Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

vehicle stalling after start-up, I've Tried a few things but I need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vehicle stalling after start-up, I've Tried a few things but I need help

In advance thank you for reading all this I really need all the idea's/help I can get.

I was on my way home the other night and in higher rpm not getting on it at all just a gradual climb through the rpm's the car felt like it was cutting out or hitting a wall, I just shifted evertime it did it and thought that was weird but maybe because I didn't have a wideband and meth was just kicking in and out. I was monitoring my hp and it seemed to be reading very high it showed 160 just cruising at 55 and when I did get on it 407. As I was about to turn onto my road it dropped to just 1 wouldn't go any higher. I went out the next morning, all it will do is start run for three seconds then die, if you push on the gas pedal it'll die instantly. I've cleaned the maf, replaced the MAP because it did have a p0106 that's cleared but still have the problem obviously. I've replaced the fuel filter and did a pressure test and it's within where it's supposed to be and not bleeding off too much psi. I also pulled the plugs they were black as coal, I put new 1 range colder back in. Anyone have any idea's? I really need to get my car running again.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take a guess a your cat being plugged.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:21 AM

Yup. If you know a good mechanic, take it to them and have them pull both the fore and aft oxygen sensors and test the flow rates through the cat. Bet it's plugged.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:45 PM

bump? I'll have to figure out a way to test for the cat being clogged, which I'm thinking I should just be able to pull it off of the downpipe right? Doesn't the Interceptor get the horsepower reading from the MAF? I know I don't have the code but I'm wondering if it's not reading wrong because I thought I seen a really high reading for lb/min so could someone look in their interceptor and tell me about what MAF lb/min their seeing right after start up and also the MAF Frequency? I've tried searching but can't find a frequency for it. Thanks!

I seperated the cat from the exhaust system and it still stalls, I also kinda of knocked around on the cat it sounds hollow although i'm not sure you can really tell if it's clogged by the sound or not. The long trim fuel was trying to lean itself out for the longest time even after reseting them with the interceptor -20.7 but it's finally back to 0.0 but still no start. Please anyone have any ideas? Thanks guys!

Last edited by KrayzieDiablo; 10-31-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should probably pull the plugs again and take alook at them as they are probably fouled.
Give them a good cleaning with some kind of spray cleaner and try it again.

If it stalls again take them out again and seee if they are soaked in fuel or not (At least you will know if its flooding on you)

Could be your Maf sensor needs replacing.When you cleaned it you put it back the right way?are you Sure?

Just thought of something did you get gas that night ,maybe you have bad gas try adding some type of fuel conditioner that will disperse the water if there is any !

Last edited by Coblasts; 11-01-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:39 PM

Yea I put the MAF, some reason even though the MAF was giving a reading it wasn't reading correctly just with the ignition on it had 470 for frequency my mom has a base cobalt I pulled her MAF and tried it one mine frequency went to 0 and fired right up and continued to run so anyone else that might get this problem in the future my fix was the MAF. Thanks everyone for the idea's and help!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned

methanol + catalytic converter = this thread.