Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Weird Brake Noise after changing pads and rotors is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Brake Noise after changing pads and rotors is this normal?

Just like the title says around yesterday I installed brand new Wagner brake pads and ProStop rotors on all 4 wheels. Then after that I took her for a spin I made sure to brake them in by going slow at first then increasing speed and everything seemed to be normal. But now one day later when I press in the brake pedal just a little bit when coming to a stop there is a VERY Loud echoing deep low noise kind of sounds like a semi truck stopping that happens very frequently but not all the time. What could this be?
Old 07-23-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 544 Likes on 467 Posts
Did you clean the rotors before installing them? They ship with a preservant grease for extended shelf life.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
Did you clean the rotors before installing them? They ship with a preservant grease for extended shelf life.
I did wipe them off a little bit but now after washing my car i found out the rotors are still very dirty so maybe it's the oils still there making that sound. Can I just take the tires off and spray brake clean and wipe?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 544 Likes on 467 Posts
Absolutely. Brake cleaner is highly recommended to completely clean all oils from the rotor before install. However, since this wasn't done prior to your install, those oils are now embedded into your brake pads, which will take some time to wear through, depending on the soakage.

Obviously do NOT spray brake cleaner on your pads.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProfDNS:
cluelessk (07-24-2017), Naresh A Sookraj (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ProfDNS
Absolutely. Brake cleaner is highly recommended to completely clean all oils from the rotor before install. However, since this wasn't done prior to your install, those oils are now embedded into your brake pads, which will take some time to wear through, depending on the soakage.

Obviously do NOT spray brake cleaner on your pads.
x2 Don't soak the pads.
The following users liked this post:
Naresh A Sookraj (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by cluelessk
x2 Don't soak the pads.
Thanks guys It's my bad for not cleaning the rotors properly before install, this was my first brake job but thank you so much for the help