compared this to the color of the coolant (redish) and the power steering fluid (bright green) and the washer fluid (blue) and none of these match the fluid on the ground. Does anyone know what this could be? Both of the spots are on the passenger side of the car, one by the front of the engine and the other by the rear.

BTW, I am not the best with colors because I am pretty color blind. Some colors seem different to me but I can compare colors and tell if they are the same or not. None of there colors are even remotely the same.

I have a white piece of cardboard under the car for the night so that will cath anything that comes out tonight.

If anyone knows what this could be, please give me a hint.

P.S I don't think it is oil either.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look underneath the car maybe?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:30 PM

I did that too. Everything looks dry
Old 02-06-2007, 10:51 PM

Anytime I have seen green it is antifreeze. I was unaware that the coolant was redish in the Cobalts.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:51 PM

green stuff is an engine coolant. nothing else.

If my memory serves me right, your engine bay is concealed, so i'm not quite sure if you would be able to reach the hoses without rmeoving the plastic cover...but that would be what i'd look at first.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Banned

its probably blue washer fluid

gm uses red coolant, dexcool. not green. dont mix red and green either, by the way

theres not much on the passanger side of the car that could leak really, besides the washer fluid container. did you recently have any service done to your vehicle or anything?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by jeremie
its probably blue washer fluid

gm uses red coolant, dexcool. not green. dont mix red and green either, by the way

theres not much on the passanger side of the car that could leak really, besides the washer fluid container. did you recently have any service done to your vehicle or anything?
I wasn't sure if the Dexcool was Red or not. I haven't had to add any yet.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:12 PM

I came home tonight and there are 2 wet spots on my garage floor, each about a couple inches in diameter. I looked at the fluid and touched it and it feels like a type of lubricant. It doesn't have much of a color, my mom said it is a very light green, almost like an aqua green. I compared this to the color of the coolant (redish) and the power steering fluid (bright green) and the washer fluid (blue) and none of these match the fluid on the ground. Does anyone know what this could be? Both of the spots are on the passenger side of the car, one by the front of the engine and the other by the rear.

BTW, I am not the best with colors because I am pretty color blind. Some colors seem different to me but I can compare colors and tell if they are the same or not. None of there colors are even remotely the same.

I have a white piece of cardboard under the car for the night so that will cath anything that comes out tonight.

If anyone knows what this could be, please give me a hint.

P.S I don't think it is oil either.
you do know that there is no power steering fluid in a cobalt because it has electic assist steering.

about the fluid...i may be wrong....supercharger coolant or a/c compressor oil. make sure your a/c is cold and if not..it is prob that
Old 02-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A coolant leak may not leave a trace wet spot on the engine. Its water based, so it will dry up. The leak may occur only when the pump is running, so it won't continue after the engine is turned off. My money is on coolant.

Start the car and let it run parked. It should start the leak up again. Trace it while running.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by ted5986
you do know that there is no power steering fluid in a cobalt because it has electic assist steering.

about the fluid...i may be wrong....supercharger coolant or a/c compressor oil. make sure your a/c is cold and if not..it is prob that

There is still power steering fluid in the rack.

It could be compressor oil but I don't see that dripping in 2 spots. It is going to be really hard to see if the A/C is blowing cold when it is -14C outside, haha

Originally Posted by Halfcent
A coolant leak may not leave a trace wet spot on the engine. Its water based, so it will dry up. The leak may occur only when the pump is running, so it won't continue after the engine is turned off. My money is on coolant.

Start the car and let it run parked. It should start the leak up again. Trace it while running.

The leak occured over night while the car wasn't running. The car is only running in the garage long enough to pull it in and out.

I am going to check the cardboard now to see if anything dripped in the last hour

Nope, nothing there. I will give you guys an update in the morning. Thanks for the input so far!!

Last edited by BooSSted; 02-06-2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Banned

i forgot to mention, for the past few years gm has been putting black light dye in some fluids. a/c compressors almost always have it and power steering has it sometimes, but not always.

i promise you it isnt coolant though

aaand as i keep typing i keep remembering things. have you used your defrost lately? that will turn the a/c compressor on too..

Last edited by jeremie; 02-06-2007 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BooSSted
. I compared this to the color of the coolant (redish) and the power steering fluid (bright green) and the washer fluid (blue) and none of these match the fluid on the ground.
Umm......if you have power steering fluid I would take it back to the dealer! That car should be equipped with Electronic Steering! LOL

Originally Posted by Matty
Anytime I have seen green it is antifreeze. I was unaware that the coolant was redish in the Cobalts.
Open your hood and look at the coolant. GM coolant (DexCool) has been red/orange for a long ass time.

Last edited by Psykostevo; 02-06-2007 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo

Open your hood and look at the coolant. GM coolant (DexCool) has been red/orange for a long ass time.
I haven't needed to add any as I only have 5K on the car. But thanks for your concern.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:20 AM

By chance could there have been another vehicle in your spot temporarily?

Here is a pic of GM Dex-Cool for reference.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 AM

i have that same light green spots in my garage but its on my driver side and my dad spotted it out for me and he said its something with the engine...
Old 02-07-2007, 11:57 AM

Well, nothing driopped over night so I don't know what the hell it was. I am pretty sure it isn't coming from my car, unless it is A/C lube or something. Oh well, I'll leave the carbboard under the car for the next little while and see if anything else comes out.