Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Vibrating/Pulsating Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibrating/Pulsating Brakes

Hello, I really need help with my 2006 Cobalt SS. At 4000 miles I took it to the dealer for pulsating brakes and they resurfaced the front rotors. At 7800 miles I took it back for the same problem and they resurfaced all 4 rotors. At 13,000 miles I took it back for the same reason and they replaced all 4 rotors. Part #15856665 and #22705356. I don't know which is front or back, but they did not replace the pads?? Now the car has 20,000 miles on it and I am getting the same problem. I can feel the brakes pulsate through the brake pedal, and get some major vibration through the steering wheel. It started out at about 60 mph but has been getting worse. The car also wanders to the left. On the third trip to the dealer I found they had let about 5 pounds of pressure fron the right front tire. They must think I am an idiot. Last winter I read about some service bulletin and repair for my car on your web sight. So I would be gratful for any help. Thank you for letting me into your community.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:23 AM

umm i'd say its either an unbalanced wheel or your rotors are warped...
Old 09-09-2007, 04:46 AM

Thank you for the quick reply, the dealer has balanced the tires on every repair (3 times) and I am sure the rotors are warped, but what is causing it to happen? GM and or Chevrolet has already achnowleged the problem with my car but is short on answers. They have offered a buy-back on there terms. I would sooner buy a Honda Civic. I would just like to the car repaired.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:49 AM

could be the break pads and the lack of heat dissipation from the rotors, the stock gm pads have metal shavings in them so they will heat up the rotors alot quicker. if i were u i'd try another brand of pads with fresh rotors...
Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If its always on the same side say right front then maybe start looking at a sticky caliper.
Is one pad worn more than the other ,thats a sign!
Do your brakes squeal, you have glazed the rotors which cause them to warp more rapidly and the remedy for that is to Quite riding them.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:17 PM

I really appreciate all your suggestions, I making note of them all, so please keep them coming. And believe me, I am a one footed driver. That is why I drive a SS instead of SS/SC. I gave up shifting when my RX7 let go. I do most of my driving on the Interstate or at least a 4 lane road. So I am sure this contributes to the heat problem. Does anyone know of any service bulletin or new and improved parts (rotors & pads) GM might be using? thanks
Old 09-09-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by inaworldoflint
I do most of my driving on the Interstate or at least a 4 lane road. So I am sure this contributes to the heat problem. Does anyone know of any service bulletin or new and improved parts (rotors & pads) GM might be using? thanks
I don't know why you are having so much trouble with warped rotors. I'm not flaming you but somehow you are overheating them. Since you are mostly on the highway I could see where they could get hot slowing down from freeway speeds all the time.

I've heard some people say that if your lugs aren't torqued evenly that they can cause your rotors to warp because of uneven pressure on the hub. I don't necessarily agree with that idea but it is something to look at.
I'd consider trying softer pads, something like the Hawks, they are supposed to stop quicker but I don't know if they would put less heat into the rotor. The softer pads are supposed to glaze less too, and glazed pads can warp a rotor quickly.

G/L, hope this helps!
Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rotor warp is a result of uneven heating of the rotor itself. It can be caused by a wheel not being torqued correctly, or the caliper slide bolts binding up. By now, I have believe they know which wheel is the consistently bad one. Look into the caliper on that wheel. If it's not a specific wheel, then they are torquing your wheels weird.